New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

Carson G

Bill is a big LR fan and has been driving them/training Offroad driving in them for decades. The smallest rim is 18” and the largest tire is 31”, I believe. Please correct me if I’m wrong. Honestly, you can’t wheel in Moab with 18” rims/31” tires. Setting aside the fact that you need 12” of clearance, which the Defender comes nowhere close to achieving, the profile of those tires is way too high and you can’t air down to crawl over most Moab rocks. You couldn’t drag the new defender over Poison Spyder or Steel Bender, let alone some of the more challenging trails.
18’s with a full 32.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Like it or not but LR began moving away from the 4WD community with the last years of the LR4, when they dropped 2-speed xfer cases. I'm not surprised that the first lots of Defenders are loaded with luxury options, targeting the yuppy buyer. The Evoque was a fashion statement and telegraphed the future.

Corgi_express

Like it or not but LR began moving away from the 4WD community

Except for the fact that this situation has absolutely nothing to do with LR, and caused by the decisions of independently owned dealerships.

JLR made something for the 4WD community, regardless of what a minority of haters say on the internet. The dealers just know that lots of other people are going to want these too, and many of those people are luxury buyers who want air conditioning for their crotches.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
If you think LR didn't participate in the seeding of the NA market through what product was delivered, you are being really really naive.

There is a reason LR Colorado Springs is located in zip code 80906 .................... The Broadmoor".......
Real Estate Prices and Overview
Broadmoor median real estate price is $885,565, which is more expensive than 92.9% of the neighborhoods in Colorado and 93.7% of the neighborhoods in the U.S.
The average rental price in Broadmoor is currently $2,276, based on NeighborhoodScout's exclusive analysis. The average rental cost in this neighborhood is higher than 82.8% of the neighborhoods in Colorado.....
."

Carson G

Like it or not but LR began moving away from the 4WD community with the last years of the LR4, when they dropped 2-speed xfer cases. I'm not surprised that the first lots of Defenders are loaded with luxury options, targeting the yuppy buyer. The Evoque was a fashion statement and telegraphed the future.
The LR4 still had the two speed as a option in the US and Canada. Everywhere else got it as standard IIRC.

It’s a JLRNA problem not a JLR As a whole problem. It’s just like the diesel and other utilitarian options.

jaamrode

I’ve wheeled my LR3 with 18’s and 31 in tires never once did I bottom out. Hells revenge Kane Creek. Not doing much more than that because I have to drive it home. I wouldn’t do much more in any vehicle I have to drive back home.

But I understand you need lots of clearance in Moab. You might want to tell this guy that.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have 18's w/ 33 tires on my 07 LR and it does get higher (more clearance) with the touch of a button. Can't see why there are so many complaints about the new Defenders. If you don't like them don't buy them.

DieselRanger

Bill is a big LR fan and has been driving them/training Offroad driving in them for decades. The smallest rim is 18” and the largest tire is 31”, I believe. Please correct me if I’m wrong. Honestly, you can’t wheel in Moab with 18” rims/31” tires. Setting aside the fact that you need 12” of clearance, which the Defender comes nowhere close to achieving, the profile of those tires is way too high and you can’t air down to crawl over most Moab rocks. You couldn’t drag the new defender over Poison Spyder or Steel Bender, let alone some of the more challenging trails.
Well, nobody told Land Rover - they have been wheeling in Moab for years on 20"-22" rims and 55 or 45 series street tires on full-fat Range Rovers, RRS's, LR4s and Discoverys.

Poison Spider, Hell's Revenge, Fins n Things are all on their itinerary.

You could drive slickrock on racing slicks if you wanted to.

Last edited:

DieselRanger

If you think LR didn't participate in the seeding of the NA market through what product was delivered, you are being really really naive.

There is a reason LR Colorado Springs is located in zip code 80906 .................... The Broadmoor".......
Real Estate Prices and Overview
Broadmoor median real estate price is $885,565, which is more expensive than 92.9% of the neighborhoods in Colorado and 93.7% of the neighborhoods in the U.S.
The average rental price in Broadmoor is currently $2,276, based on NeighborhoodScout's exclusive analysis. The average rental cost in this neighborhood is higher than 82.8% of the neighborhoods in Colorado.....
."
It's located in Motor City, literally one block up from the Ford dealer, which is also within a one mile radius of Porsche, Volkswsgen, Hyundai, Chevy, Honda, Volvo, MB, Jeep, Acura, ...

Corgi_express

Man, look at that uppity rich person's neighborhood, with all those bougie businesses like... checks notes Walmart, Chevy, Ford, GMC Preowned, Discount Tire, and Budget Car Rental.

Just stop, you're embarrassing yourself.

mapz.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior