NEW iPhone 3G S

SMD

Adventurer
New phone allows a laptop internet connection. What's it cost to trade up before the end of the old phone contract?

I believe it's $499/599/699 for the 8/16/32GB phones respectively.

Waiting for my current contract to expire in November...

soonenough

Explorer
I believe it's $499/599/699 for the 8/16/32GB phones respectively.

Waiting for my current contract to expire in November...
What price do you get if you're a current ATT customer, but you're due for an upgrade? Is it just $150 off the full price of the phone? I've been with ATT for less than 2 years so I'm not sure how the process works with them.

haven

Expedition Leader
"it's $499/599/699 for the 8/16/32GB phones..."

For people who have older iPhone models and a current ATT
contract, I think these are the correct prices to upgrade to the
new 3GS phone. Basically, you have to buy a new phone at
full retail price. Then you can sell your old iPhone on eBay
to recoup some of the cost to upgrade.

However, you can kill your current ATT contract if you pay a
$175 cancellation fee. It might be cheaper to cancel the current
contract, pay the $175, start a new contract for $200, and skip
the eBay part.

Chip Haven

Spur

Adventurer
I've been wanting an iphone for a while now. I've hesitated because I'm happy with Verizon and I've had bad experiences with ATT. But, the new 3GS was too tempting. I pre-ordered the 32 GB model today. :drool:

Now I can start reading about all the millions of apps I want to download!

dzzz

New phone allows a laptop internet connection. What's it cost to trade up before the end of the old phone contract?

To correct my post, apparently no laptop connection for the U.S. market at this time. boo ATT

gary in ohio

Explorer
To correct my post, apparently no laptop connection for the U.S. market at this time. boo ATT

Teathering is not avaliable on the iphone at this time. Heck AT&T data network is having issues handling the iphone traffic, they dont want even heavier users on it.

I can teather with my google G1 phone, but t-mobile doesnt have a full 3g network yet so its pretty slow in my area, but will work in a pinch.

RgrBox

Adventurer
You should break into it, and do what you want too do.. everyone except me does that already.. I have a client who broke into his, and changed almost everything.. he's had a video on his since they came out.. plus all kinds of other kool things.. he can even retrive infomation from his work and home comuptors on his..

RB

haven

Expedition Leader
"As long as Apple decides what software I'm allowed to run on my phone, include me out. "

What applications do you want to run that aren't among the 45,000
apps available through iTunes? Just curious.

ThomD

Explorer
"As long as Apple decides what software I'm allowed to run on my phone, include me out. "

What applications do you want to run that aren't among the 45,000
apps available through iTunes? Just curious.

I need applications that are not compatible, so this is all moot.

Having said that, I dislike Apple's corporate policy of central control. It would not matter if they supported and approved every app I needed, I still would not buy an Apple product.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I need applications that are not compatible, so this is all moot.

Having said that, I dislike Apple's corporate policy of central control.

As opposed to Corporate Policy of not having control? The corporate policy statement doesn't make sense.

What applications do you need?

pangaea

Adventurer
As opposed to Corporate Policy of not having control? The corporate policy statement doesn't make sense.

What applications do you need?

While I agree that it kind of sucks that Apple has final say in apps, I understand their rationale. To kick it old school here, its widely regarded that the completely open platform for game development is what ultimately killed the Atari game system back in the 80s. Anyone could put out an Atari game of dubious quality, sell it on the open market and a lot of people had a crappy experience. Learning from this, Nintendo implemented a licensing process for their games not unlike the app store (although admittedly a bit less arbitrary than Apple's approval standards)... compare where the two companies are now for a fair guess of which model worked best.

An approval system gives Apple a bit tighter control of app quality and user experience (which we all know is something Steve Jobs is big on). So while I don't entirely like it, I understand where Apple is coming from and why they're limiting apps.

Oh, and I REALLY want tethering on my iPhone 3G, and a live out like ScreenSplitr or DemoGod

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles