New Garmin Montana 700 Series GPS Units with 5" Touchscreen and InReach Capable

pluton

Adventurer
The only issue I have had so far is moving the street maps that came with the unit to my SD card. I use Garmin Express to do this and it takes about an hour, but when I disconnect the GPS and then re connect it, the maps are still located on the Internal memory. I am also trying to figure out how to delete or move the south american topo maps since I will never use them.
Removing maps from the 700 before I returned it was easy---Google how, it's pretty trouble free. I think I used Garmin's online instructions. In my research, I came across a few warnings that when a map is sold as pre-installed on a unit, the map cannot be 're-located' to another GPS unit or memory card. Delete, yes, they said...save and move somewhere else--- possibly not. Subject for further research.

pluton

Adventurer
If my 650t would ever die I would definitely buy this.
My 650t was a faithful companion for about 9 years, then the touchscreen started to fart out... in the lower left corner. I seriously considered buying a 610t from GPS City ($350...Wow! Cheap!) to replace it. But then I remembered that it was also a sad companion next to the smartphone running Gaia. Entering waypoint names became pure slow-moving torture-of-the-mind on the 650t compared to the smartphone speed of doing the same thing on Gaia. The new 700 series fixes that, mostly.

pluton

Adventurer
Turns out the old 24K Topo maps are more accurate than the Topo Active as they are missing a ton of trails in CA. I sent some comparison pics to Garmin but I doubt anything will come of it. I have not had any issues with bright light on my unit. I took it one one hike so far and could read the maps just fine.

i’ve been puttering through the Mojave National Preserve this weekend, bringing along an iPhone with GaiaGPS, and the Garmin700i with Garmin’s TopoActive maps, plus some topo maps previously downloaded from GPS file depot.
Results so far:
TopoActive is not very complete; I was driving on known, frequently travelled dirt roads that were completely missing from TopoActive—-and, interestingly—-also missing from Gaia’s ‘Gaia Topo’. Detail was flat out inferior to the old Garmin US 100K.
I just ordered a DVD copy of the Garmin US 100K, since the built in 100K in my old Montana 650t is supposedly locked to that device.
The Garmin 100K on DVD (and SD card?)may be a discontinued item

Update: Garmin DVDs of locked maps are worthless now, because Garmin has removed the unlocking key from their website. Do not buy a Garmin DVD map unless it is unlocked. The one I got didn't say 'locked' or 'unlocked' on the package or DVD.

Last edited:

Cabrito

I come in Peace
i’ve been puttering through the Mojave National Preserve this weekend, bringing along an iPhone with GaiaGPS, and the Garmin700i with Garmin’s TopoActive maps, plus some topo maps previously downloaded from GPS file depot.
Results so far:
TopoActive is not very complete; I was driving on known, frequently travelled dirt roads that were completely missing from TopoActive—-and, interestingly—-also missing from Gaia’s ‘Gaia Topo’. Detail was flat out inferior to the old Garmin US 100K. I just ordered a DVD copy of the Garmin US 100K, since the built in 100K in my old Montana 650t is supposedly locked to that device.
The Garmin 100K on DVD (and SD card?)may be a discontinued item.

Did you turn off the City Navigator maps? I was running my new 700i this weekend in Mendocino Forest at Penny Pines and was pretty impressed with how many of the Forest Roads, and OHV trails were showing up. Only one Black Diamond trail didn't show on the 700.

pluton

Adventurer
Did you turn off the City Navigator maps? I was running my new 700i this weekend in Mendocino Forest at Penny Pines and was pretty impressed with how many of the Forest Roads, and OHV trails were showing up. Only one Black Diamond trail didn't show on the 700.
Yeah, I [am pretty sure I] turned CN off. I tried different settings as I went. At my present level of knowledge, the 700i does many things that I didn't think I told it to do, one of which was go into some kind of 'street nav' mode. I'll load the US 100K map into it when it comes ($49 at Sportsman's Warehouse) and see how that works.
NOTE: The Garmin US 100K maps sold by Sportsman's Warehouse were locked and therefore not useable---Garmin no longer supports unlocking DVD maps. I'll give it at least one more remote area trip before I decide whether or not to sell it on Craigslist or here. I'm pretty sure that Garmin wants me to buy an Overlander for the car, and keep the 700i for hiking.
Update: I'll not sell it...there's nothing else that's equivalent on the market, and iPhone + Gaia is not 100% reliable IMO.

Last edited:

Alloy

Turns out the old 24K Topo maps are more accurate than the Topo Active as they are missing a ton of trails in CA. I sent some comparison pics to Garmin but I doubt anything will come of it. I have not had any issues with bright light on my unit. I took it one one hike so far and could read the maps just fine.

Data will be removed to maintain/reduce file size and trails, roads and sites are removed so they don't need to be maintained.

The 680 I have uses GPS & GLONASS. On an up and back hike along the same path there is 15-40' difference (setting are high) between the 2 tracks. When stationary for a couple of hours the 680 position will bounce around a 100-200' area

The 700 uses GPS & Galileo(European GPS) which is suppose to be more accurate. How is accuracy on the 700?

pluton

Adventurer
The 700 uses GPS & Galileo(European GPS) which is suppose to be more accurate. How is accuracy on the 700?
I have no opinion yet; I haven't used mine enough. On my recent trip, the 700i always showed where I was accurately, unlike GaiaGPS on my iPhone Xr, which kept trying to place me 35 miles away from my actual location for about 24 hours.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I'm pretty happy with mine thus far, but still learning all the different setup bits.

Anyone have issues with it crashing / turning off without warning? It's happened to mine several times in different situations. The ADV Rider Forum thread has several people reporting it too.

I used it extensively this past weekend in the FJ, on the bars of my XR400, and in my number plate bag on my CRF250. It never crashed or turned off so that was nice.

100 miles of dirt rocks, silt, ect mounted in the AMPS cradle on the XR400 in Mendocino Forest. Yeah, in some shade sections it's hard to read sometimes. I ran the topo maps, and they had all our roads listed. I also fired off a few inReach messages to another rider in our group and Mrs Cabrito back home. The messaging worked well for me, but my friend sent me some messages the day before that I never received so I"m not sure what's up with that. I powered it off the USB port on my XR, and even had a water crossing that I hit too fast and the water went over my head and drenched me.

30 miles of rough single track on the CRF250 with it in my number plate bag just for tracking, and it worked great.

I need to put a screen protector on it ASAP though. I already scratched the screen.

My plan for this device was to have one GPS for my FJ, and my bikes plus hiking, and so far it's working out ok.

SBSYNCRO

Reviving this thread to see if there are any more comments on longer term use. I'm trying to decide between the 66i and the 700i. My 10+ year old Delorme InReach SE finally died on my last trip (rattled to death on washboard roads around Death Valley, I suspect). The handlebar (or in may case Vector e-dock) mount seems very robust for the 700i (but $150 and requires wiring and stashing a voltage converter somewhere in the dash or under the carpet). My usage is around 50% off-road vehicle/overlanding, 35% hiking/hunting, and 15% offshore boating

Alloy

Reviving this thread to see if there are any more comments on longer term use. I'm trying to decide between the 66i and the 700i. My 10+ year old Delorme InReach SE finally died on my last trip (rattled to death on washboard roads around Death Valley, I suspect). The handlebar (or in may case Vector e-dock) mount seems very robust for the 700i (but $150 and requires wiring and stashing a voltage converter somewhere in the dash or under the carpet). My usage is around 50% off-road vehicle/overlanding, 35% hiking/hunting, and 15% offshore boating

If you get the 700 without Inreach the 2nd GPS receiver is then used for navigation. This makes it more accurate.

SBSYNCRO

If you get the 700 without Inreach the 2nd GPS receiver is then used for navigation. This makes it more accurate.
Thanks for the tip. My main purpose is to have the InReach capability for off-grid communications. The backup navigation is a bonus in my mind. I've had very few scenarios where my iPhone + Gaia or Onx has let me down, but I do like the idea of an all-in-one unit that does everything so that I don't have to carry multiple devices and rely on bluetooth between them.

WanderingBison

I have had a 66i for a couple of years now and overall it’s a good unit. Sadly, like all Garmin products I ever owned or heard from others, there are some frustrating software/firmware glitches.

I really like the screen and mapping (quite a step up from the Explorers) and it’s a great size for hiking/biking/paddling.

I also use the Garmin charging mount since it spends most of its time mounted on the dash of my rig (I live full time on the road).

Not unlike you, I really use mapping (Gaia, AllTrails, etc.) on my phone or iPad primarily but I like the redundancy of the 66i with too much weight and bulk.

That said, I might consider the Montana 700 if I needed to replace the 66i for a couple of reasons:

I like the larger screen which is also a touch screen, unlike the 66i which still uses the buttons approach - that would be fantastic as a dash mounted unit but also be cool on a kayak or maybe even a bike.

I also like the external antenna connection which would allow the unit to receive InReach messages even if it’s inside the rig without a clear view of the sky. The 66i mounted on the dash sometimes has a good connection but not other time. If I put up window covers I mostly lose connectivity. An external antenna would solve that issue.

IF I replaced my 66i with the Montana 700 I would have to get a second device (a Mini maybe) for my extended hiking/backpacking/paddling trips). Unfortunately, Garmin doesn’t making two devices on one account practical or affordable which makes get be a killer.

At that point, it might be better to pair a Mini with another Garmin device like an Overlander.

Which probably explains why I’m still using my 66i <grin>

So, that might inform your decision depending on your use case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Alloy

Tanks for the tip. My main purpose is to have the InReach capability for off-grid communications. The backup navigation is a bonus in my mind. I've had very few scenarios where my iPhone + Gaia or Onx has let me down, but I do like the idea of an all-in-one unit that does everything so that I don't have to carry multiple devices and rely on bluetooth between them.

That said, I might consider the Montana 700 if I needed to replace the 66i for a couple of reasons:

I like the larger screen which is also a touch screen, unlike the 66i which still uses the buttons approach - that would be fantastic as a dash mounted unit but also be cool on a kayak or maybe even a bike.

I also like the external antenna connection which would allow the unit to receive InReach messages even if it’s inside the rig without a clear view of the sky. The 66i mounted on the dash sometimes has a good connection but not other time. If I put up window covers I mostly lose connectivity. An external antenna would solve that issue.

IF I replaced my 66i with the Montana 700 I would have to get a second device (a Mini maybe) for my extended hiking/backpacking/paddling trips). Unfortunately, Garmin doesn’t making two devices on one account practical or affordable which makes get be a killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wish I could upgrade the accuracy of my Montana 680. It worked for hiking, driving and biking. The pressures screen was 110% in the rain/snow /ice. The 700 and my S20 phone go crazy when water/snow gets on the screen.

I've dropped/bounced/dragged/kicked the 680 and it keeps going. One drop and that will be the end of the 700 screen.

Other than the accuracy I don't think the 700 is an improvement over the 680.

Battery for the 680 lasted for 36hours. Battery for the 700 was 50% after (checking the screeen 10-15min) a 4 hour hike.

I've a 20 days return window so may trade or add the 66i to the collection.

I've had my phone battery drain to 0 while hiking because it couldn't be charge it due water in the charging port

I have an InReach mini. I carry the mini (clipped to a belt loop) more than I carry a navigation device....an issue with the mini is the battery can't be replaced.

SBSYNCRO

If I had an unlimited budget, I think the Mini + Overlander would probably be a great combo. Throw in a Fenix watch and I'd be all set. I guess I need to get a hot girlfriend that runs around in a bikini, some skinny jeans, and a YouTube overlanding channel so I can get that stuff for free maybe.... As long as I stayed BEHIND the camera I might have a shot at it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles