New GM Medium Duty trucks. available with 4x4.

jkam

nomadic man
GM introduced a new medium duty series, long overdue after the Kodiak chassis went away.
4500, 5500 and 6500, with a Duramax 6.6, Allison transmission and 4x4 option.
Would make a nice platform for an all season RV.
2019-Silverado-md-design-01-a.jpg

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Nope:
2019-Silverado-6500HD-002.jpg

Still looks like the darn cab has to come off. Cyl #8 is likely where the the dash is.
Judging by where the alternator is and then assuming where the front of the engine must be, yeah it doesn’t look great. I guess there’s some improvement but they can only do so much.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
International and GM are in bed together on this truck. I believe GM will have the lighter GVW units while International will have heavier GVW units.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
Nope:
2019-Silverado-6500HD-002.jpg

Still looks like the darn cab has to come off. Cyl #8 is likely where the the dash is.

I've not seen one in person yet, but if they do what they did on the previous Kodiak you don't have to pull the cab to do major repairs. There's a doghouse cover on the Kodiaks that allow pretty good access to the rear of the engine. I've got two for tow trucks at work and we've had to replace the engine. Process is pretty simple, pull the front clip (just a couple of pins), pull inner fenders, disconnect coolant and a/c lines, pull core support as a unit. From there it's pretty clear access to the front. With the doghouse cover off access to the rear can happen for the turbo downpipe, bellhousing bolts, ect.

I'm pretty sure given the nature of the truck, they will have similar access for serviceability.

Been watching and waiting for the new trucks to hit the ground. It could be a great platform for an all terrain rv.

Explorerinil

Observer
Those last gen solid axle 4500-5500 chevys rode worse than a square wheeled wagon. A lot of guys went to airbags.
I’ve heard that, but those were built for heavy duty work, and that did that well. I’ve seen a few of them as plow trucks and construction trucks, they were a great platform. I’m excited to see this, I think gm will do well with it.

Zmann

I agree and while the IFS has the capability to ride better the tire and wheel package on the 4500-5500 probably was the real cause of the "square wheel" feel
IMO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne