New Dobinson Gen 3 Montero/Pajero Lift Kit Option

ChrisCosta416

Yeah I think all of these options are a cost compromise vs a real suspension setup like you have. Maybe the RAIDs aren't. I did watch some of that video but that guy can kiss my butt lol I'm not spending $4000 plus on some shocks and springs to drive down some fire roads.

Is there a particular reason you thnk the Lovell's springs are better than OME? Quality, longevity, spring rate?

The main takeaway from the video was not about the King shocks but about potentially misleading statements or advertising other shock mfgs do.

Like I said for fireroads you can’t go wrong with Koni Heavy Tracks (Not RAIDs) and Lovells coils.

Lovells has more weight options for the truck, better quality and more spring rates. Lusooverland.com is now a US distro for them

Leeson

Dobinson's are installed on the Monty. The ones in the OP. I opted for the strut top caps and assembly option. Installation was as straight-forward as it can be although doing the fronts aren't a ton of fun.
Seems like quality stuff. The shocks are a little beefier even than the Bilstein 5100s I recently put on my 2016 Sierra 2500.

One small issue I had is that their website warns about setting the struts to a certain height, yet the paper instructions say an entirely different height, and they came to me at a third height. It took 5 phone calls to Dobinsons (and I left a voicemail on Monday and never got a call back all week) to talk to someone and figure out that the paper instructions are the correct height (9.61 inches). They warn online of serious damage if this instruction isn't followed. I mentioned that I paid for assembly and if they're supposed to be set at the correct height and he said yes but one was at 9.9" and the other at 9.75". I asked if it was fine if I set them both to 9.75 and he said that's fine so that's where they're at. The front sits a bit low so the extra height (actually adds about .3" to the ride height) helps. I put new poly lower spring seats in the rear so that made the back end a bit higher than it otherwise would be I guess.

Anyway only driven about 20 miles in town so far so I can't review them. All I notice is I sit much higher and the suspension is firmer, less body roll. Moab in 3 weeks though.

ChrisCosta416

What are your CV angles at currently, I am sure you can adjust the preload to a bit higher if you really wanted to. Just to note, the more you increase preload, the harsher the ride will get.

Leeson

share a pic! If its too high it will affect your traction control!
I have an 02, from what I gather they don't have TC.
This is the rear, the front is not as extreme. The lower spring pads in the rear I think are adding extra height. They're easily a quarter inch thick and being that the springs are pretty far in on the control arms that could equate to, I don't know, a half inch of actual loft or more? Thinking about replacing them with just a thin sheet of rubber and see how that does. Unfortunately I threw out the old worn-out ones.

Only thing I don't like in the front is the caster. I don't think positive caster is ever a good thing.

Attachments

• 20201020_080023.jpg
    20201020_080023.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 40

Vector78

George Gergov
I am thinking of getting these. From what I can tell its approx $500 dollar difference from a lovell/(koni/bilstein) combo once you factor new front strut hardware and install.

The shocks appear to be visible better and thus far feedback from Toyota community is very positive. These are made in Australia and the company is family owned. Their coils appear to be of very high quality too.

Leesen - How are you liking them thus far? Toyota guys say that the ride/compliance improves after a few miles. Which spring rates did you get btw?

C43-124 is lift only while C43-126 is lift plus 200lbs for the front from my understanding. The rear is C43-125 for 2" lift with 200lbs load, There are other options for heavier applications.

There are two options to purchase the IMS Kits:

A.) Though Dobinson's Direct (https://www.dobinsonsdirect.com/products/dobinsons-4x4-ims-lift-kit-for-mitsubishi-pajero-v7-2000-on)

or

B.) Exit Off-Road (Mike has been very knowledgeable and supporting in the Toyota community) He just added the kit to his website but the front coils will need to be addressed depending if you have a bull bar or not.
(https://exitoffroad.com/product/dobinsons-ims-lift-kit-for-mitsubishi-montero-nm-np-ns-nt-wagons/)

PM me for discount codes for both places btw.

Vector78

George Gergov
Are you referring to the piston diameter? For the Gen3 they are 50mm or ~2" diameter. Bils/Koni HDs are 46mm pistons.

Here are the specs:

Dobinsons IMS Monotube Shock Absorbers are designed for next level performance over Twin Tube Shocks in those hot, harsh, demanding conditions. By utilising the Monotube design, Dobinsons IMS Shock Absorbers are able to resist fade far longer on corrugated roads, long or hard working 4WD trips, towing or racing conditions.

The larger 50 and 60mm high flow pistons reduce internal pressures, reduce the heat generated, transfer heat to the body for faster cooling and offer improved damping performance and vehicle control at higher shaft speeds on rough terrain and during big impacts. Threaded bodies on struts allow for fine tuning of height and offer further improvements in cooling.
The micro-polished, hard chromed and heat treated shock shaft, CNC aluminium high flow race inspired piston, and DOM seamless tubing body provides the ultimate in performance and off-road durability.

Composite piston wear bands and a race style 3-stage sealing system offer the lowest levels of friction whilst maintaining durability and longevity. Dobinsons team of engineers spend hundreds of hours of testing and tuning
the shim stacks and damping characteristics in each IMS Shock to ensure a balance of comfort, handling, vehicle control and offroad performance - Enjoy the ride

Features
  • Fully re-buildable and re-valvable
  • Zero shock fade in all terrains with full load
  • Direct, bolt-on replacement for easy fitment
  • Uses existing full range of coil springs and top mounts
  • Highest quality rubber bushings top and bottom for maximum NVH dampening
  • Corrosion resistant (EDP Surface Protection)
  • Heavy duty single piece lower leg
  • Enormous oil capacity
  • Heavy Duty 3 Stage FKM HNBR Sealing System for the ultimate in reliability
  • Race inspired hi-flow CNC 6061 Billet alloy piston – for the ultimate in offroad handling
  • 56mm/2.2” Bodied Series - 50mm hi-flow CNC 6061 Billet alloy piston - 50mm bore
  • 66mm/2.6” Bodied Series - 60mm hi-flow CNC 6061 Billet alloy piston - 60mm bore

ChrisCosta416

Not referring to the piston size. Before I continue, I am not knocking on them but folks should know, Dobinsons are designed in Aus, but for the past few years all their shocks have been made in Asia. The IMS kit is worth it for the price point but when it comes to quality, Bilsteins and Koni - have been in the shock industry for decades and are still made in Europe.

• Zero shock fade in all terrains with full load - Any shock is subject to shock fade after an extended period of time (even kings) just because it has a remote reservoir does not mean you will not experience shock fade - https://www.crawlpedia.com/shock_valving.htm
  • Enormous Oil Capacity - Define enormous - I am pretty sure the Koni Raid 90s hold way more shock oil as its a 70MM body. (Again not knocking Dobs, I just think folks need to make an informed decision and look outside the box with anything they buy, including Koni and Bilsteins as well)
  • Race inspired hi-flow CNC 6061 Billet alloy piston – for the ultimate in offroad handling - A bigger piston is always good but the difference between a 46 to 50mm piston is 0.157480315 inches. When choosing a higher end shock take into account build quality, shim stacks and position and valving. -https://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/digressive-vs-linear-vs-progressive-pistons-shock-valving/

For the price its a good kit, that will show when off-road. I just wanted to point out what I meant by "Clever marketing" The Old Man Emu BP-51s have the same clever marketing as well. Btw - we can fix Fox Shocks on the rears of our trucks. just a heads up!

ARDOR

Please allow me to muddy the water a bit more here, but have any of you ever looked into Ultimate Suspension from Australia?

They've a seemingly stellar reputation on many of the Australian forums, supposedly offer incredible customer service, and are fully rebuildable and manufactured in Australia I believe...

If nothing else, they'd likely warrant a look.

ChrisCosta416

Please allow me to muddy the water a bit more here, but have any of you ever looked into Ultimate Suspension from Australia?

They've a seemingly stellar reputation on many of the Australian forums, supposedly offer incredible customer service, and are fully rebuildable and manufactured in Australia I believe...

If nothing else, they'd likely warrant a look.
Pajero owners in Aus love this kit and swear buy it, I believe these shocks are still made in Aus today due to their low volume and they warrant a look, however depending on shipping, getting Koni Raids to the US might be more cost effective.

It should also be noted, the previous Dobinsons MRR shocks (which I believe the IMS still is just had slight changes) has had failures in Aus many times, from shocks leaking to fittings failing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier