New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

JeepColorado

Ever since I took that Kia Soul picture (and the trolls took the bait), I've been wanting to do a whole series where I snap photos next to every vaguely square-ish vehicle on the market. Honda Element? You bet. Ford Edge? Oh Yeah! A 1996 Winnebago Rialta? If I can find one!

I think it's entirely fitting that the 1st post of the 200th page has Corgi calling someone a troll in it :)

catmann

If there are any questions on how the design came to be, they are answered here in this very interesting video posted by DonMitsu on the LandroverWorld forum - which shows the evolution from the first sketch to the final Defender.

Last edited:

T-Willy

If there are any questions on how the design came to be, they are answered here in this very interesting video posted by DonMitsu on the LandroverWorld forum - which shows the evolution from the first sketch to the final Defender.

All I hear while watching that video about designing the Sprockets Defender is this.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd

I only saw one guy in that video that has ever sleep in a tent or knows how to change a tire.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
They are making luxury vehicles, and want high volume sales. They are simply trading on the name.
I have a difficult time seeing much core difference between the LR4 and Defender.
That storage box blocking the rear window, the styling... gives the feeling of designers who have never offroaded, just doing a styling exercise.
It looks okay to me, a smaller LR4 with updated styling.

I look at the design process of the Ineos Grenadier and am genuinely excited and impressed by it.
That is a genuine Defender successor. The type of vehicle LR has completely abandoned.

The same goes for the Bronco. The focus and design are authentic and focused for the offroad.

Both are really exciting and feel like next level offroad products, advancing the production offroad suv.

Defender is really designed for the "softroading" crowd. 99% urban use.
Nothing wrong with that, it's a business decision.

The marketing of the Defender name, to create authenticity, is the biggest hurdle.
But then again, the target buyers won't care.

umbertob

Adventurer
The spartan, back-to-basics Ineos Grenadier will start at £50,000 according to the report below, that's about $65k, give or take. It may well be the genuine spiritual successor of the original Defender, but maybe not in the money department. I am starting to wonder if we'll ever even see it in North America anyway. At such prices, they'll be way too niche of a niche.

Carson G

They are making luxury vehicles, and want high volume sales. They are simply trading on the name.
I have a difficult time seeing much core difference between the LR4 and Defender.
That storage box blocking the rear window, the styling... gives the feeling of designers who have never offroaded, just doing a styling exercise.
It looks okay to me, a smaller LR4 with updated styling.

I look at the design process of the Ineos Grenadier and am genuinely excited and impressed by it.
That is a genuine Defender successor. The type of vehicle LR has completely abandoned.

The same goes for the Bronco. The focus and design are authentic and focused for the offroad.

Both are really exciting and feel like next level offroad products, advancing the production offroad suv.

Defender is really designed for the "softroading" crowd. 99% urban use.
Nothing wrong with that, it's a business decision.

The marketing of the Defender name, to create authenticity, is the biggest hurdle.
But then again, the target buyers won't care.
It’s bigger than a LR4. ?‍♂️ It’s taller, longer, and wider. The core differences is in off road capability and load capacities as well as interior design. There are also some key differences mechanically like stronger suspension bushings and larger diameter shocks. As well as the strongest axle shafts Land Rover has ever used. Not to mention the Defender has ip67 rated electronics inside and out. Oh and the fact it can fit 18” wheels and 35’s. But yeah it’s just a LR4.
Just like a Classic Defender is a RRC and a D1.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
My sister in law bought an LR3 new, and has driven it for over 200k miles. We were talking way back before the unveiling about the defender, when we expected it to look like a grenadier, and she was considering getting one since she loved the boxiness of her LR3 but didn't like anything newer.

Let's just say she wasn't the slightest bit impressed, and ended up with a volvo to replace it. Yup, completely different direction, but I think it's telling when someone would rather have a volvo than a defender.

Even the people that are interested ina "luxury suv" dont want it. I'm glad @corgi likes his though.

Blaise

narrator: he was not right.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The new Defender is really disappointing.
It's got the articulation of a 90 yr old with late stage degenerative joint disease.

Put hockey pucks on the Wrangler and you'll have the same issue. TFL wasn't exactly a source of truth before but now I just skip their off-roading videos. This was already stated earlier but they never actually try anything hard, its just clickbait.

Anyway, just got back from Montana. Turns out, IFS had such little articulation that I couldn't navigate forest service roads. My 32" tires got stuck in every pothole, and then the air suspension failed.

I tried to drive out but then all of my electronics failed. Some guy in a toyota saved me. Thank god.

...right. Another thousand+ mile trip down without an issue and 100% comfort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles