NEW iPhone 3G S

ThomD

Explorer
As opposed to Corporate Policy of not having control? The corporate policy statement doesn't make sense.

What applications do you need?

Apple says "You buy our hardware, you must use our software to interact with it. You can only load programs that you get through our approved channels." What's unclear about iTunes and the App store?

I need applictions that do not run on any platform other than WinMo. But that isn't the point of my disagreement with Apple.

DH2002

Adventurer
Teathering is not avaliable on the iphone at this time. Heck AT&T data network is having issues handling the iphone traffic, they dont want even heavier users on it.

I can teather with my google G1 phone, but t-mobile doesnt have a full 3g network yet so its pretty slow in my area, but will work in a pinch.

There was a program availible called Netshare that allowed you to use your laptop through your iphone to jump on the network but ATT found out and quickly banned it. If you still have it is still works you just cant buy it through apps anymore

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
New phone allows a laptop internet connection. What's it cost to trade up before the end of the old phone contract?
Tethering is part of the iPhone OS 3.0, so this feature could work on existing phones, too. If AT&T allowed it.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Teathering is not avaliable on the iphone at this time. Heck AT&T data network is having issues handling the iphone traffic, they dont want even heavier users on it.
Which doesn't make sense, since AT&T already offers tethering on something like a dozen other smart phones on their network. I think they just haven't figured out a way to price it to maximize their last year of the service contract with the iPhone before Verizon and T-Mobile get their crack. I will be moving from AT&T when I get the chance, that's for sure.

leeawalden

Adventurer
Tethering isn't available even on the 3g S I thought, at least in the US for now?

Anyway...I just tried to plug up to iTunes, but no update. Has anyone else downloaded the update??

haven

Expedition Leader
ATT's upgrade policy has received a lot of criticism from early adopters
of the iPhone. People who already have an iPhone and who want to
upgrade to the 3GS have to pay full retail price for the phone. That's
$600 for the 16-GB model and $700 for the 32 GB model.

ATT has responded by allowing people whose 2 year contract with the
iPhone is up this Summer to replace their original iPhones now with the
new 3GS model for the same subsidized price that new ATT customers
pay, that is, $200 and $300. That's a $400 savings.

People whose contracts do not expire in the next few months are still
looking at a $600 or $700 outlay to upgrade to the 3GS. Maybe after
the initial wave of upgrades has passed, ATT will consider helping the
rest of us upgrade.

Or maybe Apple will sell the iPhone or a similar new model through
Verizon Wireless starting next year, when ATT's exclusive expires.

haven

Expedition Leader
Great news! Did you apply for the upgrade in person at an ATT store?
Or did you call, or contact ATT online?

6Pins

Adventurer
AT&T can't support tethering or picture SMS b/c they don't have the capacity on their wireless network. Average usage on a Apple device is about 1/2 a gig of data per month. Multiply that out by the number of devices and you see the problem. Apple doesn't compress its data packets to the same level that most smart phones (vs. Blackberry which compresses data packet to about 70-80% of their size).

smbisig

Adventurer
Great news! Did you apply for the upgrade in person at an ATT store?
Or did you call, or contact ATT online?

neither, i jumped on apple.com and ordered it.

friends of mine who also have the 3G, and for longer than i tried and they said they would be charged a $20 upgrade fee and have to agree to a new 2 year contract, but they get the phone at the promo price.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
We bought new phones today since we were due to upgrade our old phones... I opted for the iPhone 3g 16GB for $149 since I didnt want to be on a waiting list... but I have 30 days if I want to change my mind.

The 3G is more than good enough for me I think.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I finally was able to determine that we 1st Generation iPhone users qualify for the "new customer" discounted cost. Apparently, the rest of the upgrade costs are far less straightforward, and differ for each person due to a complicated formula used by ATT based on length of membership, usage, and other factors.

Scroll down about halfway through this article:
http://www.macworld.com/article/141143/2009/06/iphone3gs_faq.html?lsrc=nl_mwiphone_h_cbintro

The basic rules in the U.S. appear to be: If you purchased the original iPhone, you're immediately eligible for “new customer” pricing (otherwise known as Apple's advertised $199 and $299 prices). If you purchased the iPhone 3G, AT&T subsidized the cost of that phone via the two-year contract you signed, so you don't get the lowest price. However, if you purchased the iPhone 3G more than a year ago—and remember, it hasn't quite been a year since the iPhone 3G's debut—you should be eligible for AT&T's “early upgrade” price on the 3G S: $299 and $399 for the 16GB and 32GB models, respectively. So if you bought the iPhone 3G on opening day (July 11, 2008), you'll be able to buy the 3G S at a partial discount on July 11, 2009. (Note that this will require you to extend your AT&T contract until two years from the new purchase date.) If you purchased the iPhone 3G more recently, the prices are $399 and $499. Oh, and you'll also have to pay an $18 “upgrade fee” regardless of which price you're eligible for.

But wait, there's more! It's also possible to pay AT&T's $175 early-termination fee to cancel your current contract and then start over with a new contract, paying a lower price for the iPhone 3G S along with a $39 activation fee; however, there's no requirement for AT&T to treat you like a “new” customer, so this approach is risky. (Plus there's a chance you could lose your phone number.)

That seems simple enough, right? Unfortunately, the real-world experiences of Macworld's editors and readers indicate that the situation isn't quite this straightforward. AT&T uses an internal formula based on numerous factors, including your tenure as a customer, your billing plan, and your bill-paying history, to determine which upgrade price you're offered. We've seen all sorts of different prices when various members of our staff and their friends and relatives have punched in their phone numbers on Apple's Web site. You won't know what deal AT&T is offering you until you ask.

Aggie

Adventurer
I updated my 3G yesterday and love the sideways keyboard for Email and Text messaging. The Search functionhas already come in handy also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94