New here and New to Overlanding

Johstacy

I am new to this forum in fact just found this site a couple days ago and just go approved to post. Not sure how many here have EV's and do any type of Overlanding with them but I do and I intend to do just that. I own a Rivian R1T and one of the biggest challenges I am running into is finding gear to work with the Rivian. This is especially true with it's 12v system the Rivian's 12v system doesn't have the cranking amps that an ICE vehicle does so I can't just hook a wench to it that is powerful enough to do any good. My question is are there any good 12v solutions that could be added to a Rivian that could do things like power a wench or other 12v equipment. The truck does have built in inverters to output 120v AC as well as outlets that do hook into it's internal 12v system but trying to wire into the 12v system outside of the built in outlets is alot of work. So I was thinking that maybe I could add an external 12v solution just for powering things I don't want to wire into the Rivian's 12v system.. thoughts?

1000arms

:unsure: ... You will probably have better luck finding the vehicle recovery device you want if you try searching for "winch". ... :cool:

Welcome to the forum! :)

Johstacy

:unsure: ... You will probably have better luck finding what you want if you try searching for "winch". ... :cool:

LOL.... that's what happens when you rely on spell check to much!

1000arms

LOL.... that's what happens when you rely on spell check to much!
That happens with axle too.

Johstacy

That happens with axle too.

Well technically your not spelling it wrong just a wrong usage but most understand what your trying to say... but funny for one of my first posts!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I'd consider having a separate system to run tools, toys, camping stuff and not use the vehicle power sources unless I had to. I don't know but this might get you a few miles to a charging station.

1672852442917.png

NorthwestDriver

I am new to this forum in fact just found this site a couple days ago and just go approved to post. Not sure how many here have EV's and do any type of Overlanding with them but I do and I intend to do just that. I own a Rivian R1T and one of the biggest challenges I am running into is finding gear to work with the Rivian. This is especially true with it's 12v system the Rivian's 12v system doesn't have the cranking amps that an ICE vehicle does so I can't just hook a wench to it that is powerful enough to do any good. My question is are there any good 12v solutions that could be added to a Rivian that could do things like power a wench or other 12v equipment. The truck does have built in inverters to output 120v AC as well as outlets that do hook into it's internal 12v system but trying to wire into the 12v system outside of the built in outlets is alot of work. So I was thinking that maybe I could add an external 12v solution just for powering things I don't want to wire into the Rivian's 12v system.. thoughts?

Welcome to the forum, Johstacy. You I think are the first Rivian owner to join! I’ve had an R1 reservation since June 2021, and should be taking delivery in the next few months.

Rivian was supposed to be working on a factory winch option but they have not made any announcements since fall 2021 during their IPO. All the aftermarket accessories to date have been, in my opinion, low quality. I hope to fab my own accessories when mine comes.

Because the Rivian has so much on board power, I think you’ll find it practical to run most AC accessories off of the factory 110v and 12v plugs. The on board inverters will exceed the load allowed by the portable power banks from Bluetti/Yeti/etc and the 135 kWh battery is hundreds of times larger than anything those offer.

For a winch I think you will need to add a separate 12V battery and a DC-DC charger to charge it off the factory 12v system. You’ll have to fab your own winch tray and cut some of the body work to mount it, but I’m highly suspecting there is room behind the front bumper for a hidden winch. If you want to keep it VERY simple you could just tie down a 12V LiFePo4 battery in the frunk and wire the winch direct. Just charge the battery at home before an overlanding trip, and as long as you only have to winch a couple times you’ll probably be fine. You’ll probably need a 12,500lb winch for that truck and the power rating for the winch will dictate how large a battery you buy.

I see you are in Washington. I’m in Seattle. If you want some help and are close, let me know.

Johstacy

Welcome to the forum, Johstacy. You I think are the first Rivian owner to join! I’ve had an R1 reservation since June 2021, and should be taking delivery in the next few months.

Rivian was supposed to be working on a factory winch option but they have not made any announcements since fall 2021 during their IPO. All the aftermarket accessories to date have been, in my opinion, low quality. I hope to fab my own accessories when mine comes.

Because the Rivian has so much on board power, I think you’ll find it practical to run most AC accessories off of the factory 110v and 12v plugs. The on board inverters will exceed the load allowed by the portable power banks from Bluetti/Yeti/etc and the 135 kWh battery is hundreds of times larger than anything those offer.

For a winch I think you will need to add a separate 12V battery and a DC-DC charger to charge it off the factory 12v system. You’ll have to fab your own winch tray and cut some of the body work to mount it, but I’m highly suspecting there is room behind the front bumper for a hidden winch. If you want to keep it VERY simple you could just tie down a 12V LiFePo4 battery in the frunk and wire the winch direct. Just charge the battery at home before an overlanding trip, and as long as you only have to winch a couple times you’ll probably be fine. You’ll probably need a 12,500lb winch for that truck and the power rating for the winch will dictate how large a battery you buy.

I see you are in Washington. I’m in Seattle. If you want some help and are close, let me know.

thanks for the reply! Yes Rivian was working on a winch built into the bumper but it is my understanding that they have shelved that project. Not sure if they did so permanently or if it is like the camp kitchen which they still plan on delivering. And to your note on the aftermarket stuff that whole market is very young and I am hoping it matures though there are some things that are good. I purchased a set of magnetic pucks that are pretty good and Ruff Rax has a custom bed rack for the R1T that looks great but its not cheap. There are a couple companies that have come up with rock sliders those too are not cheap but I am hoping more competition will drive better solutions and better prices.

I am thinking about putting together some sort of 12v solution that will be able to run a winch as well as some power distribution switch that I could easly wire things into it like rack lights or any other random thing because it is my understanding that tapping into the Rivian's 12v system is a huge pain except for maybe the frunk. Even though they removed the 12v outlet in the frunk the wiring harness is still there so it shouldn't be hard to install an outlet or two in there. Not sure if you have seen but there is another aftermarket company (rivian-aftermarket) that is making a 12 gal frunk water tank with a sprayer (12v) and a 40 quart frunk cooler/freezer (12v) both of which can fit in the frunk at the same time.

I live in the Snoqualmie Pass area of Washington so only about an hour from Seattle. It would be cool to come up with some ideas for sure. Not sure if your aware but there is a group called Emerald City Rivian Club and we are doing an Snow off-roading trip on the 21st. You should look them up if your about to take delivery of your Rivian. Are you getting the R1T or the R1S?

GATORB8

Interesting, our 4xe has an onboard DC-DC charger for the battery (sla) but that may be the way to start your system,

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

:unsure: ... You will probably have better luck finding the vehicle recovery device you want if you try searching for "winch". ... :cool:

You're assuming he doesn't want to actually hook up a wench. Overlanders get thirsty too you know...

Moment Rider

I will be following along. I own a 1T. Most trail usage for me is in a 200 LC but the R1T needs recovery for the inevitable ice slide. The LC is superior in the ice (currently). Im curious on how much additional weight a winch would add and of course, range loss. My range floor is 240 or so. I currently get 270 with stock size(275/65r20) BFG KO2s.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
While a winch is very useful, it is only needed a few times in the life of the vehicle. An air compressor is useful every time you leave the pavement. I’m not familiar with the Rivian, but personally, I wheeled and camped for at least 20 years before buying my first winch. I would focus on tow points, recovery strap, air up/down, and find some friends to go off road with before I focused on a winch.

Johstacy

While a winch is very useful, it is only needed a few times in the life of the vehicle. An air compressor is useful every time you leave the pavement. I’m not familiar with the Rivian, but personally, I wheeled and camped for at least 20 years before buying my first winch. I would focus on tow points, recovery strap, air up/down, and find some friends to go off road with before I focused on a winch.

The Rivian has a built in air compressor however I do agree that the winch is nice to have and that a recovery kit is more important. The issue I am trying to solve is right now I do not have the option of a winch with the Rivian which I feel is somewhat short sighted on Rivian's part. So I am trying to come up with a sustainable way to have that option at the same time give me options to power other things without having to drill or cut into the truck itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles