New Here. Searching for the perfect camper van, looking for guidance

evo85

Hello!

This is my first post. I live in a house now but lived in a Winnebago Rialta for 3 years. I took it all over the United States boondocking and lived in urban Los Angeles with it for a year too. It even survived a trip from south Florida to Alaska and back. I had some great times in that thing before it burnt down in storage due to someone else’s carelessness.

My girlfriend and I are moving out west to Arizona and so a camper van is a possibility again (for weekend / occasional couple week long trips). I am in a good spot financially now and want something nice that I will hopefully never have to sell for an upgrade.

I have done some research but people on this forum seem more knowledgeable about how I would intend to use it versus a standard RV forum.

It seems like I must choose between the Dodge Promaster / Fiat Ducato, Mercedes Sprinter, and Ford E350 chassis. Of these my favorite is the Sprinter due to the looks (not the newest one that just came out though, which looks terrible) the space, and the powertrain. E350 would be next for the same reasons. Promaster would be last due to being pretty ugly and having a little gas v6 with FWD.

I used an RV Campground and hooked into shore power maybe once in the whole 3 years I owned my Rialta. I will likely do it more often with my girlfriend, but still the point of camping for us is getting away from large gatherings of people. A campground defeats that. This thing needs to be able to boondock.

I checked out a Winnebago Travato 59GL and they have a new Volta lithium battery system with automotive grade batteries that can basically run everything without the need for propane or a generator. By far the most annoying part of owning the Rialta was dealing with the 3 different power systems, all of which sucked. The batteries had low capacity, the LP gas tank was small and you had to worry about parking level etc, and the generator was obnoxiously loud and vibrated violently. I swear it was as loud as a jet engine. I never want to deal with that again and I want something that can just run exclusively on electricity.

I don’t know if this Volta system is available in anything other than the Winnebagos, or if they are just branding a pack of lithium batteries that I could just get in a custom build, or do as an upgrade to another model of rig. Anyone know?

My girlfriend has problems sleeping so I need to be able to run the AC all night if we are in a hot environment. I would then hopefully be able to run the engine for an hour or two the next day and fully charge the batteries again for another night. I have seen some companies doing a 48V second alternator on the Sprinter engine that will automatically kick the engine on when the batteries get low. That might work but my concern is that the engine is a diesel, which are typically loud. A diesel ticking away would disturb her sleep too. Maybe it’s quiet though, to be honest I have never started a Sprinter up. It’s on my agenda but with this whole virus thing, who knows when I’ll do it.

Other musts:
4WD or convertible to 4WD
At least mid-teens MPG
At least a foot of ground clearance, preferably more, or able to be lifted
Ability to take at least a 33 inch tire all around
Probably 2010+ model year chassis
Fridge
Cooktop and microwave or convection oven

I’m not going to kid myself and think that I can take a full camper rock crawling or doing serious offroading, but I would like to take it off road. By that I mean I want the ability to drive off into a field, down a rough dirt road, through mud, snow, or heavy rain, washboard roads like in Alaska,etc with confidence. I took my Rialta places it had no business going and it survived, but I don’t know how.

I’m not sure if I want a wet bath or not. I never used it on my Rialta because the water tank capacity was Not very high and there was usually a lake, campground, or truck stop available within a couple days. The girlfriend might appreciate it. Having a toilet is nice but the black tank, at least in the Rialta, was gross and didn’t seem to seal properly all the time. The ones you can flush out with fresh water are interesting. I see some of you have cassette toilets and those seem nice because they’re compact and don’t require a dump station but I am not very familiar with them or how they work.

I was looking at Exclusive Outfitters, seems like they make some cool vans, but can’t find much third party information on them.

A user here recently posted an Airstream sprinter with a bunch of modifications for over landing in the classifieds. Seems like it would be damn near perfect but I am not in the market right this second.

does anyone have any guidance on what to do? I feel like I’ll be needing to take a big manufacturer chassis like Airstream / Winnebago and modify it or go completely custom.

evo85

Oh and has to be 21 feet or less (I don’t like being restricted to certain roads). Maybe a foot or two longer and I could fudge it. And must be insulated for all season use.

willywalderbeast

Master of None
I think you biggest problem is going to be hitting your “mid teens MPG” while also getting 4x4, 33”+ tires, and over a foot of ground clearance. Even with a sprinter, once lifted and on 33s or bigger your going to be hard pressed to get mid teens. My buddy I’m traveling with has a E350 7.3 diesel on 35 and he isn’t mid teens mpg either. I’m on 33s, E350 chassis with a V10 and I’m getting 10mpgs only. Not sure you can get a foot of ground clearance in a promaster van due to the rear axle setup.

A modified Chinook RV might check a lot of your boxes off tho. Something similar to mine, although it wouldn’t be 2010 +.
80283536-64D8-46AC-93AA-8BFC51B5214D.jpeg645644C8-EF9A-4E81-9D8D-8244D872A737.jpeg

Abitibi

Explorer
I will be selling mine shortly, once that virus madness slows down. It fits most of your needs. I pulled down my add but have a look at my build post to see if it could work.

Unfortunately there's not a whole lot of options for what you are looking for...

74696e44352a1c46745878f5e3ed2454.jpg

rruff

Explorer
Price?

I know it's a tough decision. It's especially hard when you are trying to accommodate another person who doesn't really know what they want.

Some thoughts:
You need to decide how important the offroad ability is to you. Modding a van for 4wd is costly, and ground clearance and tire size will still be limited. A truck with a custom camper-box is a better bet, IMO. The camper can be removable when not camping and you can use the truck for other things. It's also nice to have two pieces; if one part needs work it can be left somewhere by itself. Lifts and good shocks are readily available and 35s and 37s are easy to fit. If you are handy you can outfit the interior yourself... or find someone local who can do it. I think keeping it simple and modular (not a luxury interior with everything built-in and permanent) is a good approach since you aren't sure of your needs.
Forget "mid-teens mpg"... you'd probably need to limit yourself to little diesels, or maybe a light pop-top to make that. Also, the Sprinters have issues with their diesel engines failing emissions once they get some miles on them. That scratched them off my list. I wouldn't get a diesel at all. Gas is cheaper than it's been for 20 years in real terms.
If it's so hot you need to run AC at night, then you parked in the wrong place! AZ has mountains all around, use them in the summer. Many top vents have fans in them to draw in cool air.
Use solar for electric charging, not a generator and not the engine.

Having said all that, since this will only be for short trips, a good 4wd truck with a mass produced slide-in might fit the bill. It would be an easy and relatively cheap way to go, and it would have all the luxuries. The campers are heavy and not really made to take a pounding, and storage is limited... but it might work for you. If not, you could sell it and put a custom camper on your truck. You'll have a better idea of what you need then.

simple

Adventurer
I've been searching for the perfect camper van for 20 years and haven't found it yet. Owned a handful of them and they all have trade offs. Have you ruled out a truck with slide in camper?

iggi

Ian
In my converted ambulance driving a strict 55mph without much wind I can get 16MPG (US) at 4000 feet altitude
It's a 2009 E350 with the 6.0 PSD and a 4.11 rear diff.
Driving a usual 65-70 though I average closer to 14mpg

@Abitibi has essentially the same rig but older with the7.3 and converted to 4x4. If I recall correctly he gets better fuel economy than I expected given how much taller his is.

IMG_0075.jpg

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Your electrical needs are high and will require a large $,$$$ budget. Imho the rest of your needs are reasonably obtained.

Binky

Like Iggy, I get 14-16 MPG w/my 7.3 IDI 4x4 Econoline350, but that is without a galley, (greatly expanded) power system or grey/blackwater system.
I expect that mileage to drop further as I add weight.
One thought on the overnight A/C. The little Honda generators are pretty quiet. One of those outside in a sound box might cover your needs.

John

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
You've got some reading to do. Put simply, some of your expectations are a bit unrealistic. For example, there is no battery system I am aware of that will support running AC overnight and can be charged with an hour or two if idling the vehicle's motor. Alternator charging, especially at idle, just doesn't put out enough current. A TON of solar might get you where you want to be, but the fact remains that Air Conditioning uses a lot of juice.

That said, some of the other trade-offs are possible but spendy. Microwave and induction cooktops also use a lot of current. The Winnebago Revel made a push towards the "all electric" off-grid camper with induction, but I do not believe it supports a microwave - so you can use that as a model, but you'll need to aim high with your inverter sizing. The question becomes do you really need a microwave? What would you cook in it that could not be done with direct heat?

If you've got 4WD or AWD in the "must" category, take the Promaster all the way off your list. They're FWD with no conversion path that I'm aware of in North America.

Regarding cassette toilets and porta-potty's, the key part of their function is the portable black-tank, which enables you to dump the tank in any regular toilet. A few people get squinchy about it, but it's really not that unpleasant and I find it to be a MASSIVE increase in convenience. In my large city, the nearest RV dump station is 30+ minutes from home (in the opposite direction from where we camp), so if our rig had a traditional blank tank, it would be an entire extra hour at the end of every trip (usually on Sunday evenings, when I'm tired and just want to get clean and go to bed!) Having a cassette means I can dump it in the home toilet. Super easy. Some folks even have access to their sewer cleanout somewhere near their driveway, so they can dump straight into that without even bringing the cassette inside. I've also dumped the cassette in rest station toilets and campground vault toilets. The cassettes are well-sealed against odor - ours rides inside a cabinet inside the van and we never smell it. Our previous potty rode right between the front seats! (Same result, no smell.)

Lastly, no mention of budget? By way of level-setting, I will say that a Winnebago Revel meets most, but not all of your criteria and tend to run around $120k+ street price.

sendraCHINOOK

I think you biggest problem is going to be hitting your “mid teens MPG” while also getting 4x4, 33”+ tires, and over a foot of ground clearance. Even with a sprinter, once lifted and on 33s or bigger your going to be hard pressed to get mid teens. My buddy I’m traveling with has a E350 7.3 diesel on 35 and he isn’t mid teens mpg either. I’m on 33s, E350 chassis with a V10 and I’m getting 10mpgs only. Not sure you can get a foot of ground clearance in a promaster van due to the rear axle setup.

A modified Chinook RV might check a lot of your boxes off tho. Something similar to mine, although it wouldn’t be 2010 +.
View attachment 579258View attachment 579259
Is this pic above a modified chinook? If so, curious what model it is. Doesnt look like a concourse. Did you do interior mods?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yeah, dont be too concerned about MPG.
Diesels have their place, and will return decent MPG, but its essentially a wash (or worse) when you factor in purchase price, maintenance and repair.

Find the rig you like and can afford, and go with it.

Take care of it, and just keep feeding it fuel, and it will return the favor with memories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior