New FORD TRANSIT CONNECT - cool delivery van

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
You've been asking Ford to do it for years. Yes, bring over all those cool European models and they'll fly off the lots you've told them.

Well, Ford was listening, so here you go. Straight from Kocaeli, Turkey, it's the 2010 Ford Transit Connect, a compact commercial van that's just too cool to be called Econoline.
Powered by a 2.0-liter four-cylinder Duratec engine and mated to a four-speed automatic transmission, the Transit Connect is built on a front wheel drive commercial vehicle platform. With only 136hp and 128 pound feet of torque, the Transit Connect should handle light-duty hauling chores while providing solid fuel economy. Ford says the final EPA numbers should come in around 20mpg in the city and 24mpg on the highway.

Businesses will be able to order the Transit Connect as a panel van or with side windows and a rear bench seat. Maximum cargo capacity is 135 cubic feet and the maximum payload is 1,600 pounds. Sales are expected to begin this summer with a base price of $21,475, including destination.

10.ford.transit.connect.act-f34-1.jpg

10.ford.transit.connect.r34-2.jpg

10.ford.transit.connect.fint1.jpg

10.ford.transit.connect.r34-1.jpg

10.ford.transit.connect.rint1.jpg

10.ford.transit.connect.f34-1.jpg

Last edited:

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Nice. I rented a small motor home for a month in New Zealand 1 1/2 years ago from www.newzealandfrontiers.com that was based on a Ford Transit van. I loved it. Great power and fantastic mileage with the 4 cyl diesel.

Capt Sport

Adventurer
They had one of these on display at SEMA this year, looked like a good vehicle for converting to a camper. Unfortunately they said no 4 wheel drive and no diesel, but it had quite a bit of room in it.

haven

Expedition Leader
It will be interesting to see what Sportsmobile does
with the Transit Connect.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/transitconnect/

overall length 179.3 inches
wheelbase 114.6 inches
height 77.9 inches
outside width 70.7 inches (not including mirrors)

143 cubic feet of cargo volume
cargo payload 1,600 pounds

59.1 inches floor to ceiling
72.6 inches from front seatback to rear door
56.7 inches wall to wall width
47.8 inches between the wheel arches (why not 48 for a pallet?)
[edit: the Ford web site now claims the space between wheel arches is 48.1 inches]

one or two sliding side doors optional
dual barn door-style rear doors

engine 2.0-liter DOHC four-cylinder
transmission 4 speed auto
136 hp, 128 ft.-lbs
P205/65R-15 tires
EPA mpg 20 city/24 highway

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
Check out the Transit Xpress - pretty cool for a sporty ride.
the website is cool, the interior flexibility is exciting for road trippin!

Attachments

• Picture-1.jpg
    Picture-1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,054

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
pricing announced today

2010 Ford Transit Connect Minivan/Van
Cargo Van XL w/o Side & Rear Glass FWD 2.0L I4 Auto N/A $20,780
Cargo Van XL w/Rear Glass FWD 2.0L I4 Auto N/A $20,965
Cargo Van XL w/Side & Rear Glass FWD 2.0L I4 Auto N/A $21,035
Cargo Van XLT w/o Side & Rear Glass FWD 2.0L I4 Auto N/A $21,840
Cargo Van XLT w/Rear Glass FWD 2.0L I4 Auto N/A $22,180
Cargo Van XLT w/Side & Rear Glass FWD 2.0L I4 Auto N/A $22,250
2010 Ford Transit Connect Minivan/Van (Wagon)
Wagon XL FWD 2.0L I4 Auto N/A $21,135
Wagon XLT FWD 2.0L I4 Auto N/A $22,350

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I have been told that I am suppose to Demo and test a new vehicle for my company that is suppose to be a "More green service vehicle" that they want to use to replace part of our fleet. My company has more vehicles then UPS. :Wow1:

I have no idea what this vehicle is nor does my boss or his boss. All we know is it is a "small narrow van". It is suppose to be delivered to my office at some point but again nobody knows when.

I wonder if it is one of these.

I already give it a great big FAIL for my all my needs. I regularly load a AWD Chevy Express cargo up to the windows and that sometimes includes 8ft long directional antenna's. It will however cover most of my needs.

I don't think it will work for many of the FE's I support. Most drive 4x4's because of remote locations with dirt or gravel roads. I have seen sever of them show up with shredded tires and caved in rockers. That thing will not work for them. LOL

I'll post up once what ever it is shows up.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Seems smaller than the Transit they sell in the UK.

That's because it's not a Transit. The full size Transit is a direct competitor to the Sprinter. The Transit Connect is a smaller model, based on the C1 Focus chassis.

HINO SG

Adventurer
grim reaper,
the Ford Transit will replace the Econoline fullsize vans in the USA.

do you have a source for that? it's come up a buch of times in the last decade, but nothing ever happens. Used to see mfr. owned Transits in Detroit over a decade ago.

The Transit would be nice if could beat Sprinter on price; otherwise, V-8 power is kind of nice, esp. V-8 diesel.

David_in_TX

Adventurer
Here is a European Class B RV that is built on a Fiat Doblo chassis, which is very similar to the Ford Transit Connect van. This RV has a 2 burner stove, sink, refrigerator, double bed, and porta potty and gets up to 58 MPG! I am looking forward to seeing American RV manufacturers (Sportsmobile? Roadtrek? Pleasure-Way? LTV? ???) build an RV on the Ford Transit Connect.

http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11&Itemid=27

fiat.jpg

It will be interesting to see what Sportsmobile does
with the Transit Connect.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/transitconnect/

overall length 179.3 inches
wheelbase 114.6 inches
height 77.9 inches
outside width 70.7 inches (not including mirrors)

143 cubic feet of cargo volume
cargo payload 1,600 pounds

59.1 inches floor to ceiling
72.6 inches from front seatback to rear door
56.7 inches wall to wall width
47.8 inches between the wheel arches (why not 48 for a pallet?)
[edit: the Ford web site now claims the space between wheel arches is 48.1 inches]

one or two sliding side doors optional
dual barn door-style rear doors

engine 2.0-liter DOHC four-cylinder
transmission 4 speed auto
136 hp, 128 ft.-lbs
P205/65R-15 tires
EPA mpg 20 city/24 highway

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94