New Guy Here; Looking to Get a ZR2

Mad German

Hi guys. New guy here. I'm in the market for a truck and have pretty much decided on the ZR2. I was a little hesitant to buy a domestic after owning Hondas and Toyotas for the last 23 years. My last domestic truck was a 1992 K1500. I loved that truck until it was stolen. I replaced it with a 1998 Tacoma and never looked back.

However, it's 2021 and I'm looking for a new truck and have pretty much decided on a ZR2. My use won't be hardcore overlanding like a lot of you guys, but rather some weekend camping, driving to some fishing holes, and grabbing some bags of deer corn from the feed store every month or so. I think the ZR2 will fit that bill just fine. Plus, it just looks so damn good.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and look forward to learning all I can from you fine folks.

Cheers,
MG

skrypj

Agree that the ZR2 is probably overkill for your needs. If you want it, then go for it, but I don't think you need dual lockers and a mid travel suspension to get to your favorite fishing hole.

ABBB

Another endorsement from a ZR2 Bison owner. Agree with others the Z71 could suit you fine…but the ZR2 is the sexier truck and more capable to boot. Minimax is worth considering as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mad German

Well, I got the ZR2. Yes, it's overkill. But I'm an Engineer, so we always have to overdo stuff, right? ;) I was able to find the exact truck I wanted in the color I wanted for a price that was several % below MSRP. All in all, I couldn't be happier with it. It's my first Chevy since my 1992 K1500. I loved that truck. Unfortunately it was stolen.

I'm looking forward to learning all I can from you folks about camping, overlanding, etc.

Attachments

• MicrosoftTeams-image (1).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 104
  • MicrosoftTeams-image.jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 100

ABBB

Nice truck. Enjoy it. Glad you got what you wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbaucom

Chevy undersized the tires on these unfortunately.
GM puts undersized tires on all of their trucks - pretty sure it's for the fuel economy. I can understand it on the base models, but once people start checking option boxes, the tire sizes need to increase, especially on the ZR2, Z71 and Trail Boss packages. At least you can get 33's that look proportional to the size of the trucks on the 2019+ 1500s if you get 20" wheels.

phsycle

Adventurer
@Mad German How’s it been this far? Happy with your purchase? I wheeled with a stock ZR2 a couple weeks ago in Moab. It was impressive what it could do 100% stock.
Im not looking to get one due to my family size but it’s a pretty nice truck.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
GM puts undersized tires on all of their trucks - pretty sure it's for the fuel economy. I can understand it on the base models, but once people start checking option boxes, the tire sizes need to increase, especially on the ZR2, Z71 and Trail Boss packages. At least you can get 33's that look proportional to the size of the trucks on the 2019+ 1500s if you get 20" wheels.

I'm not understanding this comment.

I did just put 265/70/17 tires on, which is just one inch larger than the OEM ZR2 tires, and in fact is the exact same as the OEM tires on the 1/2 ton pickups. Given these trucks are a little smaller than full size, a tire that is 1" smaller than full size doesn't seem too small?

As for 35's, I find they actually look a bit cartoonishly big. I'm getting a second set of M/T tires, but staying with 33". Just a little meatier, but not so big to require a bunch of major compromises elsewhere (lift, suspension work, regearing, speedo calibration, axle strength, etc.)

To the OP: Welcome. I really believe the Colorado is the best mid-size available on the market, ZR2 or not.

jbaucom

I'm not understanding this comment.

I did just put 265/70/17 tires on, which is just one inch larger than the OEM ZR2 tires, and in fact is the exact same as the OEM tires on the 1/2 ton pickups. Given these trucks are a little smaller than full size, a tire that is 1" smaller than full size doesn't seem too small?

As for 35's, I find they actually look a bit cartoonishly big. I'm getting a second set of M/T tires, but staying with 33". Just a little meatier, but not so big to require a bunch of major compromises elsewhere (lift, suspension work, regearing, speedo calibration, axle strength, etc.)

To the OP: Welcome. I really believe the Colorado is the best mid-size available on the market, ZR2 or not.

Of all the truck makers, GM has consistently, for at least the past 10-15 years, put smaller tires on their trucks than Ford, Ram, Toyota, and Nissan. It's by small margins, but the factory tires are smaller by ~.5"-1" than other brand truck offerings. With a Ranger Tremor or Frontier PRO-4X, you get 32's from the factory, with a Colorado ZR2, you get 31's. In fact, in spite of the small lift that a ZR2 has relative to a regular Colorado 4x4, the ZR2 tires are no larger than the 18" option on a regular 4WD Colorado. On a F150 Tremor, Ram Rebel, or any mid-level or higher Nissan Titan from the beginning of production, 33's come from the factory; on a Silverado Trail Boss, 32's (unless you want to opt for 20" wheels). GM has been putting the equivalent of a 265/75R16 (31.6", 265/70R17, 265/65R18) on their 4WD full-size trucks since the 90's. The late 90's S10 ZR2 had 31x10.5-15 tires. Look at how the trucks have grown in size through the years; body size and ride heights have increased, but GMs tire sizes have remained static. Current mid-size 4x4s look quite natural on 32's and full-size trucks on 33's (without a lift). Performance (effective overall gear ratio), fuel economy, and cost savings are the benefits of these smaller tires.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Ok, I'll grant you on the Pro-4X. But the tires on the ZR2 are the exact same size as a Tacoma TRDPro, and the exact same size as the biggest tire available on the Ranger until the 2021 Tremor package. The ZR2 was released in 2018.

hobbs4002

I’ve got an 18” with the duramax… been very happy with this truck. You made a good purchase! I wouldn’t rush out though to upgrade too quick, they are very capable as is!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior