New Gen3 Montero owner (Alberta)

Hello again, all.

After reading approximately a thousand posts and scouring the net for info for a few weeks, I pulled the plug and picked up a relatively clean 2003 Montero with +/- 103k miles. I am now the 3rd owner of the vehicle, and the PO used it for the same purposes I intend to: lots of long distance highway trips, with some roads less travelled in between to escape the city noise and bustle. Since a lot of you are using this vehicle for the same purpose, I went in quite sure in my choice. Previous few months were spent test driving many 3rd and 4th gen 4runners, which are great vehicles in their own right, but I couldn't stomach the premium those trucks command up here, especially with all having high miles, rusty frames and bodies. The Great White North is not easy on those trucks.

This was the first Montero I test drove, and bought it on the spot. PO had put in decent care over the years, with all new brakes all around, HBB assembly replaced 2 years ago, spark plugs, and all fluids done on time. Timing belt/pump were done at 60k. Very few paint chips on the hood, and only a couple of minor rust spots on the tailgate, which I intend to attend to during the summer, and it came with a cracked foglight and windshield. Will be replacing those after the winter (we've got a ton of rocks on the roads).
The frame was in decent shape as well, with some surface rust, but better than most 4r's I've seen. So far, so good, (so what?)

Came with a couple of extra goodies too, a Surco safari rack and a small 2-drawer system for the back. I'll probably take the system out, and build a proper sleeping platform, not unlike the folding one from RamboPenguin's build thread. Also rolls on 18" wheels, which are def less ideal for harder trails, but I'm not aiming for those at the moment.

Upon the mechanic inspection necessary to insure a vehicle older than 12 years old in Alberta, a few issues presented themselves. The truck needed alignment (NBD), however it turned out the camber bolts were seized (as many others have attested so, especially in northern climates), which required a new set of tires. The rears were cupped real bad and I missed it upon the first look (rose tinted glasses, maybe?). Picked up a cheap set off of kijiji for now to burn through the summer, until we tackle this issue properly. My mechanic is an experienced JDM guy, with a ton of RHD vehicles in his shop at all times, including Delicas, which inspires confidence in his knowledge and abilities. We also replaced an idler pulley and serpentine belt as needed.
Another issues is a recurring Small Evap Leak code, which popped up again yesterday, after replacing the gas cap with the new one. Crossing my fingers for an easy/cheap fix: will have to take it back in shortly. Valve covers show minor signs of sweat, but no leaks: it's non-issue for now, but always good to be aware. With the radio off I can hear a tiny bit of whine from the power steering pump when parking: is it on the way out?

First impressions: THIS THING IS A TANK (with gas consumption to match). Got around 125 miles out of half tank, on very short jaunts around town previous weekend, in cold snowy weather and 4wd, which is probably the worst conditions for mpg. A bit of shock coming from an econobox but expected. It will not be a city car anyway: I walk to work and will keep my little Mazda 3 for chores. Much different story on a highway however, where it amounted to about 140 miles in a quarter tank. How accurate is the guage, however? If so, that is very livable with. I love this thing on the highway. So sure footed and comfortable, and can't wait to take it out further. Planning a trip out to Vancouver Island in the late summer.

So what I'm really saying here is: thank you all that took the time to share your experiences and knowledge about the Montero. It is a rare beast, with all the inconveniences to match such status, but you've all inspired me to take a chance. Very excited about the experiences this vehicle will present, as hard as it is put my trust in an old truck at the moment, I want to love it very much. Including some non Instagram friendly photos for reference, more to come!

BONUS: A photo of our Gen 2 in the mid90s. My dad bought it and drove it from UAE, through Iran and all the ...stans to our old home in Siberia. That's a story for another thread however.

Thank you for reading!

Attachments

• IMG_6612.JPG
    IMG_6612.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6620.JPG
    IMG_6620.JPG
    587.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6629.JPG
    IMG_6629.JPG
    553.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6682.JPG
    IMG_6682.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6685.jpg
    IMG_6685.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6686.JPG
    IMG_6686.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6708.JPG
    IMG_6708.JPG
    912.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 0614e04f-8ee0-4a70-9348-e8de230227da.JPG
    0614e04f-8ee0-4a70-9348-e8de230227da.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Welcome to the Gen3 Squad!

Sounds like you found a keeper and just need to solve a few little things.

I think the first thing I’d do is smoke test the intake and exhaust system.

The intake side has a bunch of vacuum lines that can leak and the dreaded butterfly rod o-ring. On the exhaust side, you’re mostly looking for exhaust manifold cracks. All of these issues are super common and pretty much affect 100% of gen3s. Given the evap code (which code was it?), it could fit and would also result in worse mpgs.

What year is your rig btw?

Welcome to the Gen3 Squad!

Sounds like you found a keeper and just need to solve a few little things.

I think the first thing I’d do is smoke test the intake and exhaust system.

The intake side has a bunch of vacuum lines that can leak and the dreaded butterfly rod o-ring. On the exhaust side, you’re mostly looking for exhaust manifold cracks. All of these issues are super common and pretty much affect 100% of gen3s. Given the evap code (which code was it?), it could fit and would also result in worse mpgs.

What year is your rig btw?

Thank you! It is a 2003 indeed. Will be taking it for the test shortly: worst possible scenario is needing a new gas tank or exhaust manifolds? Always prepare for the worst. I was told which code it was but didn't write it down. Will report with findings.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Ya, gas tank would be the worst situation but it’s 99.9% not that. You might need a gas tank vent, there’s actually a recall for that and you get it fixed for free at any dealer.

2nd worst scenario - surge tank needs to be replaced ($800 part from Mitsu only).

3rd worst scenario- both exhaust manifolds are cracked - $350 each from mitsu, $120 for aftermarket (i sell them on ebay), or a good excuse to upgrade to Australian headers, especially if you can eliminate the precats to get more power.

Many thanks, gentlemen. Let's hope this evap leak doesn't become a major issue.

Grab the FSM from my signature if you don't have one already. Looks great, hope it brings you many years of travel.

Done and done, will be studied.

.... good excuse to upgrade to Australian headers, especially if you can eliminate the precats to get more power.

Cue Jeremy Clarkson: MORE POWER!!

Exactly how much gain are we talking about here? Haven't seen many do an intake mod on a Gen3 outside of a snorkel. Also, I really love how quiet this truck is. Given I will be doing tons of highway driving, any exhaust drone is not really welcome here.

Do we have any vendors/sponsors affiliated with this forum? Once the vehicle is baselined, I'd love to get on convenience upgrades, such as stereo and lighting. Has anyone replaced their fog lights with ebay ones from overseas? Please pm me, if posting links to products is in bad taste. Also haven't been able to find any proper headlight HID conversion assemblies, and am not going the LED plug'n'play route. Any options out there outside of a diy retrofit?

HMSEndeavour

Another issues is a recurring Small Evap Leak code, which popped up again yesterday, after replacing the gas cap with the new one. Crossing my fingers for an easy/cheap fix: will have to take it back in shortly. Valve covers show minor signs of sweat, but no leaks: it's non-issue for now, but always good to be aware. With the radio off I can hear a tiny bit of whine from the power steering pump when parking: is it on the way out?

Happy to see another Canadian Montero owner!

I have the same issue on my vehicle. Code P0442?

I replaced the fuel cap with another OEM one and it didn't help. I know its not the ideal thing to do, but I have been driving the vehicle for over a year with the code on without any problem. Assuming your leak is similar to mine, it may not be anything major. I plan on getting it fixed this summer as well.

Happy to see another Canadian Montero owner!

I have the same issue on my vehicle. Code P0442?

I replaced the fuel cap with another OEM one and it didn't help. I know its not the ideal thing to do, but I have been driving the vehicle for over a year with the code on without any problem. Assuming your leak is similar to mine, it may not be anything major. I plan on getting it fixed this summer as well.

Right on: where about are you from? Always on a lookout for travel tips.

I'm 95% certain that is the code I got as well. I've read up that the fuel filler neck has issues due to rust up here. Will have it smoke tested for sure soon. As far as minor CELs: I've had similar one in my Mazda for years now, with zero issues. Even the mechanics suggested to not sweat it (plus, I am not about to go on a goose hunt in a vehicle with + 300k kms at this point). Monty is a different story however.

Last edited:

HMSEndeavour

Right on: where about are you from? Always on a lookout for travel tips.

I'm 95% certain that is the code I got as well. I've read up that the fuel filler neck has issues due to rust up here. Will have it smoke tested for sure soon. As far as minor CELs: I've had similar one in my Mazda for years now, with zero issues. Even the mechanics suggested to not sweat it (plus, I am not on a goose hunt in a vehicle with + 300k kms at this point). Monty is a different story however.

Im in Québec!

Im probably not a great resources for travel tips, I tend to stick to very mild gravel/dirt roads. More car camping then overlanding. The BRMB maps are pretty decent for this kind of stuff. They might have some for Alberta.

Please let us know if you find a solution to your EVAP leak, id be very curious to see what the solution is and how much it costs!

Im in Québec!

Im probably not a great resources for travel tips, I tend to stick to very mild gravel/dirt roads. More car camping then overlanding. The BRMB maps are pretty decent for this kind of stuff. They might have some for Alberta.

Please let us know if you find a solution to your EVAP leak, id be very curious to see what the solution is and how much it costs!

Most definitely will keep you updated on how this turns out, most likely in a week or two.

I am also not planning to get crazy on my off-roading right off the bat. There are a ton of ghost towns along the rail in Alberta/BC that are on the list, with similar roadways I'll be starting with. That said, the Laurentians are on the list as well. One of my best friends lives in Mtl, so I visit quite out there quite often.

Update: got scanned today showing a PO456: evaporative emission system leak detected (very small leak). CEL went away on its own accord a half an hour later however, and all I did was wash the truck. Lesson learned: keep it clean and all will be dandy ;)

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
I'm a bit late but welcome to the club...

Once this whole pandemic is over you're welcome to come over to my garage and we can run it on Evoscan to see if it reveals anything more specific via the obd port. My suspicion is that the fuel filler assembly has some rust issues, just in reading you symptoms. But worth looking at by pulling down the plastic shield in the RR wheel well.

I've had quite a few gen3s over the years, along with others. They are great rigs when the right parts and maintenance are applied.

As an aside, we would get around 13.0L/100kms mixed driving overall on 265-75-16 Michelin LTX's.

Cheers
Phil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior