New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

blackangie

You know, this has become a Luxury Defender religious event, not a discussion of actual pros and cons and heads-up. Personal attacks are based on your compliance to a religion, that no one can highlight their points. Only over the top gushing praise is allowed. JD Powers is actually a good example of that religion. They survey for initial quality and "dependability" where that is only for the first 3 years of ownership or less than probably 100% of warranties. The expected life of a vehicle is much longer than 3 years.

Let's look at the Nissan Altima. Per JD Power it is:

View attachment 551999

How "Great" is the Altima's actual dependability? So great that they had to extend the warranty of their transmissions because of early failure, poor 'dependability' and declining customer satisfaction.

Why do Nissan CVT transmissions fail?
Nissan CVT transmissions are known to run hot and cause premature failure. Some speculate that the cause of the overheating is undersized cooling systems. When the Nissan CVT overheats, driver's complain of shaking, shuddering and vibration while accelerating and an overall lack of acceleration.May 2, 2019

Do Nissan Altimas have transmission problems?
Nissan CVT issues are common among Nissan vehicles. ... From 2012 to 2018, several models of Nissan vehicles received the transmission, including the Sentra, Versa, Versa Note, Altima, Rogue, and Murano models. Some of the most common issues with the vehicles directly relate to the transmission.

There is currently a Lemon Law case pending against Nissan for their JD Power "Great!" vehicle dependability.

JD Powers has morphed into a marketing company for the manufacturers, carefully crafting their timelines for outcome. I have never even considered JD Powers as this is obvious. Where do I go for perspectives? That actual vehicle owner forums that are a MUCH better measure of whatever metric you are looking for. As the survey of 44,000 owners highlighted LR was characterized as "abysmal" with respect to their peers, even for recent year products.

Time to tone down the religious fever and let people highlight the pros and cons without personal attacks.
Personal attacks, telling you about a more reliable source of data is hardly a personal attack.

Wow, when shown the facts, cold hard facts, you try to make out that new defender fans and jd.power itself is a religion because both don't agree with you.

I have this saved and post it up when i hear someone say LR is unreliable.

I would see people say, LR or JLR is the most unreliable car manufacturer out, if this was from LR owners Generally speaking it was someone who doesn't own a latest Gen or Newish LR.

To me owning a new JLR vehicle and knowing how reliable the new LR vehicles seem on this forum based on trip reports etc, it just didn't make sense.

Heres what I found, the reliability argument against LR isn't really a thing anymore, ill explain why and it may surprise some that haven't seen this posted before.

I looked at data 20 years ago and Landrover have improved reliability around 180% since then and most improved over last year of any manufacturer tested in the states.

So what's with LR being towards the bottom of the US dependability list?

The whole industry has improved to a point where there are only a few problems per year between the list after 3 years of ownership. Imo its almost like the top 20 airlines for safety(I try to fly on these), they are not in any particular order as they are all considered as safe as each other.

Landrover owners of 2016 vehicles are only reporting 2 problems and Toyota 1(it seems largely off the back of corolla and prius, camry, avalon, rav4 etc and where limited toyota 4x4 models are sold (infact last time i checked the only similar toyota they sell is a petrol LC200) thats 2 problems for a whole year after 3 years of ownership!

It is reported also that most issues were infotainment related, which admittedly in 2016 was not LRs strongpoint. Would love to see the reliability comparison based only on US LR 4x4s models and US Toyota 4x4 models, but even then it wouldn't be fair due to the lack of diesels from Toyota.

In the UK Landrover reliability is pretty much on par with Toyota (where petrol and diesel etc Toyota 4x4 models are sold in a very similar way to AU, fair comparison)

A Landrover 2016 model has approx 1.42 problems over 12 months after 3 years and Toyota 1.34 (absolutely nothing between them in reliability)

In AU Toyota have been far from the pinnacle of reliability over the last few years, imo LR on the other hand has done really well the last few years avoiding any mass market issues.

I mention Toyota not to badmouth, rather becuase they are usually referred to as some holy grail of reliability and a benchmark. They are a great thing and if you own one great!

The UK is a similar selling market to ours as far as Land Rover and other major 4x4 sellers for example (Yota), the facts show there is about as much difference as identical twins between the two as far as dependability goes, which is incredible considering LR is pretty much 4x4 only, making reliability much harder to achieve then companies that mostly make 2wds.

Times have changed as anyone with a newish JLR vehicle will attest to, quality and reliability are as good as could be expected for the vehicle you actually get, which when you have a vehicle that can do much more than its competitors is much harder to achieve.

This all has taken me a very long time to get my head around over the last year but im glad i did, as LRs reliability factually is much better than many make out and for the last couple of decades has been getting better and better.

Lets keep this civil and factual, I won't be arguing with anyone, but just thought it would be a good reference point for those that have had similar thoughts or have wondered about the same questions

Sources jdpower us/uk annual reports

5c2b302a9497bcd4bc766acc592e66d9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

The Range Rover Evoque has done well. In many ways it saved LR. As I discussed with the dealer and they agreed, the Evoque was a 'fashion statement'. Personally I hate the vehicle, both from looks and as a loaner. It cheapens the Range Rover brand. To each his own.

A couple of years ago I was driving across I-80 in Wyoming in a total white-out blizzard. That "fashion statement" Evoque never faltered, while I passed many more serious AWD and 4WD vehicles in the ditches. It's by no means a rock crawler, but that's not why I bought it. It's an awesome daily driver that will make it through some serious ice and snow.

blackangie

There are NO "personal attacks" anywhere in what you quoted. None at all. And I haven't seen any personal attacks at all in this thread, although the following from you comes awfully close:

Also, it is evident with your latest post that you want carte blanche to not be countered when you make up stuff as you have done numerous times in this thread. It's quite dishonest to pretend to be a victim as you do over and over again in your post.
I too was a bit shocked by bringing religion into this to try to vilify those that have a different opinion.

blackangie

Looks exactly like every other SUV and crossover on the market. Where's the innovation to deliver a product that's as tough and utilitarian as the Defender name suggests? Embed airline track in the floor, get rid of the vents and buttons or move them up high to avoid getting dirty or hit by shifting cargo, fold-out sides that protect the door cards and front seats when the rear seats are folded down for cargo holding... Maybe those ideas suck, but I shouldn't be the one brainstorming this stuff. It was their job and they delivered a Discovery 5 with embossed faux tread plate flooring.
Im not following, that rear is fully rubberized in checkerplate pattern, no carpet to be seen, all critical buttons throughout the car are well above 1 meter line, its IP67 anyway so that means under 1meter of water for 1hr it will function.

That rear is extremely functional and innovative, 5 or 5+2 with a completely flat floor.

Floors are double rubberized and wash out

Looks to me the perfect balance of comfort and utilitarian to keep everyone happy.

Spec it with nothing if you want it even more basic..can even be had with dials for speedo etc and a walkthrough centre.

blackangie

Agreed, the Luxury Defender is what the D5 should have been. As already highlighted in the press LR intentionaly moved the Defender "up-market".
Nah they said they intentionally moved the Discovery up market.

Defender has just had all its innovation in 1 year.

blackangie

The Range Rover Evoque has done well. In many ways it saved LR. As I discussed with the dealer and they agreed, the Evoque was a 'fashion statement'. Personally I hate the vehicle, both from looks and as a loaner. It cheapens the Range Rover brand. To each his own.
Just about every good looking girl on the planet would disagree with you. But as you say each to his own.

The new one is a significant improvement, check it out.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
I'm 6th in line at my dealership for ordering the new Defender. I don't know the last time I saw so many people get triggered over a new model, of course it is replacing the iconic Defender. Oh well, I'm used to being an outcast, even among the LR crowd because I drive a LR4. Even though it's 8 years old now, the old Defender and Series crowd hate it because it's too modern. The Disco 1 and 2 guys hate it because with Terrain Response, it makes most obstacles look easy and I don't have the dreaded "Tres Amigos" problem. Did I mention that my other vehicle is a Range Rover Evoque? I love that thing too! Sorry, I just don't get butthurt over the modern Land Rover products and I sorta like the direction the brand is heading.

I might get one eventually as well, but only as an LR4 replacement. I'd be very tempted to replace the decals with "Discovery". I have a real Defender already. The new luxury Defender doesn't fit the purpose of the Defender name. It's intentionally the opposite of luxury, to focus on utility , capability, and simplicity. There are plenty of luxury SUVs out there, including LR's entire lineup. In fact, it's nearly all that's left from any manufacturer. If you like the direction of the brand, it's only because you don't understand the Defender, the dishonest appropriation that's happening, and what is being lost in the process.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
A couple of years ago I was driving across I-80 in Wyoming in a total white-out blizzard. That "fashion statement" Evoque never faltered, while I passed many more serious AWD and 4WD vehicles in the ditches. It's by no means a rock crawler, but that's not why I bought it. It's an awesome daily driver that will make it through some serious ice and snow.

No doubt. So will a Subaru. We have the top selling Subaru dealer in the nation. The local joke is that there is one in every garage. Those class of vehicle do well in snow country. The Evoque should do well but so did my 95 RRC through many Kansas blizzards. Glad you like the Evoque. JLR needs volume.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Just about every good looking girl on the planet would disagree with you. But as you say each to his own.

The new one is a significant improvement, check it out.

I agree, its a girl car. As the dealer said, the Evoque was a fashion statement.

blackangie

Agreed

blackangie

I'm 6th in line at my dealership for ordering the new Defender. I don't know the last time I saw so many people get triggered over a new model, of course it is replacing the iconic Defender. Oh well, I'm used to being an outcast, even among the LR crowd because I drive a LR4. Even though it's 8 years old now, the old Defender and Series crowd hate it because it's too modern. The Disco 1 and 2 guys hate it because with Terrain Response, it makes most obstacles look easy and I don't have the dreaded "Tres Amigos" problem. Did I mention that my other vehicle is a Range Rover Evoque? I love that thing too! Sorry, I just don't get butthurt over the modern Land Rover products and I sorta like the direction the brand is heading.

View attachment 552062
Well done mate!, the newer models don't get that much hate in AU, as most are not worried about the value of resale of their US100k old defender. Defenders are priced reasonably normal in OZ due to only ceasing sales in 2016.

blackangie

The new luxury Defender doesn't fit the purpose of the Defender name. It's intentionally the opposite of luxury, to focus on utility , capability, and simplicity.

Well the new one is by all facts more durable, capable and reliable does that make the old one less defender? No.

If they tested the old defender the way they tested the new, the windows would have dropped out and dash rattled to pieces by the end of lap 1.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Nah they said they intentionally moved the Discovery up market.

Defender has just had all its innovation in 1 year.

The Luxury Defender has been 5 years in the making. As noted in the industry press:

Land Rover takes the Defender upmarket
Automotive News - Europe

FRANKFURT -- Land Rover has transformed its Defender off-roader into a far more luxurious, roomier and high-tech vehicle, but for a price substantially above the long-running model it replaces. ............

blackangie

I agree, its a girl car. As the dealer said, the Evoque was a fashion statement.
So you agree every good looking girls would disagree with you

Its targeted at girls/ wives, but wives also have husbands and boyfriends.

And i wouldn't disrespect any guy that bought one if that's what they needed as long as it wasn't pink

Met an older genteleman the other day that tows a van with it and he swears by it and loves it, 1st gen evoque.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior