New drawer/platform build.

mykdee

Adventurer
The wife & I just picked up a 2003 Chevy Express van that we will be using for our business, camping and I will use it for target shooting & riding my motorcycle.
So my goal is a universal drawer setup that I can use for all of the above. I started on it last weekend and my goal is full extension 4ft & 5ft drawers. I will be making my own slides from skate bearings & 1"x1" square tubing. Majority of the space in my drawers will be for my tools that I use for our business, but I also want to be able to safely secure a few rifles.
Here is the progress so far....

[/URL[URL=http://s1129.photobucket.com/user/mykdee/media/IMG_1677_zpssu7x4wjo.jpg.html]

mykdee

Adventurer
I carpeted part of the top and finished the drawers faces. Just need to find the right handles.

Sunday I was out at the range/desert and almost stepped on this while going to take a piss. Scared the crap out of me!!!

Started building the rifle storage in one of the drawers. Still trying to figure out a way to secure the rifle with a lock. The small dividers are removable to adjust for different sized rifles.

NikonRon

Adventurer
Sunday I was out at the range/desert and almost stepped on this while going to take a piss. Scared the crap out of me!!!

Co-exist, just saying. Ron

mykdee

Adventurer

Co-exist, just saying. Ron

I had no problem co-existing with said snake, until it struck at me while I was going to take a piss minding my own business. Than it became survival of the fittest! Unfortunately the snake brought fangs to a gun fight, and lost!
I am not one to go around looking to kill snakes, but when this one was close to where we were shooting and struck at me, I was not going to just let it be.

rayra

Expedition Leader
That's a good kill, especially when it's a people-space. There's absolutely no shortage of young diamondbacks in the SW. Ron can go hug a Copperhead, if he's 'triggered' about it. Ain't no shortage of those in KY, either.

Nice storage. I made sure to build my Suburban drawers long enough for my rifles, but I'm just using zippered bags for them. I bought locking paddle latches for the drawers. Although I suppose an anchored thru cable would be a greater delay for a thief.

mykdee

Adventurer
That's a good kill, especially when it's a people-space. There's absolutely no shortage of young diamondbacks in the SW. Ron can go hug a Copperhead, if he's 'triggered' about it. Ain't no shortage of those in KY, either.

Nice storage. I made sure to build my Suburban drawers long enough for my rifles, but I'm just using zippered bags for them. I bought locking paddle latches for the drawers. Although I suppose an anchored thru cable would be a greater delay for a thief.

I am just looking to do exactly that...delay or discourage a would be thief. I was also thinking of a large diameter cotter pin through both walls and the trigger guard with a lock on one end. Should have something figured out by this weekend.

chet6.7

Explorer
My neighbors cat and another neighbors dog weren't able to coexist,I kill rattlers when I see them on my property.In the wild,if they warn me, OK, I will walk around them.
You made the right decision.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Cable lock is about the only thing that will work in that narrow space or be able to pass thru the mag well adn ejection port of an AR-15. Lot like trying to lock a bicycle, as most can have the trigger guard pivot open or the carry handle removed.

locking paddle latches

auxbatt062%20current_zpsxu1s588o.jpg

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/161631-Storage-Drawers-Platform-for-my-GMT800-Suburban-WIP

But someone with a large screwdriver or pry bar could get them open quickly. Mine were mostly for lip service to the law on lawful transport of some firearms in CA. And enough to slow up a smash and grab. Heck the whole idea of my drawer / platform build was so nothing was visible to a thief looking in the windows.

Last edited:

mykdee

Adventurer
Cable lock is about the only thing that will work in that narrow space or be able to pass thru the mag well adn ejection port of an AR-15. Lot like trying to lock a bicycle, as most can have the trigger guard pivot open or the carry handle removed.

locking paddle latches

auxbatt062%20current_zpsxu1s588o.jpg

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/161631-Storage-Drawers-Platform-for-my-GMT800-Suburban-WIP

But someone with a large screwdriver or pry bar could get them open quickly. Mine were mostly for lip service to the law on lawful transport of some firearms in CA. And enough to slow up a smash and grab. Heck the whole idea of my drawer / platform build was so nothing was visible to a thief looking in the windows.

That is my main goal, to keep the thieves that are just looking for a quick opportunity to get something. Not looking for long term security, mainly when I stop at a store or restaurant on my way to go shooting or camping.

THATSALEXUS?

Adventurer
Started building the rifle storage in one of the drawers. Still trying to figure out a way to secure the rifle with a lock. The small dividers are removable to adjust for different sized rifles.

My first thought would be the same type of gun lock components they use for police cars: Butt shoes, coupled with barrel locks and takedown pin guards can all work together to keep an AR relatively secure and there are shotgun specific locks and universal forend type locks too. These are all individual components, so with a little imagination, you may be able to come up with something that works in your application.

You may have built yourself into a bit of a figurative corner with the front to rear vertical wall, but you may be able to notch out a hole or come up with an alternate location for an AR for the barrel lock to have room to open up.

This may provide some inspiration

Or you could just put a lock on the drawer:D

mykdee

Adventurer
Made a table insert for one of the sides. I am also building one for the other side that is stained and sealed that way I can use it to cook on. The carpeted side will be for shooting off of.

NIVEK_TURK

Observer
Very nice build! I've been considering the homemade ball bearing slides for my build, how did you create the drawer stop?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles