New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Yup on leafs. International. When the 345 engine needed a refresh the high nickel block was just honed, not bored. Many get 500K+ before rebuilds. One transmission rebuild. Torqueflite 727.

IH Scouts were sold at the local farm implement or OTR dealer, not in your typical "motor city". If I needed parts at 2am, the parts dept was open. What killed International Scouts? ........ Unions

But now we are off topic other than some use to understand how to build utility vs luxury.

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
Yup on leafs. International. When the 345 engine needed a refresh the high nickel block was just honed, not bored. One transmission rebuild. Torqueflite 727.
Leafs wear out if used or offroaded. Unless it was just pavement and hwy day in day out.

My FJ40 springs were still driveable at 150k, but were pretty sagged out.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Leafs wear out if used or offroaded. Unless it was just pavement and hwy day in day out.

My FJ40 springs were still driveable at 150k, but were pretty sagged out.

Except the best springs for off-road are soft springs, not your typical lifted 4" buck-board spring.

Blaise

Spring steel is spring steel. It sags over time, there's just no way to get around material properties. Yes cheap stuff doesn't last as long but no matter domestic or japanese I can't think of any vehicle I've owned or been around with leafs which didn't sag by 150k, much less 400k. And I'm all about Scouts.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
You know what springs don't sag?

Air springs.

*watches heads spontaneously combust*

LOL. Oh yes they do, all the way to the bump stops with no warning. Leafs will eventually wear out but they are 'serviceable' in that you can pick your timeframe and budget of choice to take whatever path you want. That could be next week, next year or never.

Fact - Owner of a plumbing supply house bought a brand new Jeep J20 PU (yes the original Gladiator SJ), late 70's/early 80's and because it was a 3/4 ton suspension didn't like the rough ride. Changed out the 3/4 ton leaf springs for soft. That J20 also had a 401 cu. in. engine with quadra-trac. Would idle right up most moguls and hardly slip a wheel. If it did, torque, lots of it, was transferred. Oh, and did I mention those soft saggy springs that really liked to flex? In the Scout community the discussion was always a 4" lift that many would complain about later on - It doesn't flex! Well soft springs are just fine. Now about that body lift.

Last edited:

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
LOL. Oh yes they do, all the way to the bump stops with no warning. Leafs will eventually wear out but they are 'serviceable' in that you can pick your timeframe of choice to take whatever path you want. That could be next week, next year or never.

Fact - Owner of a plumbing supply house bought a brand new Jeep J20 PU, late 70's/early 80's and because it was a 3/4 ton suspension didn't like the rough ride. Changed out the 3/4 ton leaf springs for soft. That J20 also had a 401 cu. in. engine with quadra-trac. Would idle right up most moguls and hardly slip a wheel. If it did, torque, lots of it, was transferred. Oh, and did I mention those soft saggy springs that really liked to flex?

How much does it compromise towing and carrying ability to have "soft saggy springs"? And how much will those "soft saggy springs" allow the vehicle to roll when out and about at more speed than walking pace.

More rock crawling obstacle course fun and games.

Blaise

LOL. Oh yes they do, all the way to the bump stops with no warning. Leafs will eventually wear out but they are 'serviceable' in that you can pick your timeframe and budget of choice to take whatever path you want. That could be next week, next year or never.

It was a joke. Air springs can leak, but not sag. The only way you're going to bumpstops is with a catastrophic failure - which can happen with a leaf spring too (want pics?)

Air springs are also serviceable. You can also pick your time frame and budget. You're also incorrect - you cannot let leafs go forever (same goes for air spring leaks).

mpinco

Expedition Leader
My RRC air springs sagged as they slowly leaked. Point is air springs are a risk item and they do wear out. Serviceable? Maybe if the system doesn't put you on the bump stocks and refuse to raise. How is that 'serviceable' from a utility standpoint? It isn't.

Hey, I love my LR4 EAS. I just realize that someday in the relatively near future I will be making some decisions. There are advantages to keeping it simple and reliable

nickw

Adventurer
IS worked well enough for Toyota on their military rigs....in case anybody forgot:

Blaise

Hey, I love my LR4 EAS. I just realize that someday in the relatively near future I will be making some decisions. There are advantages to keeping it simple and reliable

Or you can just keep it maintained. If there's no leaks, you're fine. If you notice it start to drop, fix the leak (I did O-rings in my front valve block).

If you ignore it forever, you'll burn out the compressor. And then burn it out again, and again, and again. It's really not that complicated... it's just like any other system that needs maintenance. If you love your EAS, then you know why. Vehicles aren't designed to be service-free for 400k miles. If you think they should be, I invite you to spend some time doing design work...

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Or you can just keep it maintained. If there's no leaks, you're fine. If you notice it start to drop, fix the leak (I did O-rings in my front valve block).

If you ignore it forever, you'll burn out the compressor. And then burn it out again, and again, and again. It's really not that complicated... it's just like any other system that needs maintenance. If you love your EAS, then you know why. Vehicles aren't designed to be service-free for 400k miles. If you think they should be, I invite you to spend some time doing design work...

Except the Expedition Portal thread I highlighted on EAS to Coil was driven by a air line rupture that was not rubbing on a nearby object. In addition the bladders eventually have leaks. As you mention valve blocks need servicing. Or maybe the height sensors? Or maybe the wiring (good luck finding it) At what point to you say, hey it's worn out. When it is below zero and on bump stops? Or do you just address the issue with coils and be done with it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles