New GX owner, replacement key suggestions?

Crenshaw

Adventurer
Just picked up an '03 GX to replace my wife's aging BMW X5 and would like to sort out a couple things before we pick it up this weekend. The owner only has a single master key, and I am hyper paranoid about having spares stashed all over. Have any of you guys had to deal with coming up with replacements? It sounds like the dealer is a painful ($$) option and there are a handful of eBay solutions involving buying pre-cut keys and having the dealer program them to the car. A lot of the info I'm finding on google is fairly old so I'm not sure if there's a better solution that's appeared more recently.

Thanks in advance for any advice, I'll throw some pictures up after we pick it up in a few days. This will mostly be DD duty but I could see it doing a lot of camping and boating and as such could use some basic mods.

SnoViking

Adventurer
I went through this with my Lexus IS last year. As long as you have an actual "master" key, It should be about $125 to get another key/fob made. I used an ebay seller named 1010keys. I sent him a picture and he cut the key for me and included a remote fob for about $40. I then took the key to a locksmith who had the special computer to program a new key. That cost me about $75 to get the made key programmed.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I'm going through the same thing with my 4runner right now, I have one master key and that is it, and no door fob although I suspect it's capable.

Apparently using the master you can get a transponder key blank, have it cut, then do a procedure in the vehicle and it will program the blanks. You can also program the wireless fob from the vehicle which seems to be attached on the Lexus key.

On a hunch I looked, seems it may be possible to do this on the Lexus according to the video I found. This looks very similar to the process I researched for the 4runner.

If you got a few days I'll be trying to program mine myself, probably this weekend. I can report back with how it turns out. If I fail, I'm only out $15 (2 blank keys then add cutting), worth a shot. I haven't ordered door fobs yet though, once I confirm it's equipped I'll try those next. (Probably about $40 for 2 fobs.)

I also found it in text form: http://freeremoteinstructions.com/lexus/lexus-gx470-2003-2009/

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Adventurer
Awesome, do let me know how that turns out! Seems sort of hit and miss for the GX people going through that programming procedure, but sure worth a try. Either way, if it doesn't work at least at that point I would have a new cut key with electronic hardware that the dealer can then (theoretically) program.

I sure do miss the tech on my old 80's vehicles where I just head to True Value and have them cut like 10 spares for a few bucks whenever I buy a new one...

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I leave the smart key in the vehicle (hidden of course) most of the time and carry just a basic metal key around. I also have a spare metal key zip tied under the bumper. I do have 2 good keys for the truck but I don't want to deal with replacing one. So you can get a bunch of metal spares, they just won't start the truck. They will get you in the door though...

Cheers,
George

SnoViking

Adventurer
When I bought my GX, one of the online pictures showed the center console with two key fobs sitting in the cup holder. When I finally bought it and picked it up the sales guy only handed me one key. When I asked him about the other key he said there was only one key. I said "no..... there's two keys." He looked blankly at me and repeated there was only one key. I took out my phone and showed him the picture and told him that if I don't get two keys the deal was off because of the BS I'd have to go through to get another key. Paniccing; the sales guy ran off and came back about 20 mins later with the other key. He said the "mechanic forgot about it" and had it in his tool box. It's such a PITA to get another key made and I wasn't about to play his games. :victory:

Wife has a 2007 RAV4 with a smart key. Bought a blank off of Amazon for $5, had it cut at the locksmith for $5 and swapped the rfid chip into the new key. Not saying it's the same for the gx or will work but worth exploring.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Success! This morning I had only one working master key, now I have 3. All and all, I spent $15 on this. Don't need no stinkin' dealer.

I went to the hardware store and had my 2 new blanks cut. He asked if it had a transponder, I said don't worry about that I got that part. (Actually he cut them for free, really nice local small town hardware store.)

I tried them out straight off the cutter, they would turn over the engine but it would not start, so far so good.

I got home, then followed the instructions that came with my keys, very easy, and had no trouble at all programming the 2 new keys.

Follow your own instructions, but for me it went something like, stick original key in, stomp the gas 5 times, stomp the brake 6 times, take the master key out, stick the new key in, stomp the gas once, and wait for the security light to stop blinking, stick the next new key in, stomp the gas once, wait for the security light to stop. Boom, I was done.

The original Toyota master will go in a safe place to use for making new spares if the need arises, and I'll keep one out for use, and the other will be in a drawer handy at home as a backup.

I do have a non transponder key that will unlock the door I tucked in my wallet in case I lock myself out with the keys inside. I'll probably hide that somewhere under the truck eventually. It won't start the engine though.

JLee

Adventurer
Success! This morning I had only one working master key, now I have 3. All and all, I spent $15 on this. Don't need no stinkin' dealer.

I went to the hardware store and had my 2 new blanks cut. He asked if it had a transponder, I said don't worry about that I got that part. (Actually he cut them for free, really nice local small town hardware store.)

I tried them out straight off the cutter, they would turn over the engine but it would not start, so far so good.

I got home, then followed the instructions that came with my keys, very easy, and had no trouble at all programming the 2 new keys.

Follow your own instructions, but for me it went something like, stick original key in, stomp the gas 5 times, stomp the brake 6 times, take the master key out, stick the new key in, stomp the gas once, and wait for the security light to stop blinking, stick the next new key in, stomp the gas once, wait for the security light to stop. Boom, I was done.

The original Toyota master will go in a safe place to use for making new spares if the need arises, and I'll keep one out for use, and the other will be in a drawer handy at home as a backup.

I do have a non transponder key that will unlock the door I tucked in my wallet in case I lock myself out with the keys inside. I'll probably hide that somewhere under the truck eventually. It won't start the engine though.

That's excellent news! My GX only has one key, so I will end up doing this at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles