New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

JeepColorado

?‍♂️ I was thinking about a 90 or Gladiator to relapse my LR3...

Now I am going to wait for a 2 door Bronco as it will do what.

I need My 4x4 do to do this.
View attachment 598563

back to Defender hate. Imagine if Gerry had made a real modern copy of the old Defender clip like Ford did with the Bronco. It would have made them a lot of money... I still hope this one will, but I will not be buying any more Land Rovers... Hell My wife who is a Die Hard Green Oval fan said She will get a GX460 instead of a New Discovery. She just dose not like the new design language..

My wife is the same- she loved the LR3 and LR4....can't stand the new stuff. We saw a Defender on I-70 outside of Denver the other day and she said it looks worse in person. That front end is just hideous. Honestly, they could have kept everything else the same, all the tech etc... and just a more "Bronco" type of take on the design would have sold them more.

LIke you, I hope they do well. All of the 4x4 pundits on youtube and in magazine articles are comparing Bronco to Wrangler to 4Runner..... no one's mentioning the Defender. It didn't take them long to be forgotten by a large market. Had they done a more retro-style I think they would have killed it- even with all of the concerns about reliability

Red90

Adventurer
I was thinking about a 90 or Gladiator to relapse my LR3...

Now I am going to wait for a 2 door Bronco...

Yep. You’d be crazy to spend 50% more for a vehicle that is worse. I really can’t see how anyone planning off road use would purposely choose the new Defender.

Carson G

IMO you can never have too much payload especially if said vehicle is a daily. I’ve gotten really close to my max payload on the Disco 3. Which is like 1600-1800lbs IIRC.

Carson G

Yep. You’d be crazy to spend 50% more for a vehicle that is worse. I really can’t see how anyone planning off road use would purposely choose the new Defender.
If I was purely going to use it off road I would buy a Jeep. As a off road vehicle and daily without towing I’d buy the Bronco. If I wanted a off road vehicle as a daily that could tow I’d buy the Defender. I also wouldn’t buy any of them new and I have a feeling they will be a lot closer second hand price wise.

Red90

Adventurer
IMO you can never have too much payload especially if said vehicle is a daily. I’ve gotten really close to my max payload on the Disco 3. Which is like 1600-1800lbs IIRC.

You are in the wrong forum. Get a 1 ton and head over to the full sized section.

Carson G

The 1370 pounds quoted earlier as being the Bronco payload. That is a lot of capacity. I’m nowhere near that with my 110 fully packed and I can do 1100 miles between refueling.
What’s your MPG? What size tires do you have? Do you have a bull bar and winch and a roof rack also how many people do you carry?
A Disco 3 with 4 adults a ARB bumper and winch as well as a roof rack, rock sliders, rear bumper with full size spare, and full tank of fuel is pretty close to 1,600lbs. That’s with no clothes food or water and no roof top tent. If you’re traveling solo in your vehicle 1,370 is fine however more payload is always nice to have. It’s always better to have more than enough than not enough. A Bronco at full payload will not be near as happy as a Defender at half payload.

T-Willy

You are in the wrong forum. Get a 1 ton and head over to the full sized section.

Well, in case it's not obvious, this forum is about Defender, and Defender has a one-ton payload.

One ton touring wagons aren't novel--Land Cruiser 70s, D110s, new Defender, and early 80 series all come in just above or below the one ton mark. Grenadier is aiming north of a ton. This is not because people are dumb or excessive; it is because people need and use those capacities. I regularly use my 80 within a few hundred pounds of capacity while remote touring (water, humans, food, fuel), and our gear system is pretty tight and light. I would much rather run rough country with a few hundred pounds of freeboard than do so at or over the weight capacities around which all of the vehicle's systems were designed.

Carson G

Well, in case it's not obvious, this forum is about Defender, and Defender has a one-ton payload.

One ton touring wagons aren't novel--Land Cruiser 70s, D110s, new Defender, and early 80 series all come in just above or below the one ton mark. Grenadier is aiming north of a ton. This is not because people are dumb or excessive; it is because people need and use those capacities. I regularly use my 80 within a few hundred pounds of capacity while remote touring (water, humans, food, fuel), and our gear system is pretty tight and light. I would much rather run rough country with a few hundred pounds of freeboard than do so at or over the weight capacities around which all of the vehicle's systems were designed.
Exactly the idea is to be well under not right on the line. Four adults is around 800lbs, a winch and roof rack is an additional 150-200lbs. Rock sliders are 100-200lbs a Roof top tent is 85-150lbs full tank of fuel is 120ish pounds. That little bit could be up to 1,470lbs. That’s assuming you don’t put bigger tires on it or carry food, clothes, water.

after reading through this thread...haters gonna hate hahaha

I have a YJ on Rough Country, Powerwagon on 3.0 Kings, had a 12JKU sahara on 35s and 16JKU Rubi on 37s.
Everyone wants to talk about reliability but its a numbers game. There are trail fixes for the air bags for die hards. Its overpriced, but worth it. So were some of the other low quantity vehicles i had.

Just picked up the defender. Has better road manners comparatively in its class then my S6, Hellcat, BMW x5 50i and 335i did. The airbags are just right. For an OVERLAND vehicle, they have the payload and carrying capacity necessary, and the road manner and articulation extremes necessary. So why Not?
Taking things slow will be necessary. I can Mob anything in the powerwagon, but i know thats not what this Defender is for.
My wife is 30 weeks pregnant and this is her mom mobile. ITS PERFECT.( i expect a dealer visit or two)(pretty sure every LR buyer does at this point)
We will put on 32/33s with adjustable lift links to give it just a tad more height on average.
Roof rack, side storage, step bars were overpriced dealer add-ons but wanted them anyways.

if you want it, buy it.
if you dont, continue hating.

Bronco and wrangler payloads and towing are laughable.

maybe ill trade the powerwagon if either gets REAL AXLES and v8s(boosted) Right now, the TRX would be my only option.

The defender was done right no matter what anyone says. Pretty sure the 90 can be had with coils for die hards, but the air bags allow the ride height adjustments.
Cant make everyone happy.
IMG_1257-min.JPEGIMG_1258-min.JPEGIMG_1259-min.JPEGIMG_1260-min.JPEGIMG_1261-min.JPEG

Howski

No disrespect but the photos you show only restate how it was done incorrectly. Tried to convince myself to like it but with the Bronco release I realize what a turd it is. Holier than thou Magovern botched the design along with place in the market. It could’ve struck a middle ground, more refined than the Bronco, but it’s ultimately too close to other LR offerings in reality. I’d opt for RR or RRS over new Defender and if I needed significant off road capability look outside the brand.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
@TrailWhalePowerwagon
A bunch of what you say is good and spot on. It is a well built truck and has a bunch of touring tough attribute. if Gerry hadn’t just given it a butterface, there wouldBe a whole lot less bellyaching Be a whole lot less bellyaching. The new defenders face is its biggest shortcoming. Ford jeep and Mercedes has done a great jobs of giving the market Modern classics. Land Rover just gave us a butch Dicso.
Drive what you love. I love Tjs, Disco1 and, the EB. So for me the New Bronco is spot on. And the Market has shown the Modern update Of classics designs sell well.

Corgi_express

I am so sick of people moaning about the front end of the Defender. Rounded front ends improve aerodynamics AND pedestrian safety - they helped make sure the Defender will be sold all over the world, passing safety and fuel economy restrictions that are much harder to hit than those in the US.

The Bronco will be sold in a handful of markets, so was much easier to slap a boxy frontend on.

But yet again, all of you "Gerry puts form over function" people are constantly whining that you don't like the form of the new Defender, even though that form helps serve some very real functional requirements. So is function only important when it's the function you personally care about, or is there a chance that engineers know more about how to build a car for their target markets than a handful of armchair experts vomiting their opinions onto some forums?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier