New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

T-Willy

Ineso Grenadier
The vehicle that will carry on the rugged tradition of the 110 Land Rover.

The Grenadaier concept really is refreshing. So many new and upcoming touring wagon possibilities -- Defender, Bronco, Grenadier, Tahoe ZR2, maybe a back-to-basics Land Cruiser 300... What a nice addition to everyone trying for so long to make their own version of a Subaru Crosstrek. Edit: And JLU - didn't mean to leave that out... Diesel sport being particularly interesting to me.

Last edited:

Blaise

YUP. This is all excellent news - no matter the brand name on the front. I'm thrilled that there are so many options! When I did my big trip in '15 the options were essentially Wrangler, 4Runner, Rover, and Xterra. Now we have a new Wrangler, a new Rover, ZR2, bronco (soon), and maybe one day yota will update their truck ;)

DieselRanger

The Grenadaier concept really is refreshing. So many new and upcoming touring wagon possibilities -- Defender, Bronco, Grenadier, Tahoe ZR2, maybe a back-to-basics Land Cruiser 300... What a nice addition to everyone trying for so long to make their own version of a Subaru Crosstrek. Edit: And JLU - didn't mean to leave that out... Diesel sport being particularly interesting to me.
I'm interested to see if Rivian can live up to their range promises and if their price stays on the same order of magnitude. If both remain as promised, there would be a compelling EV option to this group as well. Not going to take it on a 1,000 mile Mongolia traverse, but a weekend in the Four Corners would be completely doable, and price-competitive with A Defender / RRS / Discovery.

Carson G

Demonstrating what anyone with any sense knew months ago..

Demonstrating what exactly? That it’s close in terms of size and layout to the D4 which is one of Land Rovers most popular over landing platforms. The 130 will fix the cargo space “problem” if that’s what your trying to say.

soflorovers

Demonstrating what anyone with any sense knew months ago..

I saw this video (and Doug DeMuro's) last night. I can't in good faith deny that the new Defender is more similar in architecture and overall proportions to a LR3/4 than the old Defender. However, I still think the new Defender is an excellent car. Is it a real Defender? That's for you to decide. Personally, I think it's a proper Defender since LR has actively gone to great lengths to make this a suitable 21st century replacement for the old Defender. I know the styling isn't for everyone, but I still maintain that the current design would be universally accepted if it were the 3rd/4th redesign (Which is what it should be if LR had actually updated this along the same path as say Porsche did with their 911).

While DeMuro isn't exactly the end-all for vehicles, his interior review of the New Defender really impressed me. I love the non-carpeted floors and the modular nature of the interior setup/layout. I'm also very impressed that LR went out of their way to design the electronics to meet the IP67 water immersion standard (30 min to 1 hr of waterproof - depends on source); that's a far cry from P38 ecu's that would crap out as soon as they even thought about water. So is this a "Real" Defender? Yes, much like a 992 is a real 911, even though the 992 shares far more in common (visually and mechanically) with a last generation Panamera than a "real 911" 930/964.

Blaise

Demonstrating what exactly? That it’s close in terms of size and layout to the D4 which is one of Land Rovers most popular over landing platforms. The 130 will fix the cargo space “problem” if that’s what your trying to say.

He's saying he hates it and will continue to hate it for the sake of hating it. As usual, folks on the internet think they know better than the folks who actually design/build/market/sell these things. I work in R&D... it's hilarious looking from inside out.

YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO TO FIX IT WITH A LEATHERMAN lol
YOU CANT GO ANYWHERE WITHOUT SOLID AXLES
ITS NOT A REAL DEFENDER

Why aren't these same people writing a physical letter and sending it with a stamp to rant to the editor? Oh, right. The internet. Progress. Technology. Things you can't fix with a leatherman.

Blaise

OK - I kinda do hate this. Watching the doug demuro vid... why in the hell are the US spec cars using red turn signals? The Range Rovers have orange...

Anyone know what option/model you need to get the all-black steering wheel?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles