New GenIII Montero Owner

icon13

I just bought a 2003 Montero Limited with 102k miles. I'm excited to join the community and learning about these vehicles and making it my own. I wanted to introduce myself, and while I've done some research on this forum and around the internet, are there any general issues I need to know about off the bat?

The previous owner recently had the timing belt replaced, and it drives strong with overall good condition. The one thing that I know needs fixing air conditioner appears to have a leak, so I'll want to get that fixed asap as we're experiencing a heat wave right now.

Attachments

• Montero.JPG
    Montero.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 29

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Valve cover leaks, coolant leaks, flashing 4WD lights, and some other normal things for an older vehicle. Most can be taken care of easily, and yours is pretty low miles for the year, so it may not have those problems.

Go to the link in my signature to grab an FSM. That should cover almost anything you need to diagnose.
RockAuto is a good source for most mechanical parts. They carry many of the original supplier parts like Denso or Aisin.
PartSouq carries OEM parts and ships worldwide from UAE. Most recommend OEM for sensors and other critical pieces.

Epyx1977

She’s a beaut, Clark!

Looks like you found a low mileage example.

Hope the previous owner took care of it despite not driving much.

Where are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icon13

She’s a beaut, Clark!

Looks like you found a low mileage example.

Hope the previous owner took care of it despite not driving much.

Where are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!
I’m in NY. Looking forward to taking her out through the Adirondacks soon.

icon13

Valve cover leaks, coolant leaks, flashing 4WD lights, and some other normal things for an older vehicle. Most can be taken care of easily, and yours is pretty low miles for the year, so it may not have those problems.

Go to the link in my signature to grab an FSM. That should cover almost anything you need to diagnose.
RockAuto is a good source for most mechanical parts. They carry many of the original supplier parts like Denso or Aisin.
PartSouq carries OEM parts and ships worldwide from UAE. Most recommend OEM for sensors and other critical pieces.
Great! Thank you for the advice.

Very nice, congrats.

I got one of the same year and mileage earlier this year. As the others mentioned, check for sweating/leaking valve covers & exhaust leaks. Chances are since you're up in the salty roads area, you may have seized camber bolts like I did - if so, drench those in PB Blaster before attempting anything more heavy duty. FWW, The Mitsubishi Gen3 Squad group on facebook is very helpful, and a bit more lively than here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles