New Defender stock search in the US?

Corgi_express

I was on a waiting list for a long time, just trying to place the order for my custom Defender build, but my dealer was pretty janky and communication was terrible, so I got a refund on my deposit. Now that I am seeing some of them show up on dealer lots, I am considering just buying from stock instead of ordering custom, if I can find a stock build close enough to what I want. So far, I can not find a decent way to search stock and specify specific features. There are all kinds of issues with trying to search, so I am wondering if anyone has some hints or knows a dealer who will actually work with distance buyers to search stock and try to find a vehicle matching what you want.
  • It’s nearly impossible to search for specific packages. Auto trader does keyword search but it is not great at exact matches and many dealers do not name the packages explicitly.
  • Dealers list things on autotrader even if they are an order that is already spoken for, so you finally chase down a car and it’s not available anyway.
  • Dealers basically never answer inquiries about specific cars.
  • I can’t find a vin decoding website that works with new Defender vins, so can’t double check the build sheet if I find a car that looks promising.
  • Land Rover USA’s own search website is basically a joke.
  • Dealers in CA are laughably marking up any Defenders they do get in stock.

umbertob

Adventurer
If you have the VIN, you can go to JLR's TopiX and get the exact build sheet from the horse's mouth (except dealer installed accessories that would not show on the build sheet, of course.)

- Go to TopiX: https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix/vehicle/lookupForm (you may need to register as an "Independent operator" first, it's free)
- Enter the 17-digit VIN and click Find
- On the upper right screen that follows, click View All Vehicle Details (on a laptop or desktop - that feature doesn't work so well on my mobile phone, YMMV)
- Choose "Features" and "Minor Features" from the window that pops up to see / print the complete build sheet.

Last edited:

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
A dealer in NJ told me he will not have any Defender that has not got some sort of luxury trim/option. This, according to him, most likely involves the vehicles with the 2.0 engines and off-road packages.
In that region no body wants to drive a some sort of strip down, “utilitarian” Defender.
He said I could order one through the dealership, but without any clear time when I could get it.
(Not that I was gonna buy it anyway

My impression is that only areas that one can get the least luxurious and the most off-road worthy defenders would be the areas with some sort of an off-road / adventure traditions such as Denver, SF, Arizona and maybe Utah. There is sizable number of enthusiasts in these regions.

Corgi_express

Just got a chance to look at the topix website - it's frustrating that they only name individual features and not the packs. It's a lot easier to look for a single pack name that you know includes a few things. A lot of VIN lookup sites for other brands are a lot clearer and show you the actual window sticker.

I still wish there was a decent way to search unambiguously for specific features.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne