New here in need of some direction

Sandcoma

Ok guys so quick run down ive spent the past few years in a toyota tacoma with roof top tent and camper shell. Tired of the payments so ill be getting rid of it within a few weeks. ( lease )

Have wanted to get a van for awhile now and finally am able to being lease is coming up. Im a forklift technician by trade so have the tools/mechanic skill to have a bit of a project.

This van will not be my every day driver but primarily used on weekends for camping/traveling.

There are two local listing near me and I seriously cannont decide on which route would be better to go.

First option is a 99 E350 with a 7.3 that has 258k miles on the clock
Body is in decent shape with a couple dents and light surface rust spots. Interor in in excellent shape. Priced at 5750 and 6 hour drive away

Second option is a 01 chevy 3500 passenger van with the Quigley conversion. Has 214k on the clock. And van is equally to the ford as far as exterior and interior condition. Priced at 3500 and 45min drive away

If i went with the ford a 4x4 conversion would be put into works.

The chevy just needs some tlc and a little lift

Obviously both vans will be guted and interior will be built out. Possibly goinng with pop tops aswell

My question is what would make more sense go with the gas burner with 4x4 or go with the iconic diesel that needs 4x4 conversion.

Thanks for any advice!

OverlandNA

The Ford appears to be less abused in the pics provided. Do either have service records available?
It sounds like $$ is a concern. Are you ready to dive in to the bottomless pit of high mileage vans?

Sandcoma

The money side isnt a huge deal as far as after the initial purchase. The ford does appear to be in decent shape. It was used for work.

The chevy is owned by a family with 10 kids and was used to haul them around.

The guy with the chevy says he has always had it serviced. Not sure if there is records to prove. He has had t since 160k miles.

The ford owner just purchased to buy and sell a few months ago and doesnt have any history on it.

dleeallen

Adventurer
You will find that the Ford has way better support for parts for camper stuff. Chevy, especially earlier ones, are very limited. Most builders do Fords.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dleeallen

Adventurer
I also think adding 4x4 would be a lot more expensive than finding one already with it. It's up to you to know if you really even need the 4x4. If you can deal with 2wd and a locker and lift you will save a ton of money and open up a bigger van market to choose from. You can get a van that is twice as nice for half the money if 2wd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eblau

Adventurer
Unless you are towing and want to hear the awesome sound of the 7.3 OR simply want to pay more for fuel and oil changes I'd look for a gasser E250/ E350.... Also- consider how much you will be using your van offroad in order to justify the cost and added complexity of 4wd. I've also noticed since being on this forum that unless the van has been done by Ujoint or one of the other modern aftermarket guys that the big name 4x4 conversions done when the vans were new kinda suck (Quigley comes to mind).

Here's a story I relate to these types of scenarios:

I was stuck on finding an 84/85 Toyota pickup for years because of the factory solid front axle. I thought that was THE truck to have to build. I spent way too much buying an 84 extended cab but whatever, it had the solid front axle! My first wheeling trip I realized how bad it was, the 22RE was gutless, the gearing was awful and I broke my drag link in half on a rock. I had to fix it on the trail and then tow it home. I couldn't help thinking how much more fun my basically stock 90 4Runner equipped only with skinny 33s, a rear locker and OME suspension compared to this thing! Undeterred I proceeded to completely redo the front end, which justified redoing the rear end (5.29s, e lockers, 37s, high steer etc), dual cases, ARB bumper... the project went on so long that I lost interest and sold it. After the sale I came to the realization that I could have just started with a cheap 2wd mini truck or 2wd Tacoma and done the same thing rather than reverse engineer that ANCIENT solid front axle truck that I just HAD TO HAVE because everyone told me it was the one to have. If you are still reading at this point the moral is keep it simple and don't go after that 7.3 van at double the cost because everyone else is doing it or that Quigley for quadruple the cost because its 4x4.

Raul

Adventurer
That Chevy looks like the best deal by a long shot. I'll get the Chevy for $3,500 and never look back, unless you neeeeeeed that 7.3 PS.

I converted my Ford to 4x4 and I can not picture adding less than $8,000 to convert that 7.3 (more like $15,000 and lots of sweat).

Len.Barron

Observer
you didn't mention what engine the chevy had, if it is the 7.4 or 8.1 big block(could be either for an 01) that would be enough to tip the scales. if the 5.7 it will be reliable enough, but, power limited as soon as you add more weight with the build out..
8th digit in the VIN will tell it. R=5.7, J=7.4, G=8.1 IIRC

Last edited:

Sandcoma

Thanks for the feedback.

I mainly wanted the 7.3 just because im very familiar with the motor. Im a heavy equipment diesel mechanic by trade so i always feel more confident behind the wheel of a diesel vehicle when a breakdown occurs or repairs are needed. However im not opposed to a few of the gas motors either.

The chevy van does have the 5.7 which is a good thing in my book. As far as motor reliability and longevity.

4x4 is definitely needed for me i live in western north carolina and dont slow down on hiking or trout fishing when it snows.

The ford seller was originally going to meet if i wanted to purchase and jow has backed ot on that and im not really up for a 14hr round trip atm so im going to pass on it. Going to look at the chevy this weekend.

So quigley has a bad reputation? I was thinking it was a fairly good system. Guess i need to do a little more research.

eblau

Adventurer
The company itself doesn't have a bad reputation from what I can tell however there are a few players in the industry that offer a service to "de-quigley" your van, one of them being our forum sponsor. Might as well start with a clean 2wd and save yourself some money and headache!

Sandcoma

Understood. I definitely dont want a headach. I know the guys at ujoint im sure would be glad to give me some advice if i give them a call. They are also only about an hour away from me. Would honestly like to find a long wheel base 7.3. Im not in a rush as this will just be a toy mainly. I may pass on this chevy. But still may go check it out in person.

Scotty D

Have you thought about the AWD express? I have one and it gets great gas mileage and will rip along the beach like a dream. With a mild lift and a willingness to go slowly , it will get you to more camp spots than you imagine it will. Not in the same league offroad as your taco , but once your rig is built out the limiting factor is how much of your stuff do you want flying around the van.

Sandcoma

I have thought about them and was a little to late spotting one awhile back it sold before i could look at it. Definitely an appealing option for sure. And would rather have the 5.3 over the 5.4 triton. I definitely dont plan to off road as far as trails go. Roughest thing it will see is fire roads/jeep roads that 4x4 arent even needed on. Really just need performance in the snow and the every so often beech trip. How do these vans compare to the fords as far as reliability goes.

Scotty D

I have about 210k on mine and my buddy has 310k on his. Amazing how little maintenance is needed.
The transmission is the weak link . The 4L60E should never have had a 300hp v8 hooked to it in a full size van. If you baby it , its fine, if you try towing you will kill it. Its an easy trans to replace though and not too expensive.
The rest of the van is damn near indestructible.
Stock mine got 20mpg at 65 on the highway.
Now with KO2s, a mild lift and a ton of solar , kayaks and everything else on the roof I am down to 16

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online