New Here, have a couple questions about my Fuso.

ajamesr

Two days ago I made my bank account a lot lighter and bought myself my dream camper. I know it's not at new or fancy as many of yours but I love it!

It's a 1993 "Earth Run" camper imported from Japan, with 75,000 Kilometers (46K miles) and a 4.2L 4D33 engine (I'm pretty sure), and of course 4WD.

I found this forum last night and spent most of the night reading posts and learning as much as I could, but there were some things I couldn't find any information about, so forgive me if these questions have been discussed before and I just missed them.

First off how do I tell what model of Fuso it is? I read people talk about different models, like the FE 639 or whatnot, I think as I understand the FG means 4WD? but according to Wikipedia there was also something called a FD Guts that was 4WD. Wiki also says there should be a 4-5 digit model code like FE305BD, where would I find that? On the title or stamped on the cab somewhere?

My next question is about the electric system, mine has a 24V system for the cab, is this normal for the Fusos or is it just for that JDM models? If it is normal what issues have you run into with it? Also how would I replace the in-dash stereo with a newer one, do I have to order a 24V stereo or can I get some kind of voltage reducer?

I have a million more questions, but in order to not annoy you all with my first post, I will limit myself to just one more topic for now. I know this topic has been discussed a lot before, but I couldn't find much discussion that is relevant to my Canter.

So I want to know about tires and wheels. I would LOVE to get some super singles for it, but I'm having a hard time finding 5-lug versions, I messaged a few websites you all recommended and no far the only one to respond is ATW, who says they can get them, but they are $657 each, and take up to 6 months to order. I can't wait that long as my current tires are very weather cracked and need to be replaced asap. So unless someone can recommend a place who could get or make 5-lug super singles in the next couple weeks, I will probably stick with the duals, at least for now. So that brings me to my real question: what size tire can I fit on the stock rims? It came with 205/85R16, no one in the USA seems to carry that size except a few commercial truck suppliers, who only sell highway tread. Of course I would like some nice AT tire. I can find a few 215/85r16, and even more 235/75r16. So how wide is too wide for duals? I would love to go taller to reduce the RPMs even a little, but I'm not sure I can get much taller without going too wide for the rear.

Thank you all in advance for your help, and thank you for just being here, it took me a long time to find a forum that was relevant to my camper.
camper.jpg

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
The model should be shown on the compliance plate; it is part of the VIN, which is also stamped into the chassis. The compliance plate is located in the cab, behind the seats and the VIN can be found by looking in the front wheel well. On a RHD it should be on the passenger's side.
Most Canters are 12v, but obviously not all. All you need is a DC-DC converter (24v to 12v) if you want to run any 12v devices. You can get these pretty much everywhere; eBay, Amazon etc.

There are numerous members here that have trucks with 5 stud wheels. One of them might chime in on where you might get some super singles, but...
The choice of wheel size will ultimately be determined by the diff ratios and/or if you have a transfer case (low range). If you choose a diameter that is too large, the 4x4 capacity of the camper will be seriously affected.

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Hi cool truck/camper.
the model should be on the door sill.
With a 4d33 it could be going by the year FG337,437,537,637 ???
Does the cab tilt?
Tyres in Oz a lot of them ran 7.50r 16 from factory.

ajamesr

The model should be shown on the compliance plate; it is part of the VIN, which is also stamped into the chassis. The compliance plate is located in the cab, behind the seats and the VIN can be found by looking in the front wheel well. On a RHD it should be on the passenger's side.
Most Canters are 12v, but obviously not all. All you need is a DC-DC converter (24v to 12v) if you want to run any 12v devices. You can get these pretty much everywhere; eBay, Amazon etc.

There are numerous members here that have trucks with 5 stud wheels. One of them might chime in on where you might get some super singles, but...
The choice of wheel size will ultimately be determined by the diff ratios and/or if you have a transfer case (low range). If you choose a diameter that is too large, the 4x4 capacity of the camper will be seriously affected.

Thank you for the information, I will check for the vin plate when I get it back to my house this weekend. It is RHD so at least now I know where to check.

Is there a chart somewhere that could help my figure out what size tires work with what gear ratios? It does have a high/low range transfer case. Or is there a member who wouldn't mind a noob asking them a bunch of questions about all that? With most 4x4s I've just been able to google search and find more info than I could ever need, but this one is a lot harder to find anything about.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
The first thing you need to do is identify exactly which model you have. When you know that you can start figuring out the other stuff.

Locking Hubs

I have a friend I could put you in contact with that has the 2wd commercial crew cab version of these similar year JDM chassis as you said "GUTS".

For a POSSIBLE extremely durable and seriously aggressive tire that I repeat might just fit on this chassis. FG or full canter it would.
XZL MILITARY 8.25 TIRES

If you want super singles I also know a guy who orders ALIBABA sometimes and can get them cheap cheap. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kerry

Expedition Leader
Is the 4d33 turbocharged? From what I see on Wikipedia it wasn't. You may have breathing issues at high elevation.

ajamesr

Is the 4d33 turbocharged? From what I see on Wikipedia it wasn't. You may have breathing issues at high elevation.
It's not turbocharged, I wish it was and plan on looking into the feasibility of adding one. Yesterday I came home over the pass (11% grade) and couldn't go above 30mph most of the way up.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Australians are probably the best source for turbocharging it. Even my 4d34 turbocharged and intercooled is no speed demon on high altitude passes.

sixbennetts

Adventurer
I have a friend I could put you in contact with that has the 2wd commercial crew cab version of these similar year JDM chassis as you said "GUTS".

For a POSSIBLE extremely durable and seriously aggressive tire that I repeat might just fit on this chassis. FG or full canter it would.
XZL MILITARY 8.25 TIRES

If you want super singles I also know a guy who orders ALIBABA sometimes and can get them cheap cheap. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd be interested in the cheap cheap contact info!

westyss

Explorer
I think you might want to stay with the size tires you have unless you install a turbocharger, if you think you are going slow now having larger diameter tires will make it worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94