New GM Medium Duty trucks. available with 4x4.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
If you don't need a crew cab with 4 large seats because you're only traveling as a couple.... And if you don't need to go 80mph.....

Then why fix up a road truck? Get an Acela instead.

images

Stroked 550

Adventurer
I'm sure that 900lb-ft feels better than 500lb-ft, but there is a price to pay for that performance, namely: degraded fuel economy and less reliability.

The medium duty chassis trucks tow far heavier loads all the time with derated engines; they're certainly not winning any drag races, but they expected to last longer under much more arduous working conditions. The OEM's should at least make those derated engines available to the individual consumers.

Im not talking about up'ing the horsepower in the 6.6 Duramax engine, Im talking about using a bigger motor all together like a 11L motor that has 400hp and 1450 lbs of torque those run all day for 1 million miles before needing a rebuild...

there's no comparison between a pickup truck diesel in a medium duty and an actual engine that belongs in the medium duty... the M11 for example in a medium duty would be a great fit that goods decent mpg and can pull a trailer up hill at the speed limit if need be paired with a 10 or 13 speed transmission

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Picked up a brochure today at my local International dealer when I stopped by to say hi. The transfercase is a Meritor 3203 gear driven electric shift. Doesn't say what the front axle is but I would expect it to be a Dana 70 like what the old C4500/5500s had. Interior is very GM. Sales didn't have any pricing yet but they expect it to be comparable to a Ford F550. They are getting a demo next week but I will be back at work so won't get to see it. Dual fuel tanks are an option, 25 gallon saddle and 40 gallon rear. Will keep this thread updated on when I find out more details. I would love a crewcab 4x4.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Would love to see the 8.8 gasser as an option, that's an evolved GM 8.1. Looks like the diesel is the only engine offered.
The 4x4 front axle is a Dana Spicer 7500 lb axle, no model number. Rear axle options are Dana 110s and 130s depending on GVW.
Transmissions are Allison 1000 or 2000 six speed transmissions.
Crewcab wheel base options are 175"(60CA), 199"(84CA), and 235"(120CA).

Mattersnots

Adventurer
Throwing out a picture of what I did. There are a few of us out there now with this platform and an ambulance box. Yep, the front still rides like it has square wheels. Trying to decide to fix that with air bags or deaver springs. I see it's an old thread but thought some of you might like to see the work in progress. I'm very happy with the medium duty so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles