New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

REDROVER

Explorer
I understand they are not rivals, I am trying to compare as far as work horse factor, but when it comes down to off road capabilities defender will outperform pretty much 90% of the vehicles currently on sale.

And that fact that the seating position is belt line, it already outperformed 100 % of the vehicles currently for sale intended for off road use.

Last edited:

JackW

Explorer
I admit a few times my eyes were bigger than my stomach and after I dove into a few project I decided they were more than I wanted to bite off.

And there is where experience comes in... which sometimes you get by diving in when you really shouldn't. I've bought many projects where once you get them home you realize it's a lot more work than you anticipated and you're not in love with it - or some other shiny bauble comes along that's much more appealing. But all of that can be fun. There are a few cars I'm my past that I look back on and don't understand what in the hell was I thinking when I bought that?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
And there is where experience comes in... which sometimes you get by diving in when you really shouldn't. I've bought many projects where once you get them home you realize it's a lot more work than you anticipated and you're not in love with it - or some other shiny bauble comes along that's much more appealing. But all of that can be fun. There are a few cars I'm my past that I look back on and don't understand what in the hell was I thinking when I bought that?
Yeah, I never leaned that lesson... haha. I'm sure I bought several cars that were more than I could chew / beyond saving. 2 of them I never even bothered to bring home.
And I'm very guilty of....ohhhh Shiny! Look at that!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Also had a couple vehicles that turned out to be lemons. So they had a short shelf life for me. Bought a Buick LeSabre off a mechanic and it burned to the ground the next day when I was driving home from work. The worst lemons were a 1991 80 series Land Cruiser, 2003 Nissan Xterra SC and a 2000 Jeep TJ. No brand loyalty here!

JackW

Explorer
Yeah I bought a Peugeot 504 once for $125 because I hadn't owned a Peugeot before. It supposedly had an electrical issue causing it not to run. Well if you can call a rod through the side of the block underneath the exhaust manifold an electrical problem....

I sold the nearly new tires and battery to a friend of mine for $125 and called the local Peugeot shop and asked them if they wanted a free parts car. I still don't know why I thought I needed that car.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Yeah I bought a Peugeot 504 once for $125 because I hadn't owned a Peugeot before. It supposedly had an electrical issue causing it not to run. Well if you can call a rod through the side of the block underneath the exhaust manifold an electrical problem....

I sold the nearly new tires and battery to a friend of mine for $125 and called the local Peugeot shop and asked them if they wanted a free parts car. I still don't know why I thought I needed that car.
I get that. Too many times I bought a car cause I was surprised I could find a particular year / model of a project in my price range.

What? a '64 Riviera in my price range? A '62 Impala SS? Yes please! Wow...that a great deal on that Jag!

Of course, I never question why they were in my price range..... ?

calicamper

Expedition Leader

I had a 82 505 TD 5 spd.
Never had any issues with it. I’m pretty sure a 4 door 5 passenger Case farm tractor would have been the 505 TD. Heavy, tank of a car that climbed over parking blocks at idle. I ran that car 5 yrs put 30,000 miles on it sold it for the same price I bought it for. Only other car I’ve sold for the same as my purchase price after many yrs was my 93 J80 only that thing cost me 20x the Peugeot to keep running.

DieselRanger

The best adventure vehicles I have ever driver were Sedan‘s rented from Enterprise. I have driven them into the Wind River and the Bugaboos. It doesn’t mater what you driver at some point the the road runs out and you have to start Hoofing it. But most of my Adventures are climbing related. ?‍♂️
The new defender will be a great vehicle.
The fastest car in the world is always a rental.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I have no skin in this game. Just wondering where all the private owner new Defender reviews are? Have they not started delivery yet? When will they start to deliver?

I'm sure it was mentioned somewhere in these 126 pages, but I have not read them all yet.

Corgi_express

thats a jeep being pushed..

utzTCyo.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles