New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

nickw

Adventurer
270K miles on it when it went to its next owner, original engine, never had to do head gaskets, only thing that ever required it going on a tow truck was when the starter died. Even then, I could have bump started it (5 speed) and driven it to the repair shop. It had much less rust (next to none) and a much cleaner interior than any of the high mileage 100 Series trucks I've seen for sale.
I don't know where all these sweeping generalizations come from - More than 80% of land rovers end up in the junkyard before they hit 120.000 miles - me thinks someone's hooked on the Fox "Fake News" channel. This thread definitely provides entertainment while I'm in self-isolation. Flame away lads!
View attachment 576312
No flaming here - awesome truck.

nickw

Adventurer
It’s a shame
That you compare Land Rover product ( specifically a vehicle that is not even being sold yet to Toyota 100series.

Scots opinion is his opinion
World thinks it the other way around.

just a shame to compare Land Rover to Toyota Land Cruiser.
Average 100 series has 220.000 miles and still going extra strong and selling way more than junk Rover.
More than 80% of land rovers end up in the junkyard before they hit 120.000 miles

I can’t wait to see the crossover defender on top of the tow trucks, and it’s coming.
So you guys can keep it shut.
So you don't agree with JDP - that's fine, but it is data.

You can't just make up numbers and use them to prove your point....

Username....doesn't check out :)

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Let me refresh your memory about lovely discovery 2 that didn’t last 40,000 miles or let me refresh your memory about the classic range rovers disastrous quality or perhaps you forgot the P 38 or 2003 2004 Range Rover’s with terrible bmw motors.

Perhaps you also need to know vast majority of Southern California Land Rover club guys now drive different make up vehicles.
OK, P38, my P38 had over 225K miles when I passed it on to a new owner. It saw the tow truck a couple of times, first during my first week of ownership, compressor was tired and dropped it to bump stops. Got a new compressor and an EAS buddy box and never had that issue again. Traveled all over Eastern Canada without a problem. It was a great ruck and very comfortable to drive. At just over 300,000 kms the water pump gave out. My fault, that should have been replaced it as part of preventive maintenance before that. My wife had two RRC and loved them both. To each their own. I have a 1998 D1 and a 2014 4Runner, best of both worlds.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Agreed, my 98 D1 has been a great truck ..... for a LR owner. Not sure that's true for the general populace who were really looking for a SUV. The D1 leaks oil and power steering fluid and did need the usual brakes, cv's, starter, fuel pump, radiator clean out and a tranny rebuild over it's 170K miles.

Would I consider a LR again? Sure, once they address the power train debacle of the NA products.

REDROVER

Explorer
Ha ha ha I like you man you’re a funny guy ,

So what I say is I come up with numbers but when you guys compare vehicle that is not even out To a vehicle that is proven for past 12 years all over the world it’s ridiculous

Can you find individual LAND ROVER‘s with 250,000 miles yes you can, What about majority of them?

about four weeks ago we took a trip to old Mojave Road 11 vehicles only one was Land Rover p38 and that vehicle broke down twice

And yes the owner is a LAND ROVER enthusiast and he maintains his vehicle extra well

DieselRanger

Ha ha ha I like you man you’re a funny guy ,

So what I say is I come up with numbers but when you guys compare vehicle that is not even out To a vehicle that is proven for past 12 years all over the world it’s ridiculous

Can you find individual LAND ROVER‘s with 250,000 miles yes you can, What about majority of them?

about four weeks ago we took a trip to old Mojave Road 11 vehicles only one was Land Rover p38 and that vehicle broke down twice

And yes the owner is a LAND ROVER enthusiast and he maintains his vehicle extra well
What vehicle can you find where the majority of them are on the road - or trail - after 250,000 miles? Sure as ******** it ain't Jeep or Yota, not is it Ford or Chevy or Ram or ************** Mahindra. It ain't even Hyundai, Subaru, or Volvo.

Jesus, talk about an unrealistic expectation.

Red90

Adventurer
In my experience the old Land Rovers are no less reliable than other comparable vehicles.

The new ones are quite bad compared to similar new vehicles. This is the opinion of every owner I personally now that has bought one new in the last ten years. There is no reason to believe that the new Defender will be any different.

REDROVER

Explorer
Older land rovers even if it wasn’t the most reliable, at least easy fix basic vehicle it was,
That’s what made it icon all over the world,

Toyota kicked land rovers ass in AUSTRALIA
and got rid of them,
They are doing it in South Africa
They are doing it in South America right now.

Pretty much every overland video, topic, show, article and whatever else you see, is Toyota or another brand vehicle,

What happened to Land Rover ? They suck in reliability and fixability.
Just pay attention on every new defender review, they keep talking about ride quality, that’s all it has ? who cares about that when you are in the middle of nowhere.

The good old saying that nailed Land Rovers coffin ( IF YOU WANNA GO TO SAFARI AND COME HOME DRIVE A TOYOTA, IF YOU WANNA GO TO SAFARI AND STAY THERE TAKE THE LAND ROVER )

Famous words of African travelers.

Now Land Rover does few paid drives in Africa ( Dirt roads ) doesn’t mean people are going to forget the reason why Land Rover is going extinct in travelers world.

nickw

Adventurer
Older land rovers even if it wasn’t the most reliable, at least easy fix basic vehicle it was,
That’s what made it icon all over the world,

Toyota kicked land rovers ass in AUSTRALIA
and got rid of them,
They are doing it in South Africa
They are doing it in South America right now.

Pretty much every overland video, topic, show, article and whatever else you see, is Toyota or another brand vehicle,

What happened to Land Rover ? They suck in reliability and fixability.
Just pay attention on every new defender review, they keep talking about ride quality, that’s all it has ? who cares about that when you are in the middle of nowhere.

The good old saying that nailed Land Rovers coffin ( IF YOU WANNA GO TO SAFARI AND COME HOME DRIVE A TOYOTA, IF YOU WANNA GO TO SAFARI AND STAY THERE TAKE THE LAND ROVER )

Famous words of African travelers.

Now Land Rover does few paid drives in Africa ( Dirt roads ) doesn’t mean people are going to forget the reason why Land Rover is going extinct in travelers world.
Land Rover did all of us a favor....they kept some of you guys from buying an expensive, spartan, low tech rig only to take it out on the first long road trip and realize your wife is going to make you do the walk of shame back to the dealership to trade it in....

nickw

Adventurer
In my experience the old Land Rovers are no less reliable than other comparable vehicles.

The new ones are quite bad compared to similar new vehicles. This is the opinion of every owner I personally now that has bought one new in the last ten years. There is no reason to believe that the new Defender will be any different.
It's an interesting thing, maybe it's location or selective listening, I know a few dudes that are into rovers and they all love them and don't have problems with any of them.....not to mention guys like Scott and others on this website that don't have issues either. Not doubting you at all, just funny how general themes are spread.

Blaise

Land Rover did all of us a favor....they kept some of you guys from buying an expensive, spartan, low tech rig only to take it out on the first long road trip and realize your wife is going to make you do the walk of shame back to the dealership to trade it in....

Whaaaaaaaaaaat you mean the women in the open top wranglers with the doors off aren't loving having dust fill every part of their bodies? :D

*keeps windows up, turns on passenger side seat warmer, turns passenger climate control high, enjoys comfortable ride*

mpinco

Expedition Leader

LOL. As a current LR and former Jeep owner trail reality is the open cage Jeep on 35's with bikini girls in party mode while the girl wrapped up in scarfs stating she wouldn't bring her LR4 "up here".

roving1

When the LR3 got really up in miles and was needing lots of preventive maintenance, I let it go for a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

I am being 50% glib and joking and 50% serious when I say that this sentence shows a thought process so alien to me that I literally can't trust anything you say after reading this. I'm not a particular LR fan either. But wow. No comprendo mucho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior