New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

JeepColorado

I'm really disappointed that we are focused on pedestrian deaths when we are supposed to be slamming the Defender...look at the title of this thread- it's about how bad the Defender is, unless someone has facts that show how a pedestrian is more likely to be injured by a Defender because of the terrible design over other 4x4s I want to get back to talkin' ******** about LR and their new cross-over Pretender. :)

mpinco

Expedition Leader
My point was I don't like the front end of the Luxury Defender because 1) looks like Disney 2) curved due to regulation 3) Jeep "shadow" lights and that the brush bar will be standard factory stoutness (lacking). The rear is actually good as it is more square.

As for pedestrians, let's just leave that for another discussion. I do have to highlight that not only are a majority of "ksi's" (killed or seriously injured) are drugs, alcohol or mental illness we also don't have motorcycle helmet laws. All this fits with Jeeps selling 24K per month vs the D5 at 450 per month even IF the D5 has better safety ratings.

So, now on to redesigning the front end of the Luxury Defender ..................

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Are there seriously that many people hit by cars that we need to design a 5,00lb vehicle around whether they will be splattered at a skewed angle vs. bounced and pummeled squarely?

Being hit by a freaking car is going to ruin someone's day no matter what the shape of the angry eyes are. I dont believe for a second that "they had to design it that way, for the children chasing the balls into the road". The designers made the conscious decision to completely change the look of the defender.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
My point was I don't like the front end of the Luxury Defender because 1) looks like Disney 2) curved due to regulation 3) Jeep "shadow" lights and that the brush bar will be standard factory stoutness (lacking). The rear is actually good as it is more square.

Yeah, so you don't like the look, then it's okay to make "stuff" up to support it. And when confronted and asked for evidence, it then becomes "let's just leave that for another discussion":

As for pedestrians, let's just leave that for another discussion. I do have to highlight that not only are a majority of "ksi's" (killed or seriously injured) are drugs, alcohol or mental illness we also don't have motorcycle helmet laws. All this fits with Jeeps selling 24K per month vs the D5 at 450 per month even IF the D5 has better safety ratings.

So, now on to redesigning the front end of the Luxury Defender ..................
Yeah, let's redesign something so it looks and function exactly as bad as the old one. Just to make you happy.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Are there seriously that many people hit by cars that we need to design a 5,00lb vehicle around whether they will be splattered at a skewed angle vs. bounced and pummeled squarely?

Being hit by a freaking car is going to ruin someone's day no matter what the shape of the angry eyes are. I dont believe for a second that "they had to design it that way, for the children chasing the balls into the road". The designers made the conscious decision to completely change the look of the defender.

Are there really that many that are tossed around that we need to wear seatbelts? Do we really need safety glass or laminated windscreens when so few people are going through the windscreens being cut?
Do we really need crumble zones in a car to protect the driver and passengers in a crash?

Yes, we do. And if a car is designed for it, your chance of survival goes up immensely, whether it being as a pedestrian or an occupant.

blackangie

Anyone experienced won't choose a vehicle with 18" low profile tyres for bush work, particularly sand.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
18" low profile tyres for bush work? I dont think anyone is going to go that low

Defender come standard with 32s

FYI sidewall profile is what matters not wheel size.

However if you want to tow lots and stop you need big brakes.

If you want to drive fast, tow and stop, you need bigger brakes.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

blackangie

So your wrong about the pedestrians?

blackangie

Firstly no car is 500lb, secondly yes shape affects injury, its fact, not fiction, do some research into it.

blackangie

Yeah, so you don't like the look, then it's okay to make "stuff" up to support it. And when confronted and asked for evidence, it then becomes "let's just leave that for another discussion":

Yeah, let's redesign something so it looks and function exactly as bad as the old one. Just to make you happy.
Spot on and only 5k public buyers bought it per year, 15k fleet.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
So your wrong about the pedestrians?

Not at all. There was another KSI last night, same area as the homeless frequent, hit by a SUV that features the design attributes intended to minimize pedestrian injury. Except that design spec is for low speed travel, much less than posted limits. The real issue? Mental health, drugs, alcohol, combo of all where the inebriated pedestrian is unpredictable and follows no laws, no matter how many you write. The frontal design would not have prevented the KSI. The real issue? Well mental health, drugs, alcohol, ..... Note that Colorado legalized marijuana. Accidents are now up 5%, a statistically significant number. Among the homeless? Much more prevalent and in fact a factor in homeless being drawn here from those states where it is still illegal. Is that a statement against marijuana? No. Is it highlighting where the real issues is, inebriated pedestrians? Well, yes.

Let's return to the discussion of the Luxury Defender's with the face of Disneyland and your latest Cars movie. Can the entire front clip be removed as one piece?

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Sheesh! Doubling down on the insanity once again. Maybe you ought to lay down that shovel of yours.

The dead KSI would differ with you. Now about the front clip, can it be removed in one piece? Or maybe just a few pieces such that the cooling attributes are maintained while the Disney look is removed?

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
You still haven't shown how a pedestrian friendly front makes it more lethal than a non-friendly front. Dead KSI or not. What you have "established" is that people can still die if hit by a vehicle regardless of the front. Well, duh.

Edit: Btw, the following is awfully convenient (even though it doesn't support your argument at all):

There was another KSI last night, same area as the homeless frequent, hit by a SUV that features the design attributes intended to minimize pedestrian injury.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94