New Fuso 4x4

Tex68w

Beach Bum
How common are the 4x4 models here in the states? I can't find any new 4x4 models listed at dealers but maybe I am not searching for the right thing?!

SuperVan

Forager
Finding a new one at this point would be a stretch... I think there were a few available earlier this year but needle in a haystack now.

To the best of my knowledge, they are not importing the 4x4 any more and per the news feeds, they have changed over to gas.

Best bet is used and an even better bet, the older series. Rare but they do show up from time to time on eBay etc.

Earthcruiser may have a stash and since they are moving a different direction, they may part with one (if they even have any left).

Good luck!

1000arms

How common are the 4x4 models here in the states? I can't find any new 4x4 models listed at dealers but maybe I am not searching for the right thing?!

You might find the following useful:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Sounds like I should be looking for an older model. This is a bummer, but thanks for the links!

LoupGarou

As for the later model Fuso trucks with emissions hardware, you’re not going to run into issues that aren’t found in later model GM, Ford and Dodge diesel trucks.

The hardware functions the same, it’s the form and fit that changes between vehicle manufacturers.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
As for the later model Fuso trucks with emissions hardware, you’re not going to run into issues that aren’t found in later model GM, Ford and Dodge diesel trucks.

The hardware functions the same, it’s the form and fit that changes between vehicle manufacturers.

I'm not sure I would agree with that. Most mechanics and operators would tell you that the late model (3.0 + Duonic) Fusos are service nightmares compared to the domestic offerings.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I agree with pugslyyy. GM, Ford, and Dodge are not ending sales in the USA as Mitsubishi is. It seems the market has spoken
The ingredients may be close to being the same, but their recipe has not been successful.

LoupGarou

I'm not sure I would agree with that. Most mechanics and operators would tell you that the late model (3.0 + Duonic) Fusos are service nightmares compared to the domestic offerings.

So tell us about these service nightmares that mechanics and operators are reporting about?

Hasn’t Mitsubishi not been responsive with vehicle recalls regarding emissions and Duonic transmissions?

Last edited:

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
Mitsubishi Fuso was early into the market with their emissions systems and paid the price for doing that. However, by the time they decided to step back they had them well and truly sorted. Their decision to leave the US market is probably more political than anything else. I think the fact that NO other manufacturer of diesel vehicles e.g., Iveco etc wants to enter the US market says more about the market than anything else.

Howard70

Adventurer
Hasn’t Mitsubishi not been responsive with vehicle recalls regarding emissions and Duonic transmissions?

In my experience - owned a 2014 and now a 2017, they have been completely responsive. In fact I sorta thought it was time to sell the 2014 because it's warranty was running out. Then the gentleman who bought it from me got a complete emissions and turbo system (plus other stuff but I don't know all the details) installed by Fuso on the remaining warranty. That made selling it a great transaction - I was happy with the 2017 and he felt happy with the 2014 (both trucks are EarthCruiser EXP's).

I've never had a mechanic who knew how to work on either of our trucks tell us they were nightmares or express any frustration with them. But I live a sheltered life and don't get out much....

Howard Snell

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
So tell us about these service nightmares that mechanics and operators are reporting about?

Well there was that whole pesky class action lawsuit that Mitsubishi paid out $17.5 million to settle. When you are selling less than 1500 vehicles a year, that is a huge amount.

"The plaintiffs in this lawsuit allege that Mitsubishi distributed certain Canter trucks that experienced emissions-related engine and after-treatment system issues, as well as transmission issues." Defective emissions "has caused trucks equipped with the BlueTec technology to be inoperable for extended periods of time, costing their owners thousands of dollars in replacement vehicle costs, back-up trucking expenses and lost work."

Fuso died in the US because it had a reputation for being unreliable, especially in comparison to competitors. No fleet operator taking a serious look at total cost of ownership (TCO) wanted to buy them, and that's the kiss of death for a commercial vehicle.

I fully believe that the new drivetrain would have been much more reliable, but the brand was just too damaged.

Last edited:
Reactions: mog

lanceatm

Founder and CEO of EarthCruiser
Cummins Emissions Recall Includes Over 500,000 Engines
Over half a million engines have been voluntarily recalled by Cummins as the result of defective emissions equipment. The recall was the result of a CARB investigation and affects owners of vehicles with 2010-2015 model year Cummins engines.
www.truckinginfo.com
www.truckinginfo.com
Ford Faces $4.2 Billion Lawsuit for Allegedly Dirty F-series Super Duty Diesel
Hundreds of thousands of Ford Super Duty pickups pollute at up to 50 times higher than federal emissions standards, a new class-action lawsuit alleges. Read more at Car and Driver.
www.caranddriver.com
www.caranddriver.com
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10172657-9999.pdf

I can go on and list other manufacturers , the point is mute, meeting CARB is almost impossible with a diesel engine.
From my experience in purchasing and being involved with the servicing of hundreds of real trucks big and small , many different manufacturers FUSO warranty has and I expect will continue to be one of the best in the business, period. It is recently light trucks are being considered for purposes other than moving rocks, the systems are getting in place for product support at a consumer level. Before they become super popular for campers Sprinter vans where the same boat, things change.

It will cost FUSO more money to leave than to stay, no rocket science in that. Simply the next round of compliance is not worth the hassle , fuel cells are where they are putting there money and its very exciting .
As a side note they have built enough trucks for 2021 and beyond in the USA, the trucks have never been better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles