New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Yeah, and then they broke its supposedly unbreakable windows, much to Iron Man's chagrin.

I'd take a Rivian over this POS Tesla. But I'd take a Defender over both. Gonna need a huge solar farm and a loooooooooong time to get you out of the back 40 when you run out of juice, rather than a friend with a 5gal can of Dino Juice.

I'll take an electric Defender 90 over the Tesla "pickup". Hell, I'll take a mini countryman diesel, petrol, or electric over that Tesla.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
They have been for several pages, and he specifically asked for solid axle overlanders. From this very site..

MattScottF250-3.jpg
6F593B8C-8A77-4B85-9F1F-2AC5D8DB6ECD.jpeg
IMG_0558.jpg
IMG_0507.jpg
IMG_6669-e1405094726662.jpg

Yes, I also explicitly ruled out lorries and tractors. HD Trucks is in the lorry category. You might as well post a converted bus at this stage. Honesty isn't really your strong suit.

The things you have posted are converted commercial vehicles.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
Yeah, and then they broke its supposedly unbreakable windows, much to Iron Man's chagrin.

I'd take a Rivian over this POS Tesla. But I'd take a Defender over both. Gonna need a huge solar farm and a loooooooooong time to get you out of the back 40 when you run out of juice, rather than a friend with a 5gal can of Dino Juice.

I said it's "not what the new Defender should be at all". It's the willingness to produce an interesting and polarizing design and then beat it up in public that is valuable.

DieselRanger

EricTyrrell

Expo God
Yes, I also explicitly ruled out lorries and tractors. HD Trucks is in the lorry category. You might as well post a converted bus at this stage. Honesty isn't really your strong suit.

A HD truck is categorically not a lorry. Not even close. Nor is the van. These are overlanders, on Expedition Portal..

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
I said it's "not what the new Defender should be at all". It's the willingness to produce an interesting and polarizing design and then beat it up in public that is valuable.

How is that "valuable" other than when it comes to image?

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
A HD truck is categorically not a lorry. Not even close. Nor is the van. These are overlanders, on Expedition Portal..

Sure they are. They are Heavy Duty commercial vehicles built as cheaply as possible from an engineering perspective and then converted to campers.
I also take note that most of them are US commercial trucks. You know, the land where there are people who thinks that solid axles are great for anything other than crawling speeds. You know, people who thinks the Wrangler and Mahindra are the epitome of great performance and handling.

DieselRanger

Interesting and polarizing are exactly the words used in automotive press to describe the Defender. And they have absolutely beat it up in public - they have released video and photos of it driving across Africa, Kyrgyzstan, and on the set of a movie where they have clearly rolled it already.

Problem?

EricTyrrell

Expo God
Yes, right alongside the ones with fully independent suspension:

and as of 19 November:

Zambezi to Congo

I'm familiar with the guy. He's been around a long time.

Kingsley-Holgate-in-Land-Rover.jpg

I see, and it's embarrassing, that they has to switch the D5 to Compomotive wheels because LR doesn't give a damn about utility and function anymore.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
Interesting and polarizing are exactly the words used in automotive press to describe the Defender. And they have absolutely beat it up in public - they have released video and photos of it driving across Africa, Kyrgyzstan, and on the set of a movie where they have clearly rolled it already.

Problem?

lol, it's not supposed to be interesting and polarizing because it looks like every other model in their lineup, or in everyone's lineup. I'm sure LR will beat it up more, just like they did the D5 when it did the silk road and needed 15 pairs of spare tires supplied hush-hush to keep the illusion alive.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Yeah, because giving their cars better performing suspension is somehow detrimental to "utility and function".
Sheesh, you really need a new shtick.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
Sure they are. They are Heavy Duty commercial vehicles built as cheaply as possible from an engineering perspective and then converted to campers.
I also take note that most of them are US commercial trucks. You know, the land where there are people who thinks that solid axles are great for anything other than crawling speeds. You know, people who thinks the Wrangler and Mahindra are the epitome of great performance and handling.

Nearly every farmer, construction worker, hauler, ground-works, landscaping, plumbing, electrical, and on and on guy I know or know of drives a truck. There's nothing special about them. They just do a job, like LRs used to.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
lol, it's not supposed to be interesting and polarizing because it looks like every other model in their lineup, or in everyone's lineup. I'm sure LR will beat it up more, just like they did the D5 when it did the silk road and needed 15 pairs of spare tires supplied hush-hush to keep the illusion alive.

You fail to see the irony, even as you moan about how it isn't manly enough, that it looks like the other LRs that women (the horror!) drive you see about your neck of the woods, and complain about how awful it is because it doesn't use the tech used in 1948.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Nearly every farmer, construction worker, hauler, ground-works, landscaping, plumbing, electrical, and on and on guy I know or know of drives a truck. There's nothing special about them. They just do a job, like LRs used to.

Sure. Whatever. You manage to somehow move the goal posts, while ignoring reality. That really is a gift. Especially when you couple it with your eagerness to revolt against gaining knowledge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior