New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

Corgi_express

I kind of feel for the LR guys on here- Jeep just continues to innovate;

The level of cognitive dissonance required to spend 135 pages of a thread arguing that Jeep is better because it still uses the same simple systems from twenty+ years ago, and does not have all these fancy new modern gizmos, and then call it innovative, is truly breathtaking.

DorB

Adventurer
I kind of feel for the LR guys on here- Jeep just continues to innovate;
I think it’s the opposite.
The new Defender is what it is because LR continue to evolve and take innovative approach, and Jeep is the conservative, with minor changes.

How many year it took Jeep to adopt the coil suspension?
LR were there long time before.
The huge leap from disco-2 old school mechanic into Disco 3-4, the RR and same time still invest in trying to keep off road ability.

You can debate on the quality of the results, but as I see it, LR is much more innovative then Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JeepColorado

I think it’s the opposite.
The new Defender is what it is because LR continue to evolve and take innovative approach, and Jeep is the conservative, with minor changes.

How many year it took Jeep to adopt the coil suspension?
LR were there long time before.
The huge leap from disco-2 old school mechanic into Disco 3-4, the RR and same time still invest in trying to keep off road ability.

You can debate on the quality of the results, but as I see it, LR is much more innovative then Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree with you- The statement about Jeep innovating is within the context of putting off-road first, unlike LR who innovates, yes, but does not prioritize off-road ability. Jeep stays true to it's core- the Mojave is a great example of that- it probably rides better than any Wrangler ever- is Jeep's first foray into "go-fast" off-road, but it's solid axles all the way.

At Jeep it's Off-road then luxury-ish

LR it's Luxury then Off-road-ish

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
If Jeep is the only company building suspensions right, that counts as innovation. Innovation can be a revolutionary change, by using something classic.

LR should have kept the solid axles on the defender. I can get Bronco or 4runner soon, for a fraction of the cost.

All Jeep needs is to add an engine worth opening the hood to look at. That's the only innovation they need. A nice little small block v8 should do the trick.
5a5511a7f5c604ea5dcee3b9cfe40a65.jpg

Corgi_express

I agree with you- The statement about Jeep innovating is within the context of putting off-road first

While Jeep certainly prioritizes off road above everything (to a fault, IMO), that does not equal innovation. Throwing the same shocks people would use in the aftermarket, and a few parts made from thicker metal on a truck that itself is a stretched out Wrangler is not innovative.

It’s totally your prerogative to feel nostalgic for simpler times with simpler trucks, but calling that innovation is absurd.

JeepColorado

If Jeep is the only company building suspensions right, that counts as innovation. Innovation can be a revolutionary change, by using something classic.

LR should have kept the solid axles on the defender. I can get Bronco or 4runner soon, for a fraction of the cost.

All Jeep needs is to add an engine worth opening the hood to look at. That's the only innovation they need. A nice little small block v8 should do the trick.
5a5511a7f5c604ea5dcee3b9cfe40a65.jpg

Completely Agree!- The interior on the new JL is as nice as you could ever really want in anything your actually going to use off-road. The driving dynamics are significantly improved- if Jeep would just get an engine with some get up and go! The 2.0 Turbo is adequate and I'm sure the diesel will be good, but man I'd love a 5.7 Hemi in it!

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Classic charm and Character Are pretty important To me anyway. It’s the biggest short coming I have found in my LR3 coming from Jeep and Disco ones (that and how much Maintenance Costs) The lack of character of my LR3 is a big part of what made me regret the purchase. The truck has done anything I have wanted it to do and for sure is by far the nicest truck I have ever owned as far a options and the like. But it’s not anymore fun to drive than our back up 01 Tahoe.

That said I’m sure the Defender will be a different game and some day I would at least like to look into the possibility of getting the new 90. That or a TJU.

Last edited:

JeepColorado

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94