New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

DieselRanger

For some reason I read Trophy Trucks but processed Pro-4 in my head. Reading comprehension fail, my bad.

But if the vehicle is modded at all in the suspension or engine department or putting a bunch of torque down though a cv because it is at max GVWR and start throwing in high steer angles is when they blow up. Stock IFS not modded and not at max load is pretty durable. But I have wheeled with IFS and done enough rally and street stuff on performance FWD to feel pretty safe that CV's are always a weak point. One that can be managed for sure but every step you add heavy use or deviate from stock only makes the CV's that much more likely to be an issue. On a stock vehicle it will be fine. But all these dudes cranking up the ride height and fitting bigger tires will probably have the same issues everyone does eventually.

I run IFS so I am not a knee jerk hater.
How do we overland though? Are we driving at 8/10ths and above the whole time? No, we are cruising 90% of the time, enjoying the scenery, occasionally tackling obstacles at low velocity, stopping frequently. I just think the video pushing the idea that the Bronco Is Bad For Overlanding Because IFS continues to push the un-deserved notion that independent suspension is bad for off-roading, m'kay. Many serious overlanders rely on independent suspension every day around the world - and it's not failures in the suspension parts that strand them. Just like anything, if you pay attention to your rig and perform required maintenance before things get too bad, you'll be fine.

DieselRanger

For some reason I read Trophy Trucks but processed Pro-4 in my head. Reading comprehension fail, my bad.
Trophy trucks run SCORE in the Unlimited class with the production Raptor I think - the Raptor went into the Unlimited class because of forced-induction displacement that put them over the Mini class. But yes, Trophy trucks are effectively NASCAR on dirt - the only thing Trophy Trucks have in common with production trucks is a vague similarity in shape.

roving1

How do we overland though? Are we driving at 8/10ths and above the whole time? No, we are cruising 90% of the time, enjoying the scenery, occasionally tackling obstacles at low velocity, stopping frequently. I just think the video pushing the idea that the Bronco Is Bad For Overlanding Because IFS continues to push the un-deserved notion that independent suspension is bad for off-roading, m'kay. Many serious overlanders rely on independent suspension every day around the world - and it's not failures in the suspension parts that strand them. Just like anything, if you pay attention to your rig and perform required maintenance before things get too bad, you'll be fine.

I still would not lable it a strong positive attribute. Just like the ride and suspension tuning and steering feel is generally better in an IFS than for a solid axle. I would not say the lack of those things in a solid axle is a positive attribute either despite being good enough. It's all relative.

DieselRanger

I still would not lable it a strong positive attribute. Just like the ride and suspension tuning and steering feel is generally better in an IFS than for a solid axle. I would not say the lack of those things in a solid axle is a positive attribute either despite being good enough. It's all relative.
I think people can prefer what they prefer and that's great. But the march of technology is never-ceasing - metallurgy, engineering, production all benefit. There will come a day when we look at beam axle suspension the same way we look at leaf springs. Yes, I know that some people still swear by leaf springs ("I'm a Master Wainright! I don't need no new-fangled curly-cue spring, and that balloon suspension is somewhere between a party trick and black magic! I just need a hammer, a strong rock, and a good faaar and I can fix my rig anywhaaar! Aaaaahm the best overlander west of the Pecos.")

To borrow a phrase, everything is amazing and nobody is happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles