New Garmin GPS/Radio combo, pretty cool

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
While at the Smoky Mountain Overland Rally this past weekend, I was poking around the other vendors and came across this new Garmin Tread gps/radio combo ($799)

In a nut shell, it seems to be a combo of a newer version of an Overlander and a MURS radio (more on that in a minute).

The vendor and I talked for while about the set up and it seemed very impressive.

The radio actually is a black box design that has no real controls and must be used with the GPS screen. It mounts to the back of the GPS like a larger version of a Ram Mount.

The GPS is slightly smaller than the Overlander and is called the Tread. The screen is super clear and seems to have very good response to touching and zero lag time.

Cool, so you can use it with ham radio or GMRS! No, not at all. And this is where they will have some issues.

MURS is Multi Use Radio Service and resides in the 152 MHz area of the radio spectrum. This puts it just above the amateur radio / ham radio 2 meter vhf band. It is defined by the FCC as license by use, which basically means that when you use it, you agree to the rules, just like CB radio. However, the FCC does not allow cross service use. So yes, while your 'race radio' baofeng can talk on it, you should not. Also, GRMS legal radios are in the 460 MHz area, so if you are using a GMRS/FRS legal radio, you cannot talk to a MURS radio, because, well, that's impossible.

The other big issue with MURS is that it is actually kind of difficult to find them. Looking around on the webs, your choices are limited and those that are around are kind of expensive. Why? Well, even though anyone can use MURS, it's mostly used for business and so the makers of radios charge a bit extra for that business. I guess you can say they are made better than the cheap radios you find in big box store.

So why did Garmin decide that they would use the 5 MURS channels for this setup? I don't really know and I really think this is going to be a hard sell because of that. The Garmin Rhinos have been around for a while and they run GMRS/FRS freqs, this means that they are totally incompatible with the new Tread. At first, I thought it had to do with the data transmissions that the Tread is doing thought the channels, but like I said, the Rhinos on GMRS have been doing this for years. Size? Does not make sense either as modern radio are tiny, and since this a black box radio, you don't even have controls to worry about.

The only thing I can think of is that Garmin wanted this to be a fixed mobile radio as opposed to a handheld. Keeping that in mind, small handheld radios that fall under the auspice of GMRS/FRS are limited to two watts of output AND are prohibited from having the ability to accept an external antenna. Since the line between GMRS and FRS can get kind of blurry when operating from a strictly hand held device, I think this may have been a factor for going to MURS as a radio.

MURS only allows 2 watts, same as FRS, but, and it's a big but, does allow for the use of external antennas. And Garmin has produced an external antenna for the unit. I was looking at the vendor set up at SMOR and I gotta say that the antenna looks really good. It's ready to go right out of the box and has a neat mount to it. Having a VHF antenna on the outside of a vehicle really helps you reach out and touch someone. It's also mounted on a few inch tall spring and seemed very bullet proof. I cannot find specs to it, but it appears to be something other than a standard 1/4 wave. The antenna is $120

Garmin does sell a MURS radio called the Group Ride Radio (really?) and it appears to be the same exact radio that will come with the tread. So, no buttons. As the instructions are a bit thin on use and reference an app, I assume that you make these changes using a smart phone app. But it's $350, so, yikes...

So here is where I am on this. For newer vehicles that are super hard to do radio installs, as I do as part of my business, I think this is great! Small foot print, external antenna, GPS/smart tablet control, and Garmin makes great stuff. Plus, VHF tends to get you slightly better performance in wooded areas, at least from my experience. It seems better at penetration of leaves and trees as opposed to UHF which seems a bit more likely to reflect and refract.

HOWEVER!!!! The cost is high. For the full blown unit plus the antenna, you are looking at more than a grand after taxes and nearly $500 for just the radio and antenna. That's a lot of coin for 5 channels that more than likely no one else has unless they are running pirate radios that come in blue....* For years, I have been beating the drum of abandoning CB and either getting on vhf/ufh ham radio freqs or GMRS/FRS. We all have. Even Garmin has been making their GMRS/FRS radios for years. So now they have a super cool product that I can almost guarantee you will be a hard sell to most. What I think they need to do is come up with a few hand held unit, like the rhinos, that are 1/4 of the price of the tread, can share data, and have the same 5 freqs. Oh, and put a mount for an external antenna. If they do that, and they probably have them in the works, I think they will have a winner. But it's going to be an uphill battle, at least from my perspective.

*Look, I'm not the radio police or the FCC but I understand why we need to stay in our own lanes when it comes to radios. Just next to our play zones in ham radio, frs, gmrs, etc, we normally find public safety services. I don't think many people operate there with intentional malice, but lots of people have found themselves on public safety freqs causing problems for fire departments, emts, ets. We have lots of free space to do our thing. Lets stay there. The vendor said that he was told from a rep that the Tread was compatible with ham radio. I mean, dude....come on. That's how bad information is spread and people get into trouble.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I assume Garmin's decision to use MURS was due to a couple of things.

First, there's the restrictive GMRS data rule. Normally GMRS isn't prohibited from using detachable antennas on handhelds except if it transmits data. Plus the duration and duty cycle are very limited.

§95.1787 GMRS additional requirements.
Each hand-held portable unit transmitter type submitted for certification under this subpart is subject to the rules in this section.

(a) Digital data transmissions. GMRS hand-held portable units that have the capability to transmit digital data must be designed to meet the following requirements.

(1) Digital data transmissions must only be initiated by a manual action by the operator, except that GMRS units may automatically respond with location data upon receiving an interrogation request from another GMRS or FRS unit.

(2) Digital data transmissions must not exceed one second in duration.

(3) Digital data transmissions must not be sent more frequently than one digital data transmission within a thirty-second period, except that a GMRS unit may automatically respond to more than one interrogation request received within a thirty-second period.

(4) The antenna must be a non-removable integral part of the GMRS unit.

(5) GMRS units must not be capable of transmitting digital data on the 467 MHz main channels.

(b) [Reserved]

More fundamentally though I think is that using GMRS forces the user to obtain a FCC license. MURS requires nothing more of the buyer to remain legal. They could have done that with FRS but at reduced power (0.5W or 2W depending on channel) and of course no detachable antenna.

And FWIW here's the FCC filing information about it.

Couldn't find info about the antenna but the radio is 1.5W.

I wonder if the choice to use VHF is to not compete with the Rhino? Or if memory serves they sell VHF (MURS too, I think) dog trackers, perhaps compatibility is intended with those or other marine products of some sort?

Given the confusing FCC rules I think MURS makes the most sense here. FRS and GMRS are not intended to support digital as a primary mode. They wouldn't consider allowing digital voice emissions (e.g. DMR or C4FM encoding) during the 2017 rule update. So they clearly intend FRS and GMRS to be analog FM services and any digital to be limited in support of that. The issue they mentioned was that users wouldn't understand hearing digital emissions, I guess they'd confuse it with interference or probably more that they'd complain to the FCC about it. Prepending or appending a data burst of GPS location to a voice transmission wouldn't be mistaken, though.

Last edited:

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
I assume Garmin's decision to use MURS was due to a couple of things.

Excellent and thoughtful points.

I really did a good job of glossing over one of the main selling points of this Tread unit, and that is for a user to keep track of his other buddies using the same type of unit. And thus, the data requirement.

I did not know that the FCC restricted data as per basically using the unit as a beacon. I had also incorrectly assumed that their dog tracking collars were something other than MURS. Upon reviewing their manuals, it states VHF, so I'm guessing MURS. Makes total sense now after reading the FCC rules on GMRS and data in regards to transmit. The rest of the GMRS rules you posted clearly show 1) Why Garmin went with MURS 2) That I am not a lawyer.

The licensing is something I generally don't think about. I guess I'm a goody two shoes when it comes to rules. Need a license? Sure, sign me up. But I suppose a lot of folks don't like that. So MURS makes it easy.

What I am hoping for is that Garmin makes a handheld version of this, much like the dog units or the Rhinos. But as it stand, that price and the fact that Garmin is asking potential owners to use yet another radio band is going to be difficult. I personally would be all over this unit if MURS were more wide spread! But as it stands, not so much.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The licensing is something I generally don't think about. I guess I'm a goody two shoes when it comes to rules. Need a license? Sure, sign me up.
It's probably too that Garmin's lawyers know there's no way to shoehorn the application into GMRS/FRS (I believe it was Garmin who actually got the original exception written to allow GPS data on FRS, so they have some history) and they can't play dumb with the FCC like has become the norm in the proliferation of GMRS radios from manufacturers and distributors who know full well are being sold to a market where probably at best 25% actually get licenses.

Even that aside, the argument can be made for VHF as it will propagate better in vegetation and will have better range per watt overall, there's actual advantages over UHF.

Last edited:

ThePartyWagon

We're a Garmin dealer and IIRC, the Tread is the powersports focused version of the Overlander product.

We didn't look too deeply into it because the powersports space really isn't our realm but that was my understanding of their marketing pitch.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Good writeup and info from you guys. It's not something I'm going to invest in, but I can see it being good for groups in certain situations. is this geared towards the SXS crowd?

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Way too much money for limited channels and a device that no one else in the average group can talk to....yeah that tells me all I need to know.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
We're a Garmin dealer and IIRC, the Tread is the powersports focused version of the Overlander product.

We didn't look too deeply into it because the powersports space really isn't our realm but that was my understanding of their marketing pitch.
Correct and on the product page they do emphasize that as well. But since I'm a Garmin loyalist, radio nerd, and camper, this device really caught my interest.

steelponycowboy

I like the concept. I got a Garmin Tread XL Overland model about 3 months ago and absolutely love it. The Group Radio option is interesting but MURs just isn't that well used by the off road community. My club of 150 or so members switched to 15 watt or better Midland Micromobile radios in 2018 after a 3 week, 2700 mile overland trip thru 6 states. Our experience with the Midland 15+ watt radios with their 6db gain antenna was so much better than CB with consistent crystal clear reception.

They Garmin system looks to be like APRS on the Ham frequencies. We tried to move our club to Ham but just could not get more than 50 people to get licensed. APRS radios are expensive but we did get all members to buy the Midlands and we never looked back.

If only Garmin could put a 15 watt radio in this package rather than the MURs radio and give us locations on the GPS screen, it would be a winner for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior