New gaiagps map feature?

Laps

The main home page for Expedition Portal has a small feature about a 'new' overlanding map from GaiaGps.com but there isn't anything on that website as of yet. Does anybody know anything about it or is this something that expedition portal did a preemptive press release about?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Just checked my Gaia and there is a new-map tab called Overlanding.

If you already gave Gaia, make sure your app is up to date, as the Overlanding layers are already accessible.

I found it Looks pretty cool but even better was when I discovered in the legend part of the help section was they have a geologic map that you add which for me being a geologist and having already transferred fault traces as routes on to my map was about as epically nerd cool as it gets

Josh41

Adventurer
The article said that you would not have to layer maps, sounds like they are putting a bundle together with all the info on one layer, however, when I hit the Overland tab, I still have to load each layer separately. I like that it has Alltrails for mountain biking.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Updating/downloading mine now. For those that added it; can you download larger areas? I would love it if these apps would just allow you to download an entire state at a time. I really hate trying to get “blocks” downloaded only to find out when I’m out of cell coverage that I missed some areas. Garmin Topo 2008 had the entire country on an SD card and it didn’t matter where I was; I had the maps.

Jack

Roam.Wild

Just applied it, looks pretty good for here in Colorado! Finally an all-in-one map, and it looks way better than having multiple layers, will be smaller files when downloading map portions as well.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Answered my own questions. Got some time this evening to play with it and I’ve been able to download entire states in the overland layer. Just have to go “offline”to see if my downloads/the layer works.

Jack

Last edited:
Let us knowhow it goes. Which states. I think I am going to start with Ca and az maybe Nevada then Oregon. Lots of area. On a slightly unrelated issue I saw that ram mounts has a dedicated we boost mounting. Bracket. Assuming you did this. And got a better signal I would think you could then have cell access to the maps further out. Am I mistaken ?

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Let us knowhow it goes. Which states. I think I am going to start with Ca and az maybe Nevada then Oregon. Lots of area. On a slightly unrelated issue I saw that ram mounts has a dedicated we boost mounting. Bracket. Assuming you did this. And got a better signal I would think you could then have cell access to the maps further out. Am I mistaken ?

Will do. I have a trip through Nevada’s backcountry coming up in a few weeks. I’ve got NV, CA, AZ, NM, UT, OR, CO, WA, ID, and Baja downloaded right now. I played around with it a little bit and I like the look so far.

I'm sure a we-boost would work to help with offline/limited cell coverage improvements.

I‘m cautiously optimistic as this is something I’ve been wanting for years (the ability to download entire states) and I’ve tried all of the map apps.

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I have yet to play around with this new feature. How would you describe the detail level?
I’m still messing with it, but so far, I like the look. I’ve found mine names, springs (names), mountain peaks, plus the roads are more clear (to me) regarding which is a bigger road versus say a two track. Thats just looking around my area for places I’m familiar with. HTH.

Jack

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Been poking around southern Utah on Gaia, some of the more legendary overland routes like the Maze, LOTSR, Hite, the Henry's etc. I can't find one discernable difference between regular Gaia and Overland Gaia. Still digging in but can somebody tell me what it's supposed to do?

Best feature of Gaia IMHO is it's low data packages for the Gaia base maps. Downloads are small and you can download huge areas vs USGS Topo or aerial images. Also like the auto sync with you online Gaia when in range. I'll keep digging in and report back.

Last edited:

Superduty

Adventurer
@DirtWhiskey

I just downloaded a good portion of the Western US in the Gaia Overland layer. I already had Gaia Topo (feet) downloaded for this area as well as a few other layers. Anyhow, Gaia shows that the area I selected was 48905 tiles. Gaia downloaded 406 tiles and said it was complete. Soooooo, either I added a little geographic area outside of what I already had downloaded in Gaia Topo (feet) or the 406 tiles is the "extra" data that was added to Gaia Topo (feet) as the overland layer...or it is a marketing angle.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles