NEW iPhone 3G S

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I wish we could stay with Verizon, but our contract is up and I plan to buy a pair of them soon. The 3GS looks like a nice upgrade.

Bighead

Adventurer
My contract expires in July...

url

haven

Expedition Leader
The "S" in 3GS is for "speed." The new phone is faster with most file operations, like launching programs, saving photos. Somehow the battery life is improved at the same time, maybe as much as 33% longer.

The iPhone 3GS camera is upgraded to 3 megapixels. The camera features improved auto focus, and a "tap to focus" feature that allows you to touch the screen to select a point where the camera should focus. The camera can capture stills and video up to 30 frames per second.

One new application that might interest ExPo readers: A digital compass that displays longitude, latitude, and precise direction. In related news, Tom Tom Go announced a hardware accessory for the iPhone that provides turn-by-turn street navigation so you don't have to squint at the iPhone while driving.

The 3GS will be available June 19. Prices are $199 for the 16GB model and $299 for the 32 GB unit. Each offers twice as much memory for the same money as the old 3G phone. These prices are through ATT and require a 2 year service contract.

Apple will now offer the 8GB 3G for $99 through ATT.

Apple claims there are 50,000 applications for the iPhone, which have been downloaded 1 million times through the iTunes store. Among them are several topo map readers.

Chip Haven

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I wish we could stay with Verizon, but our contract is up and I plan to buy a pair of them soon. The 3GS looks like a nice upgrade.

The only downside is leaving Verizon. I may have to wait for the "3GS.2" since I still have 10 months to go and they will probably have the next version out in 12 months or so.

haven

Expedition Leader
The deal between Apple and ATT for exclusive distribution
of the iPhone ends in mid-2010. Verizon Wireless really, really wants
a piece of the action. One way around the exclusive deal is for Apple
to introduce another device, say an iPhone with a slide-out keyboard,
or a model with a larger touch screen, and give it a name that doesn't
include the word "phone."

dzzz

New phone allows a laptop internet connection. What's it cost to trade up before the end of the old phone contract?

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I had Verizon for 12 years prior to switching to ATT and the iPhone when it first came out and have never looked back. Last year I spent the night out in front of the ATT store when the 3G came out and plan to do the same on the 19th.

There is nothing that compares to it....everything else is a "wannabe", nothing compares to the iPhone. Yea, it cost a bit more to have but Apple has been pretty good with the updates and upgrades. I know it's not for everyone, but I would highly recommend it for people that like the "wow" factor, and won't be disappointed.

Besides....my favorite camping spot just got 3G, how can you beat that? :)

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
The deal between Apple and ATT for exclusive distribution
of the iPhone ends in mid-2010. Verizon Wireless really, really wants
a piece of the action. One way around the exclusive deal is for Apple
to introduce another device, say an iPhone with a slide-out keyboard,
or a model with a larger touch screen, and give it a name that doesn't
include the word "phone."

Well I'm locked into Verizon until May 2010 so if this comes to fruition then I'll be a happy camper.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I was the opposite, an ATT customer since my first cell phone then switched to Verizon a few years ago when a friend I was working with always had better coverage than I. He was also a former ATT guy, but went back for the iPhone.

I know the iPhone is supposed to work great with a PC, but being a Mac guy (have never owned a PC) it just seems like an iPhone will be a great tool. My biggest complaint thus far has been the quality/interface of the 'phone' (I have many friends with iPhones). I want my cell phone to be a great phone first, and other stuff second, but I think I'm in the minority here.

No doubt the iPhone is a powerful little computer.

I had Verizon for 12 years prior to switching to ATT and the iPhone when it first came out and have never looked back. Last year I spent the night out in front of the ATT store when the 3G came out and plan to do the same on the 19th.

There is nothing that compares to it....everything else is a "wannabe", nothing compares to the iPhone. Yea, it cost a bit more to have but Apple has been pretty good with the updates and upgrades. I know it's not for everyone, but I would highly recommend it for people that like the "wow" factor, and won't be disappointed.

Besides....my favorite camping spot just got 3G, how can you beat that? :)

Would love to get one, but I had bad luck with the ATT network...it's all about Verizon, especially when we're in Mammoth Lakes. I too, am waiting until they get a piece of the iPhone, and then I'll camp out in front of the store. Until then, it's the Blackberry:smilies27

haven

Expedition Leader
Microsoft had a program to pay cash back when you purchase an
item you searched for using MS Live Search. Microsoft recently renamed
the search program, "Bing," and the web site became http://www.bing.com

Bing continues to offer the cash back program. Bing can get you a 35%
discount for the new iPhone 3GS when you pre-order through the
ATT web site. Details here

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/930265/

Note that this is for new ATT accounts only. Folks like me with a
current ATT account have to pay a lot more to upgrade to the new iPhone.

DH2002

Adventurer
I have a 3g and as cool as some of the features are like the voice and video, it just doesnt have that much of a wow factor as its predessecor (spelling?) had. definatly a cool phone but it doesn't make me want to drop the one I have and get it like I did with the 1st iphone. I will get it when my contract expires though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles