New Garmin inReach “Mini 2” Satellite Communicator

According to HikingGuy.com on YouTube, Garmin has developed the Mini 2. In the video it is stated that this model, while identical in physical size to the original Mini will have:
-“Enhanced Navigation”
-Greatly Extended Battery Life (how do they do that?)
-USB-C Cable Connector
-Use of the Garmin Explore (vs. Earthmate) App

pluton

Adventurer
Nice to see that they're improving a product. Now, Garmin, please do the Montana 700 series!

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
The smaller something becomes the less effective it becomes. Less battery life, less power .

outback97

Adventurer
@Bill Ruttan thanks for posting. You might consider adding the full product name (Garmin Inreach Mini 2) to the thread title.

Here's the video that Bill is referring to:

Physically, apart from the USB-C power port vs micro USB, it looks pretty much identical to the Inreach Mini.

The increased battery time would be a great improvement, although on the shorter trips I've used mine on, the battery life has been sufficient.

The smaller something becomes the less effective it becomes. Less battery life, less power .

Huh?

So this:

130603-F-IN001-012.JPG

Is more effective than this:

11-16335h.jpg

And a physically smaller battery can't possibly have as much or even more power than an older technology larger battery?

The size of this new version of the Inreach Mini is identical to the existing one. The claimed battery life is substantially better. Seems like it'll be more effective and better to me.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
@Bill Ruttan thanks for posting. You might consider adding the full product name (Garmin Inreach Mini 2) to the thread title.

Physically, apart from the USB-C power port vs micro USB, it looks pretty much identical to the Inreach Mini.

The increased battery time would be a great improvement, although on the shorter trips I've used mine on, the battery life has been sufficient.

Huh?

So this:

130603-F-IN001-012.JPG

11-16335h.jpg

And a physically smaller battery can't possibly have as much or even more power than an older technology larger battery?

The size of this new version of the Inreach Mini is identical to the existing one. The claimed battery life is substantially better. Seems like it'll be more effective and better to me.
What a ridiculous comparison.

outback97

Adventurer
Looks like Garmin posted a video going over the new features and changes to the Mini 2, and they now have it listed on their site.

Not compelling enough for me to upgrade, but the longer battery life would be nice.

I need to look into the differences between the Earthmate and Garmin Explore apps.

WanderingBison

I don’t think it’s intended to encourage current Mini owners to upgrade but bring the Mini in line with current InReach device - like using Explore, upgrading the radios and batteries, etc.

The move to Explore is an improvement, but still a long ways from the app I’d like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Huh?

So this:

130603-F-IN001-012.JPG

11-16335h.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion “outback97”, I have added “inReach” to the thread title.

outback97

Adventurer
I don’t think it’s intended to encourage current Mini owners to upgrade but bring the Mini in line with current InReach device - like using Explore, upgrading the radios and batteries, etc.

The move to Explore is an improvement, but still a long ways from the app I’d like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That makes sense. This is the only inReach device we own and for how I have used it, it has worked well in most terrain. For me it's more of a CYA when solo hiking / backpacking and a means to check in with my wife to let her know all is well. We also use it in the vehicle and will send a link to a friend and/or family member so they can see where we are.

I don't really use Earthmate other than to make it easier to type out messages to be sent with the Mini. I use Gaia for navigation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94