New Defender News

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Yeah, you're totally right. I mean, they had posted a video from just a couple weeks earlier where the Defender made a fool out of a Gladiator on far tougher, more rocky terrain, but that got hardly any clicks.

But the video where they line up 3 feet from a square edged rock and floored it, popping the tire, got way more views, and they made way more money off it.

So yeah, you're right, they're not morons - they're geniuses.
They can’t control clicks- they produce content and people click on what they like. The latest videos they made on the 130 they discussed the issues they had, he even said he liked the 110 it just didn’t work out. On a positive note the 130 fared really well against the Kia and Audi station wagon…?

DieselRanger

They can’t control clicks- they produce content and people click on what they like. The latest videos they made on the 130 they discussed the issues they had, he even said he liked the 110 it just didn’t work out. On a positive note the 130 fared really well against the Kia and Audi station wagon…?
Publishing content for viewing to make money is their model. They can't control clicks, but there absolutely are tricks of the trade to drive traffic to their site and generate views. Hype and controversy are a couple of those tricks of the trade. All of their social media presence pushes people to view their content on YouTube, where you're forced to watch ads to view (and finish) their content, and for each view they get, they make money based on the ads played.

So don't tell me they're not in it for the money. TFL Truck is a company - not a couple hobbyists posting vids for the lulz.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Publishing content for viewing to make money is their model. They can't control clicks, but there absolutely are tricks of the trade to drive traffic to their site and generate views. Hype and controversy are a couple of those tricks of the trade. All of their social media presence pushes people to view their content on YouTube, where you're forced to watch ads to view (and finish) their content, and for each view they get, they make money based on the ads played.

So don't tell me they're not in it for the money. TFL Truck is a company - not a couple hobbyists posting vids for the lulz.
Right - what’s wrong with that? You lamented the fact that lots of people watched the video of a defender shortcoming and all the related videos. It’s no different than rubberneckers on the road, people like crashes. You can’t be upset at TFL- you should be upset at Land Rover- if anyone at all..

DieselRanger

Right - what’s wrong with that? You lamented the fact that lots of people watched the video of a defender shortcoming and all the related videos. It’s no different than rubberneckers on the road, people like crashes. You can’t be upset at TFL- you should be upset at Land Rover- if anyone at all..
The issue is the way they drove it. Again, if you want to just bash your way over anything in your path, then any off-the-lot SUV or truck you buy will break, whether destroying a tire or something worse.

If you drive your Defender in the correct way, which they intentionally did not, then it will handle 99.9% of all off-road duties you could possibly do. It's a far better machine than the vehicle it replaces, and that's been demonstrated time and again, including in numerous videos posted in this very thread.

But sure, let's keep pointing out ONE video where someone intentionally drove the vehicle in a manner that played to easy criticism, which was done in a manner to draw views and earn money, and let's ignore the great many more videos of actual users driving the vehicle in a way that it should be, in which it succeeded and in fact out-performed "legendary" and supposedly superior vehicles.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Lol we will just disagree. They babied that thing and it failed. The whole experience was a train wreck for Land Rover. I’m still a fan of their old defenders so don’t take this as just a bash on the brand….

ChasingOurTrunks

Say what you want about the ND, but its safety is ??

There's a few examples of the Defender being in a crash and the passenger cabin remaining incredibly well intact. It's a huge selling feature for me to keep it on my list for a car. It's not my top choice but it's ability to crash well and keep occupants relatively safe is an underrated part of this vehicle in my opinion.

SkiWill

The safety results for the new Defender are impressive. It's one of the reasons I bought my LR4 as well. While not IIHS tested in the US, the IIHS does keep data on medical payouts and the LR4, at the time I bought mine, was among the lowest. Lower payouts due to injuries suggests less severe injuries in real world crashes.

A.J.M

Explorer
Took a hit from an 18 wheeler while stationary. Held up pretty well considering.

what’s the speed limits for trucks?
Here in the U.K. it’s 56mph which is still enough to cause serious injury and death.

catmann

what’s the speed limits for trucks?
Here in the U.K. it’s 56mph which is still enough to cause serious injury and death.

There is no speed limit specifically for trucks. The US highways used to be mostly 55mph but in recent years most have been raised between 65mph and 75mph, with one stretch in Texas that now has an 85mph limit!

46753126_10156996442547948_632504144166387712_n.jpg

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
There is no speed limit specifically for trucks. The US highways used to be mostly 55mph but in recent years most have been raised between 65mph and 75mph, with one stretch in Texas that now has an 85mph limit!

46753126_10156996442547948_632504144166387712_n.jpg
We’ve got quite a few stretches of 80 in Oklahoma- even more at 75. It hasn’t been 55 in probably 30 years.

ChasingOurTrunks

The Six O'Clock News said:
JLR acknowledging that it's engines may leak oil. In other current events, the Berlin Wall has finally come down and a new discovery called "Penicillin" promises to change the outcome of once-lethal diseases. More at 11.

Jokes aside, this section:

J6P3-6J011-AF is the part number of the suspect component. The cam carrier oil gallery may not have been fully drilled by the aforementioned supplier. This error may result in a blocked oil channel, which leads to oil accumulation against the pressure control valve rubber membrane. An oil leak or an increase in oil carryover into the air intake system is noted in the document attached below, comprising two campaigns for the U.S. market.

is interesting to me. A blocked oil channel forcing oil past a membrane seems to only be part of the problem; what moving parts were starved of lubrication because of that blocked channel, if any? It's effecting about 2% of annual production based on my napkin math, but hopefully not too many folks have a bad day because of it. And, credit to JLR - I'd always rather a company recall on an issue than take the Pinto "Lets wait and see what it costs" approach!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles