New Ham/ Grand Canyon 4 Corners repeaters.

Anonymark

Observer
I got my Tech license in July and am studying for General. My wife and I will be traveling out to the Grand Canyon North Rim in September and I wondered if there were any good repeaters to rag chew on in the 4 corners/ I-70 route. I found the Grand Canyon repeater (147.300) and Navajo Mountain (146.9600) and the Sinbad Desert Club. I have been having a blast in the Philadelphia area on the 2m/70cm bands. Thank you for the heads up and a BIG thank you to this forum for giving me a new hobby to go with my hobby!

Mark

KC3BAE

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
http://k5ehx.net/repeaters/qrepeater.php

...is a great resource for finding repeaters along the way.

If you have a smartphone, the ARRL Repeater Directory is available for Android - it's beta release is free, the full app will be out in Sept.

You've already got the majority of the available repeaters that work up there with the exception of:

The Bill Williams Radio Club maintains a repeater that should be accessible from the north rim. K7NAZ 146.780, no PL, and it's also part of the IRLP system node #3178. IRLP opens up the opportunity for you to link back to your home turf while here. I have a post on IRLP in the stickies on top of comms section.

The big repeaters on Mt Elden that link to most of AZ are out of range on the south side of the San Fransisco Peaks. However, you may be able to get into the Greens Peak Repeater from the 4 corners area. It's part of the Arizona Repeater Assoc Rim Link (http://www.w7ara.org/Web/) system that covers a huge chunk of AZ. It's at 146.720 - PL 162.2, and sits at over 10,000' with great exposure to the north. I've used it from Flagstaff to Gallup, and it should reach almost to the UT border. The output has been reduced to 20W - I haven't used it since that happened so coverage may be reduced somewhat.

Enjoy the trip!

Mark - KE7IXX

Expedition Leader
I got my Tech license in July and am studying for General.

Congratulations! If you think UHF/VHF is fun, wait 'till you get hooked on HF!

My wife and I will be traveling out to the Grand Canyon North Rim in September and I wondered if there were any good repeaters to rag chew on in the 4 corners/ I-70 route. I found the Grand Canyon repeater (147.300) and Navajo Mountain (146.9600)

Those are the main two I use when I'm in the Four Corners. The Navajo Mountain repeater reaches well up into southern Utah. The Abajo Mountain repeater is also good if you get that far north.

If you want everything on the way along I-70, get "TravelPlus for Repeaters" or the Repeater Directory, both from ARRL.

Have fun and have a great trip.

N5MUD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior