New F-350 Order Question- Planning for Bigger Tires

GetOutThere!

I am planning on ordering a new F-350- probably kind of sorted loaded (Lariat.)

was planning on 7.3 gas w 4.3 gearing.

truck will carry 2,000 lbs scout kenai.

am i going to need airbags? Suspension change?

i was planning on getting plow/camper package and fx4- but dont want to throw that money away if i am going to have to swap out components later.

to be clear- i do not plan on doing hardcore offroading with vehicle. Mostly forest service roads in central oregon and occassional longer road trips.

will swapping bumper mean i will lose all the fancy sensors that come w lariat ultimate?

lots of questions! Thanks for help!

Explorerinil

Observer
Good set up, get the heavy duty springs, you’ll be fine. I wouldn’t run air bags, I’ve done that on a few trucks and have always developed a leak, especially after kicking up stones or sticks on ruff roads. Worst case you might get some timberns. You can get bumpers that retain factory sensors.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
I’d skip both packages and add a 2.5” Carli Backcountry kit with the appropriate leaf packs. Regardless of height the ride will be MUCH more enjoyable on forest roads etc. My 22’ on Carli rides so much better than my stock 17’ 350 on rough lease roads and forest roads. The 2.5” kit is basically just a level on these trucks, so you won’t be gaining much height.
If you’re dead set on it either way still skip the plow prep pack and go only for camper pack. A bumper alone doesn’t warrant enough weight to suffer the harsher ride of the stiffer front l springs.

GetOutThere!

If you’re dead set on it either way still skip the plow prep pack and go only for camper pack. A bumper alone doesn’t warrant enough weight to suffer the harsher ride of the stiffer front l springs.

The plow prep and camper prep is one package in 2023. You can get plow seperate- but if you get camper it comes w plow. Not sure if it always was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tacollie

Glamper
I’d skip both packages and add a 2.5” Carli Backcountry kit with the appropriate leaf packs. Regardless of height the ride will be MUCH more enjoyable on forest roads etc. My 22’ on Carli rides so much better than my stock 17’ 350 on rough lease roads and forest roads. The 2.5” kit is basically just a level on these trucks, so you won’t be gaining much height.
This 100%. There is not much up travel from the factory and Ford compensates for it by using extremely stiff springs. Carli coils are worth every cent imo.

GeorgeHayduke

Maybe consider the factory sway bar (might already come in the camper package?). The Kenai is not terribly heavy as far as hardsides go, but it's tall and if you get the rooftop tent there's enough weight up high that you might appreciate some additional roll stiffness.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
The plow prep and camper prep is one package in 2023. You can get plow seperate- but if you get camper it comes w plow. Not sure if it always was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ah didn’t realize that. They have been separate when I ordered both my 17 and 22.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
That makes me lean towards my original recommendation a bit more honestly. Or even just a commuter kit with the progressive leaf pack and front springs. Either one will be immensely more enjoyable on forest service roads and not much more money at all.

GetOutThere!

That makes me lean towards my original recommendation a bit more honestly. Or even just a commuter kit with the progressive leaf pack and front springs. Either one will be immensely more enjoyable on forest service roads and not much more money at all.

I know nothing about suspensions/tire/wheels.

Ballpark how much are we talking? Including labor?

Is it going to void the warranty?

montypower

Adventure Time!
I'd definitely get rid of the factory suspension regardless. It's terrible.

Carli makes great components. Deaver makes rear leaf springs. Get springs and shocks tuned for your actual travel weight. You'll love it.

Ditch the sway bars. Get 2.5" shocks (Fox, King or similar).

Your suspension warranty will be voided (as it will be removed) but Ford can't legally deny claims on other components unless they prove failure was related to modifications.

Other Stuff to order:
Vinyl Seats, Vinyl Flooring, Rear locking differential, gas skid plate, aux switches.
Pass on all the packages FX4, camper package

You'll love it! Great trucks.

GetOutThere!

Other Stuff to order:
Vinyl Seats, Vinyl Flooring, Rear locking differential, gas skid plate, aux switches.
Pass on all the packages FX4, camper package

You'll love it! Great trucks.

If I don't order the FX4 I also lose the Hill Descent Control and the skid plates- I don't see another way to order skid plates. I think the locking rear differential is independent of the FX4? Is that correct?

If I pay the $500 for the FX4 for the hill assist and descent control is there a downside (other than being out $500?)

montypower

Adventure Time!
Order options seems to change by model. We ordered skid plates for $100. Hill assist is not good to depend on. Better to learn to drive. Those features can malfunction... Driver skill always works!

Traction control is the same deal vs locking diffentials. Not the same thing! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94