New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Targeting the "international market" doesn't require you to ignore your customer base. I can't get over how the new Defender now looks like a Honda Element. I get that it is more capable but ...

JeepColorado

Would you just shut up with this nonsense, you Jeep worshipping fanboy troll? I've never owned a LR in my life, I just think you're spouting a lot of BS.

The new Bronco is cool. I like it. It also looks like a freaking Tonka Truck toy. It's a toy that I would enjoy playing with, but if you think it sets an example for what the Defender could have been, you're utterly delusional and are letting the voices of Americans who obsess over toys cloud your judgement when the Defender is targeting an international market.

No need for the name calling or telling me to shut up Corgi. I'd love to see you refute what I'm saying with actual facts or at least reasonable opinions based on facts. I think the way that the Bronco captures the spirit of the original was the way to go- people LOVE that stuff- enthusiasts can't buy enough of them and those who are merely interested get drawn to the excitement. All of those sales attracts the aftermarket....all of this snowballs and builds on each other driving tremendous sales. Sales LR desperately needs.

Gerry McGovern has stated that without question the new Defender is a departure from the original- I believe that was a tremendous mistake. To produce a vehicle that is in essence just an evolution of the D5 instead of a revolution by bringing something truly unique (like the Grenadier) was the way to go.

Let's take the Defender out of this since it's clear you are getting very emotional in your responses. Let's think about the Bronco- what if, instead of doing what they did, what if they had redesigned the Everest like many speculated they would?

Do you think there would be enthusiasts going crazy, magazine articles fawning all over it, entire forums dedicated solely to it in the way there is now?

EricTyrrell

Expo God
I showed my five year old son the new Defender a few days ago and asked what he thought. "Look dad! It's like mom's MINI Cooper!"

Carson G

Y’all are utterly clueless. JLR has true utilitarian workhorse in the pipeline. If you guys were true LR enthusiasts you would have realized this. The picture I posted previously is a pretty solid hint at what I’m talking about.

JeepColorado

yes I am Trolling to get this thread to 200. I have not Suffered through this only to fall short.
View attachment 600120View attachment 600121

This post has so much truth in it! It is really obvious, once you see the differences as the Grenadier and the Bronco have come out- the "new" Defender doesn't even appear to be the spiritual successor, let alone an actual resurrection. You have to squint to see any real resemblance. This was a choice and a it hasn't taken long to show that it was a bad one.

I do hope they put out a more aggressive version as some on here have said would happen- it'd be great to see it come back the right direction. That red 110 on the right looks so much better!

JeepColorado

To be fair it could be worse. View attachment 600122

What Chevy did to the K5 Blazer is the only redesign of an Iconic 4x4 that I can think of that's worse than what LR did to the Defender nameplate. Even with the phenomenal Colorado Bison/AEV collaboration- Chevy should hear from the 4x4 enthusiast community about how terrible this decision was. My only hope is that they are withholding the K5 name for something really cool. They can't be happy to see the Bronco get so much praise.

JeepColorado

I don't speak Spanish but this video has some great off-road comparisons of the G-Wagon and the Defender- time and again, lockers win. 19:41 shows the G-Wagon pull the Defender up a hill and then the Defender tries the same

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles