New FWC Hawk

scduboy

Observer
Pretty pumped.. My wife and I have been working with Denny in JHFWC and purchase a new 15 Hawk to be picked up in sept. :wings: Just in time for elk season.. We are beyond excited and fired up to have a nice place to crash while on the hunt..

Big question.... What will we need for the camper? We are new to this..

The camper will be going in a new F250 short bed... Went ahead and linex the bed and installed a titian fuel tank. I loaded the bed down yesterday with 1500lb of feed to get an idea of the squat the hawk may cause.. I am pretty sure i am going to add airbags.

Obviously, a hose and inline filter to fill the water tank.. leveling boards for level sleeping.. random tools...

Any advise is much appreciated.. Thank you

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
A rubber mat under the camper is nice.

Welcome to the slide-in, popup camper world, there's a nice view from up here ;)

Seabass

Idiot
All I can say is " Your gonna freakin Love it!" Well, I've yet to own a FWC- but I got a pop up and it a game changer for truck camping. I'll second the mat. There's a thread somewhere talking about mats. I use a stall mat from tractor supply. Otherwise, if you can think of a use for something you need it- until weight becomes an issue. And space. Then you realize maybe you don't need it. I guess what I'm saying is that you'll figure out what you need as you use it. What makes your rig work for you may not be what works for someone else. But the people that post on the portal are some of the nicest and most helpful people I've ever dealt with. I'm mighty proud to be associated with this group. You'll surely get a lot of great feedback for your thread.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
All I can say is " Your gonna freakin Love it!" Well, I've yet to own a FWC- but I got a pop up and it a game changer for truck camping. I'll second the mat. There's a thread somewhere talking about mats. I use a stall mat from tractor supply.

I like the 1/2" thick, heavy-duty (and heavy) cut to fit rubber mats from North West Rubber Products, "Black Armour".

Hound

Sheepdog
Congrats on the new acquisition. Please post Picts after you take delivery. I am very interested in this same exact setup.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Pics or it didn't happen. You'll notice very few threads "selling my popup" except for family concerns.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
You'll notice very few threads "selling my popup" except for family concerns.

Good point. I've had trailers, RTTs, and other outfits, but the popup campers I've been using for the past few years have become a favorite.

BGuerin

Ditto the Black Armour

I like the 1/2" thick, heavy-duty (and heavy) cut to fit rubber mats from North West Rubber Products, "Black Armour".

I also use the 1/2" Black Armour mat under my Hawk, even FWC installer made a positive comment on the quality of the mat. I've barely had to adjust the turnbuckles in the two months I've hah my camper and I've put over 2500 miles since install.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
A few suggestions:
A small 2 or 3 step step ladder is handy for access to the camper and also if you need to reach a roof rack, remove debris from roof, clean off a solar panel, brush snow off roof, etc. A small dust pan and brush (unless you got the built in vac option...just kidding). A washing line or similar and hooks to hang up wet clothing (I always forget the clothes pegs). A tarp or awning setup if you don't have the optional camper awning (or even if you do). A long handled broom (if you are winter camping) for snow removal from roof. A roll of duct tape and a toothpaste size tube of silicone for emergency repairs. A small box of disposable rubber gloves for port-potti emptying. If you are camping in muddy /dirty conditions a floor mat /boot tray is very handy. Those little stick on bubble levels are handy when you are trying to level the camper. I could go on, but i am sure you will come up with your own list after a few outings.
Good luck with the new camper.

Definitely add the bags these new trucks squat bad. I have 350 springs and bags in my 11 250. Added the 350 this spring when had to replace because of a broke spring. Figured I would rather put them in than 250 spring which already had a problem with.
Pretty pumped.. My wife and I have been working with Denny in JHFWC and purchase a new 15 Hawk to be picked up in sept. :wings: Just in time for elk season.. We are beyond excited and fired up to have a nice place to crash while on the hunt..

Big question.... What will we need for the camper? We are new to this..

The camper will be going in a new F250 short bed... Went ahead and linex the bed and installed a titian fuel tank. I loaded the bed down yesterday with 1500lb of feed to get an idea of the squat the hawk may cause.. I am pretty sure i am going to add airbags.

Obviously, a hose and inline filter to fill the water tank.. leveling boards for level sleeping.. random tools...

Any advise is much appreciated.. Thank you

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
I'm going to disagree about the bed mat. I also have a Line-X spray in and that's all you need. Check your turnbuckles before trips especially long one or ones you'll be off road. Sounds like you're already a camper so look at your existing gear. We've found we had everything we needed and over time have paired down our gear and replaced some things so they stow better in the camper. We augment storage with 3 plastic totes that go in last and come out first. You'll get a feel for how you load and unload over time and will adjust what you carry. Enjoy your new camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles