New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

85_Ranger4x4

If Ineos is breaking the support model I would like to see local support at the local Ag/OTR dealer. That would fit with the Grenadier's customer profile. International offered the Scout at the local farm and truck dealer. Parts was open 24/7. I can think of a few companies that would be ideal for that support model.

Mahindra does this with their Roxor and was proposing to do it when they were threatening to bring their midsize truck to the states.

I deal with parts in the ag world. I HATE dealing with overseas products abandoned by their homeland enough for it to give me the heebie jeebies with a personal vehicle. Nobody here knows anything about it, nobody over their can talk to me and whatever it is it is a slow leaky boatride to get anything here.

Computer translated manuals are a hoot too...

Ineos is English so at least somebody over there could probably talk to me at least if they don't fold up and blow away in the wind after 5 years.

Last edited:

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
International offered the Scout at the local farm and truck dealer. Parts was open 24/7.

This sounds interesting.
Maybe Ineos and John Deere should team up? ? You know... since the Grenadier has that kinda country / farmish character too.

DieselRanger

I have developed a solution........... buy them all. ?
But not the Blazer. Chevy should be punished for that.
This sounds interesting.
Maybe Ineos and John Deere should team up? ? You know... since the Grenadier has that kinda country / farmish character too.
Would expect Ineos to try to ink a deal with BMW since they're supposedly sourcing motors from them - but I'll bet Land Rover is trying to head that one off at the pass.

Red90

Adventurer
The problem with that so far IMO is distribution.

Where are the dealers at? How do you get parts? How do you find someone that knows anything about it?

Building a car is one thing. Supporting a car is another thing.

The building part... according to the stuff on youtube looks good. The supporting part I haven't seen much about yet.

That said in my area Land Rover is pretty much non-existant for technical support too.

They are probably going to sell and support with BMW.

ChasingOurTrunks

The smart move for Ineos would be to rely on an “interchange” design for common wear and failure parts.

I know the Axle housings are made in Europe somewhere, but imagine how handy it would be if things like CVs, bearings, and hubs are swappable with, say, Toyota Land Cruiser parts?

It’s not uncommon - I ride a Triumph motorbike, but my last few front sprockets have been from the local Suzuki dealer for the Vstrom (cheaper!), the brake reservoir gasket are interchangeable with Honda part numbers (more available), etc. If Ineos makes a similar design choice it will be a boon to its international parts availability.

Carson G

The smart move for Ineos would be to rely on an “interchange” design for common wear and failure parts.

I know the Axle housings are made in Europe somewhere, but imagine how handy it would be if things like CVs, bearings, and hubs are swappable with, say, Toyota Land Cruiser parts?

It’s not uncommon - I ride a Triumph motorbike, but my last few front sprockets have been from the local Suzuki dealer for the Vstrom (cheaper!), the brake reservoir gasket are interchangeable with Honda part numbers (more available), etc. If Ineos makes a similar design choice it will be a boon to its international parts availability.
It probably has a lot of G wagon parts.

JeepColorado

More Defender issues from this guy-

- 360 camera
- Emergency steering and brake assist
- Lost power steering

The "I Love Gerry McGovern" sign is interesting

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Okay 19 more pages. Can’t let this die! Angry Bird eyes suck on a Jeep, but at least you don’t have to buy them or you can take them off and put them in the trash where they belong. Why on earth did Land Rover make them Standard equipment!

JeepColorado

Actually I think the Bronco release killed this discussion. The Bronco highlights what the Defender could have been. The ball is now in Grenadiers court.

Completely agree! The Bronco has made it so clear where LR went wrong with their styling and overall spirit of the vehicle. It's what so many of us have been saying on here and now there's another vehicle to point at and say- "see....this is the way LR should have gone"

One of the many excuses that have been on here for what LR did- "they need to build a vehicle that appeals to a wider base" OR "they can't build a speciality vehicle like the G-Wagon- they need something that will sell more because they need cash" ....Take a look at the press the Bronco has gotten in the last 2 weeks- the reception has been nothing less than ecstatic. They sold out of first editions within days. They'll sell 100,000 annually I bet- some of that coming from Jeep customers.

LR Faithful- Who do you think the Defender is stealing sales away from? ....just other LR products. The same person that bought the D5 will buy the Defender, but the person who went G-Wagon or Sahara Wrangler over the D5- isn't coming to the Defender.

There's a great story about the Jeep Rubicon and how the bean counters said there wasn't a market for a Jeep that costs that much- that enthusiasts wouldn't follow Jeep up the price scale. They estimated that it'd sell 3,500 annually at most. Thankfully, the Jeep corporation has enough enthusiasts who truly love the 4x4 that those people in corporations who lack courage were overruled. Jeep decided to be bold and sold 8,000 Rubicons in pre-order alone. Now it's one of the most iconic and possibly the most capable production 4x4's ever made.

When you look at the Defender do you honestly think there's a story like that lurking somewhere in the hallways of LR? ....or do you think those who lacked courage to do something bold won out? ....I know who won with the Jeep Rubicon....it's pretty clear who won at Ford, unfortunately it's also clear who won at LR.

Corgi_express

LR Faithful

Would you just shut up with this nonsense, you Jeep worshipping fanboy troll? I've never owned a LR in my life, I just think you're spouting a lot of BS.

The new Bronco is cool. I like it. It also looks like a freaking Tonka Truck toy. It's a toy that I would enjoy playing with, but if you think it sets an example for what the Defender could have been, you're utterly delusional and are letting the voices of Americans who obsess over toys cloud your judgement when the Defender is targeting an international market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94