New Expedition Camper - Overland Explorer

Rebellion

Observer
I looked at an induction cooktop but decided against due to the power consumption when working on solar.

Howard what's wrong with the diesel cooktop, its a little slow to boil water but once its hot it works fine. We have 400W of solar and use and electric kettle to make tea/coffee in the morning, boils in no time.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Induction also requires special or heavy pans. (must be cast iron or stainless steel)

Personally, I prefer to not have to worry about special pans.
And there is no way Id ever consider hauling around a complete set of cast iron pans, simply due to weight.

Freebird

Adventurer
Rebellion - You use a resistance heated kettle, but bad mouth induction? That is a interesting take on efficiency...
IdaSho - The whole pot does not have to be cast iron heavy. Only the bottoms of the pots/pans/skillets need to be heavier due to the need for ferrous metal in the bottom. Yes, they are heavier weight than aluminum, but very functional.
I love the speed it heats up, and the near instant controllability. Life is full of trade offs.

Let's not Hijack Howard's very interesting thread any further. If somebody feels the need to re-plow this well plowed ground, please start a new thread, or reactivate one of the old ones.

HowardH

Adventurer
All good stuff. I've used an induction cooktop at home. It seems to cycle on and off rapidly. I like gas, it's consistent, you set it at a level and that's where it stays.

Not going to give up on the diesel but not gonna spend 40 minutes making coffee either. Gotta get the outdoor kitchen up and running. Need to get my awning sorted out for that to happen.

Virtually no info on the internet about cooking on diesel cooktops I can find. Not a big fan of the slave burner. Basically you cook one dish at a time and as it's done you slide it over to stay warm.

Returned home tonight. I'll post a better update(s) in the next few days.

HowardH

Adventurer
All diesel. I've a LP bbq and stove set up for the outdoor kitchen. Just have yet to get it dialed in and use it. Partly due to the fact I've no awning yet.

java

Expedition Leader
All diesel. I’ve a LP bbq and stove set up for the outdoor kitchen. Just have yet to get it dialed in and use it. Partly due to the fact I’ve no awning yet.
On board propane though? Shouldn't be hard to tap into for a stove.

I need an awning too.....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

HowardH

Adventurer
I just stumbled on your thread, beautiful vehicle and camper! Have you changed these springs? The reason I ask is because the photo shows them cinched down to nearly solid height. That means they are unable to move and won't last long. I have done a lot of research on spring mounted beds but have never gotten much information on real world spring rates. I would be interested in seeing what actually works for your application. If it is still in this configuration then basically, you are solid mounted. I have some experience working with industrial springs and am willing to help as much as I can to gain some real world numbers if you are interested.

I’ve no idea so I asked Mark “Jeep” from Overland Explorer. This is what he said. “The springs are long, there's all the room it needs to move as much as it needs to move. We did cycle it in the shop and set it up with just over an inch of movement when everything was installed. The deck does stiffen the frame to a degree.“

S2DM

Adventurer
Check out the silken 2 induction cooktop from Kenyon. We are using one indoors and one in our outdoor kitchen, along with their frontier electric bbq (which I love). Much higher quality stuff than the true induction (I’ve had both) and the Kenyon is also rated for continuous outdoor use. I’m taking all the propane stuff out of our 38’ downeast boat right now and converting it to Kenyon as well.

I have quite a few friends with the diesel cooktops and the most positive review is generally “it’s ok”. But most end up hating them. Good luck servicing that item as well. most Quality cookware is also induction friendly with the exception of the cheaper non stick stuff.

Rebellion

Observer
Freebird, I was not knocking the induction cooktop. I have been on the road for nine months now without plugging into any power supply, just running on solar and house batteries. My issue is the length of the draw on the batteries, a small electric kettle will draw for 3-4 minutes while an induction cooktop will draw for a longer period due to the cooking time of the meal being prepared.

HowardH

Adventurer
If you don’t have enough battery to cook with induction... you don’t have enough battery period...

How do I determine how much battery draw an induction cooktop would take? Also I currently have one that I am not happy with. It is this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037Z7HQK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My issue with it is it seems to constantly be turning on and off. For example while frying potatoes; they cycle from sizzling away to just sitting and doing nothing. Back and forth. Seems like the temp regulator on the cooktop is cycling on and off.

java

Expedition Leader
How do I determine how much battery draw an induction cooktop would take? Also I currently have one that I am not happy with. It is this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037Z7HQK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My issue with it is it seems to constantly be turning on and off. For example while frying potatoes; they cycle from sizzling away to just sitting and doing nothing. Back and forth. Seems like the temp regulator on the cooktop is cycling on and off.

The one you have is 1800W, 1800W @120V at a power factor of 1 is 15Amps. @12VDC that would be 150 amps (roughly ignoring conversion to 120v thru inverter etc.) Lets say 25 mins (of actual cooking time on high, seems reasonable for a day? ) is 37.5AH, call it 40AH with conversion losses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles