New Four Wheel Camper owner

Last edited:

Deltarat

Observer
Thanks, I fixed the link.

Deltarat
I ordered the two led lights from two different places. One from Furneaux Riddall and one from here.

One was $140.83 U.S. dollars with shipping and one was $172.10 U.S. dollars with shipping. I can't remember what web site was cheaper but I think it was the Furneaux Riddall one. I've been really happy with these lights.

Thanks Guys..I'll check both of the sources.

Extra Insulation

As others have done, I added an extra layer of insulation to the lower section of the camper.

DSC03541.jpg

I used foam board that blew out of a constuction site dumpster !!!SCORE ;). To attach the insulation I used 3M Polystyrene Foam Insulation Spray Adhesive #78. This stuff works great.

The bottom section of my camper is 39 inches wide. The distance between my wheel wells is 42 inches. The foam board that I found just happened to be 1 inch which made it a good fit.

Putting the camper back on my truck is my next job.

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
As others have done, I added an extra layer of insulation to the lower section of the camper.

DSC03541.jpg

I used foam board that blew out of a constuction site dumpster !!!SCORE ;). To attach the insulation I used 3M Polystyrene Foam Insulation Spray Adhesive #78. This stuff works great.

The bottom section of my camper is 39 inches wide. The distance between my wheel wells is 42 inches. The foam board that I found just happened to be 1 inch which made it a good fit.

Putting the camper back on my truck is my next job.

Make sure you cut some small pieces of foam and glue them to the back of the access panels to the tie downs. I even put some thin foam seal tape around where the panel seats against the side of the camper. This made a huge difference. I was getting a stream of cold air.
Jeff

Do your access pannels slide to the side or do then hinge up or down. Mine slide to the side so I'm not sure if I can put insulation on the back side and still have them open up.

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Good point. I forgot to say how I did it.
Take the top channel out altogether. Take sticky backed velcro and run it along the top of the panel. That way you set the access panel with the foam backing into the bottom channel and then push the top into the velcro. I also made this change to the access panels because I did the dinette conversion.
Let me know if this didn't make sense and I will post pics.
Jeff

I couldn't leave a job unfinished. I purchased a sheet of 1/2 inch insulation from Menards. The only mistake I made is I didn't realize until I had attached two pieces that the Owens Corning brand foam board has a protective plastic membrane that needs to be removed before gluing.

DSC03547.jpg

I left one half of a slot open for storage of the sink drain hose.

1stDeuce

Explorer
So how is the solar/batteries/12v fridge thing working out?? I didn't see any install on solar panels yet, so I'm guessing right now you're just running the two batts for the fridge. I was thinking one battery would be ideal, as I'm trying to keep weight down, and perhaps a 25 watt solar panel to help out... should give about 2A in the CO sun... I can always start the truck for a little bit if the battery gets too low. I'll have the 12v supply from the truck on a relay so it will only charge when the truck is running. (Actually, I'll run the relay off the tail lights, since that won't require an extra wire to be run, and I always drive with the lights on anyway.)
Chris

So how is the solar/batteries/12v fridge thing working out?? I didn't see any install on solar panels yet, so I'm guessing right now you're just running the two batts for the fridge. I was thinking one battery would be ideal, as I'm trying to keep weight down, and perhaps a 25 watt solar panel to help out... should give about 2A in the CO sun... I can always start the truck for a little bit if the battery gets too low. I'll have the 12v supply from the truck on a relay so it will only charge when the truck is running. (Actually, I'll run the relay off the tail lights, since that won't require an extra wire to be run, and I always drive with the lights on anyway.)
Chris

You're right, I don't have solar. So far so good. As of right now I have no need for solar. Easily enough charge for 2 to 3 days (in one spot) with some furnace usage. And as you've said, If I run low on amps I can just start the truck for a quick charge.

fishingchef

Thanks for sharing all of your great work, I am just starting to plan on saving some money and buying a a FWC of my own, I live in MN and was wondering to how low of a temperature you have slept in your camper, would love to able to use while ice fsihing in the winter months. I 've slept comfortably in my truck cap setup to single digits w/out heat, so -0 temps seem realistic with a heated camper?
Thanks for sharing your progress I am really excited at how much more efficient one these campers will make my our weekend fishing trips/camping excursions. Until then all I can do is read everyones cool stuff on here, dream, and aborb info. Thanks

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Thanks for sharing all of your great work, I am just starting to plan on saving some money and buying a a FWC of my own, I live in MN and was wondering to how low of a temperature you have slept in your camper, would love to able to use while ice fsihing in the winter months. I 've slept comfortably in my truck cap setup to single digits w/out heat, so -0 temps seem realistic with a heated camper?
Thanks for sharing your progress I am really excited at how much more efficient one these campers will make my our weekend fishing trips/camping excursions. Until then all I can do is read everyones cool stuff on here, dream, and aborb info. Thanks

I've slept in mine at freezing temps. Since mine is a shell model, I don't have a hard mounted factory furnace. I use a small Mr Buddy heater. It worked so well on the low setting that I had to turn it off during the night. I commented to my friend Jack (LoCrwlin) about the lack of insulation and temps without the heater on. He said he has measured the difference between the inside and outside of his FWC and found the inside to be only a few degrees warmer than the outside temps.

23 degrees Fahrenheit is the record low so far for me. The daytime temp. was well above freezing so there was no chance of any frozen water lines. The furnace had no problem keeping the camper warm. I plan on adding a layer of reflex insulation under the cab over section of the bed next summer. I've never felt the need for it but I have the stuff already and it's basically a weightless add on. Lance offers this as an option so I figure it wouldn’t hurt to try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior