New Defender?

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Rumors are flying about the replacement Defender. Her's a photo of what looks like a very cool design:

http://i71.imagethrust.com/images/lL/view-image/new-defender.html

If that is indeed it, it looks like everything I wish Toyota had done with the FJ Cruiser, including a solid front axle! The classic Series lines are apparent in the new Defender, just updated.

So, the question is, will they import it to the U.S.? They would have been dumb not to have incorporated fittings for air bags in the steering wheel and passenger dash.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Yeah, cool, but too much like a cross between a G-Wagen and an LR3 too me. Lets see what happens.

ShearPin

Adventurer
Defender Looks Good

Damn, it looks a lot like the Rover based Ibex vehicles. I like it a lot. As a Rover fan one of my concerns was a loss of utility in the Defender line. I like slab sides and squared corners. They add up to large and useable interior space.

At my local Toyota dealer they have an 80's Prado Land Cruiser 4 door Diesel parked beside the new FJ - salesman said the Prado is doing the dealer circuit as a promo. What struck me was how similar in size they were yet the FJ sacrificed a lot of interior space to the rounded rear and large dash area - styling essentially. I like the FJ - just wished there was a bit more utility.

Henry

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Well, I for one really like it. Let's hope it does come if not to simply boost competition. Bravo for the design.

Yes, the FJ should have actually lived up to it's name and a re-incarnation of the fabulous 40 series. It's too bad Toyota is falling to the same ills as the primary Big3, thinking simply that it's cheaper to take a 4Runner base and put some different body panels on it and create a new market. Yes, they're doing that, but to loosing people like me as a future customer. If you're Toyota, you have SO MUCH R&D money to make something like this, and plus they already have something like this developed called the 70 series which would cost next to nothing IMO to make US compliant. Off my rant...

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
pskhaat said:
Well, I for one really like it. Let's hope it does come if not to simply boost competition. Bravo for the design.

Yes, the FJ should have actually lived up to it's name and a re-incarnation of the fabulous 40 series. It's too bad Toyota is falling to the same ills as the primary Big3, thinking simply that it's cheaper to take a 4Runner base and put some different body panels on it and create a new market. Yes, they're doing that, but to loosing people like me as a future customer. If you're Toyota, you have SO MUCH R&D money to make something like this, and plus they already have something like this developed called the 70 series which would cost next to nothing IMO to make US compliant. Off my rant...

It's due to the price point Toyota wanted to hit/market too. The FJ made financial "cents". :jump:

If they take a 70-series and "US-it"...it won't sell for $25-30K like the FJ Cruiser.

Luv the look of that Defender. I hope a US version is created. :clapsmile

Pskhaat

ShottsCruisers said:
If they take a 70-series and "US-it"...it won't sell for $25-30K

What do you think it'd sell for? More/Less? The base HDJ78 in Oz retails for something like $40k USD. My colleagues at work (where we do market pricing) in Oz they guestimate that all things in Oz have an additional margin of about 15-20% than other markets. And that's obviously a sweet diesel option.

Let's compare something from Venezuela. FZJ78 there after currency conversion is spot on to $24k USD.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
pskhaat said:
What do you think it'd sell for? More/Less? The base HDJ78 in Oz retails for something like $40k USD. My colleagues at work (where we do market pricing) in Oz they guestimate that all things in Oz have an additional margin of about 15-20% than other markets. And that's obviously a sweet diesel option.

Let's compare something from Venezuela. FZJ78 there after currency conversion is spot on to $24k USD.

Wow....40K in Oz? Hmmm. They'd still need to import vs make here in the US. It'd have to be much more but maybe not out of site. Good question?

Pskhaat

You know I think you're right I must stand embarrassed. Looking at it more closely, it looks way too squared on some of the fine lines....

FortyMileDesert

Adventurer
After running out to the garage and looking closely at my rig - :

Those are '04 Discovery "S" wheels, axles and front suspension components with some kind of low profile tires.:coffee:

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I think it's a PhotoShop image also...
Here's an image from the Land Rover UK website:

LR.jpg

Looks familiar....including the license plate number!
:D
Ed

60seriesguy

Adventurer
pskhaat said:

Yeah, but assembled in Venezuela, with a percentage of "local content", and subsidized by the Venezuelan government.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Yup, the folks on the LR mailing list have been discussing the photoshopped nature of the picture. No doubt about it. However, I still think it looks great. If it's a factory photoshop they should go with it. If it was done by someone else, Land Rover should hire him!

I suspect it would cost more than we realize for Toyota to import the 70, 75, or 78 Series. It would likely need a new frame for air bag use, to start with. but the thought of a 70 Series LC with all coil suspension and maybe that five-cylinder turbo-diesel like the one you know who is enjoying right now while we sit here typing . . .!

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
The new 90 looks cool and has good design curves... I like it.

I am actually hoping that Scion Makes a baby truck, and for that to be a DD, and possibly a Hybrid! That would be cool.

However, I have allways wanted a 90 since my first trip to London. A new one sure would be cool especially to compete with the new FJ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94