New Here, New Alaskan Project

Nailhead

I just bought this ‘69 Alaskan:

f6084a5ff95c6cbc3ee9e8100e6a9fe1.jpg

It’s in good shape inside (with the exception of lift cylinder o-rings), looks & even smells like the one my grandpa had in the early ‘70’s. The roof, clearance lights, and some window components are hail damaged.

It’ll go on this...

55a42088144e31032a45edb776ab3a70.jpg

...because it’s reasonably priced, geared low, and plenty capable of carrying whatever I put on it. It’s also old, simple, & cool— the way I like trucks. It needs a rear main seal and some interior parts.

The first of many Alaskan questions: how difficult would it be to replace the dented roof skin? I see it’s held on there with many zip screws securing an aluminum channel, with some sealant between.

Where would one procure the material for said repair?

Also, are those teardrop clearance lights still available?

Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ripperj

Explorer
Looks like it will be a nice retro rig. If you want, check out my build/rebuild link in my sig., there are lots of other builds here and on Wander the West that have the roof removed. The roof replacement often turns into a major effort, because you are very likely to find soggy wood underneath. The roof skin is a project, not that hard, just real time consuming. The roof is held on with lots of presumably rusty nails and staples that are hard to get out. I got all my replacement sheet metal from California, it was the only place I could find that could make the old school looking 4" pattern. I think it was $1400 for the whole camper, and another $4-500 to ship cross country to Ct.
No trying to be a downer, but you might want to just start using it. My build basically took 3 winters and ended up being 90% from scratch, mostly because i'm too picky. I regret losing that camping time with my son.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole

That's a pretty cool old beast! Probably super low geared, my work had a '71 that we used as a shop truck for a couple years after I started, it wasn't fast but that 392 was an absolute pulling beast with those gears, always wanted one like this to modernize a little, like fuel injection, OD trans, A/C, just improve the original a little!
Glad to see people keeping these cool rides going, take care of it and it'll last a long time!

Nailhead

Looks like it will be a nice retro rig. If you want, check out my build/rebuild link in my sig., there are lots of other builds here and on Wander the West that have the roof removed. The roof replacement often turns into a major effort, because you are very likely to find soggy wood underneath. The roof skin is a project, not that hard, just real time consuming. The roof is held on with lots of presumably rusty nails and staples that are hard to get out. I got all my replacement sheet metal from California, it was the only place I could find that could make the old school looking 4" pattern. I think it was $1400 for the whole camper, and another $4-500 to ship cross country to Ct.
No trying to be a downer, but you might want to just start using it. My build basically took 3 winters and ended up being 90% from scratch, mostly because i'm too picky. I regret losing that camping time with my son.

Thank you for the input. The roof isn't leaking that I can see, it just looks awful with all that hail damage. Even so, I think I've shelved the reskin plan for cost reasons.

Nailhead

That's a pretty cool old beast! Probably super low geared, my work had a '71 that we used as a shop truck for a couple years after I started, it wasn't fast but that 392 was an absolute pulling beast with those gears, always wanted one like this to modernize a little, like fuel injection, OD trans, A/C, just improve the original a little!
Glad to see people keeping these cool rides going, take care of it and it'll last a long time!

Thanks!

4.88's with a 304. At some point, it'll get A/C, maybe FI. It's got a divorced case, so many possibilities for repower, also.

GoinBoardin

Observer
Thank you for the input. The roof isn't leaking that I can see, it just looks awful with all that hail damage. Even so, I think I've shelved the reskin plan for cost reasons.
My FWC roof looked bad when I was rebuilding the camper, and I was really tempted to reskin it too, but now that it's on the truck I never see it and with no leaks, I'm glad I didn't reskin. Like you, it was for budget reasons, and I do think this is an OK area to save (as long as you can keep it sealed).

Nailhead

My FWC roof looked bad when I was rebuilding the camper, and I was really tempted to reskin it too, but now that it's on the truck I never see it and with no leaks, I'm glad I didn't reskin. Like you, it was for budget reasons, and I do think this is an OK area to save (as long as you can keep it sealed).

Yeah, I'm just going to grin & bear it, so to speak.

Tennmogger

Explorer
That is a nice project! Those old International trucks really are work horses. I drove a 1969 1 ton Travelall for geology work in '69 or '70 and hauled a ton of rock core samples many times. Your truck will hardly feel the weight of the Alaskan. My old 1970 Alaskan is sort of beat up too. No hail damage but has lots of creases from trail-side trees. The hail damage just adds character!

Call Alaskan Camper and give them the model and they can provide o-rings for the cylinders plus a (recommended) kit for the pump. It is rather inconvenient to get to a campsite and not be able to raise the top :)

Another suggestion, rebuild your front axle lockers asap. They self destruct if not maintained. Then don't rely on the "automatic" feature (looks like that model anyway).

Have fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles