New Defender News

Thorsten

Here are some photos of the 2022 Defender V8, including the larger screen.

Are the 22 inch wheels required when ordering I wonder? I see comments they are due to the special brakes the V8 Supercharged comes with, needs a large wheel to accommodate those dinnerplate rotors. I know this is an issue with wheel size on the Range Rover as well. Not great for sidewall...

crazysccrmd

Observer
What would be awesome is if you could just option the engine. I can build the 90 I'd want with the P300 for $56k or up it to a P400 with pretty much identical configuration for $66k. If I could add just the V8 for another $10k I'd be way more likely to do it than going with the rest of the fancy interior and exterior packaging for another $20k on top of the engine.

soflorovers

What would be awesome is if you could just option the engine. I can build the 90 I'd want with the P300 for $56k or up it to a P400 with pretty much identical configuration for $66k. If I could add just the V8 for another $10k I'd be way more likely to do it than going with the rest of the fancy interior and exterior packaging for another $20k on top of the engine.
Agreed. However, they'd never recoup the R&D costs. This is the only Defender with the AJ engine, unlike prior RR/RRS options that were designed with that V6/V8 option in mind. Personally, I'm super bummed about it too. I'd happily pay just for the motor as well.

Carson G

Agreed. However, they'd never recoup the R&D costs. This is the only Defender with the AJ engine, unlike prior RR/RRS options that were designed with that V6/V8 option in mind. Personally, I'm super bummed about it too. I'd happily pay just for the motor as well.
It’ll probably be about that much in a couple years on the used market. That’s when I would get one.

DieselRanger

Wat? That basic engine architecture is ancient, almost as old as the Audi 4.2 V8 block. Those development costs are long paid for. The emissions and transmission pairing is probably more like tuning the computers for the Defender (hence the numerous Nurburgring runs it had) rather than real design work....

This is a pure high-margin halo vehicle that they'll produce and sell in low quantities, clearly an AMG G53 competitor that will appeal to a similar clientele. They didn't have to redesign the engine bay as a MHEV inline six is longer and taller than a small block V8 with a blower in the valley, and they said up front in development that there would be a "halo Defender" offered so it was clearly planned.

More likely, they know that just offering the AJ V8 as a standalone engine choice, it would be too popular. With it and the SVR Rangies offered, they can't sell too many of them without a penalty on under-running the CAFE targets, which may even have some of those penalties baked into the cost just in case. Not talking gas guzzler tax, CAFE cap and trade penalties are different.

A.J.M

Explorer

68,000 orders.
50 international awards.

This V8 model has a drift mode, the AJ engine with the right exhaust has a properly lovely noise to it.
When you have V8s everywhere it may not stand out but over here with the majority of cars having 4 pot diesels or 3 pot petrols, a v8 stands out.

DieselRanger

68,000 orders.
50 international awards.

This V8 model has a drift mode, the AJ engine with the right exhaust has a properly lovely noise to it.
When you have V8s everywhere it may not stand out but over here with the majority of cars having 4 pot diesels or 3 pot petrols, a v8 stands out.
Are MOT taxes still based on a combination of displacement and rated CO2 emissions?

A.J.M

Explorer
Mot is an annual check of the car when it’s 3 years old.
VED, ( vehicle excise duty ) is based on co2 figures.
it’s broken into bands, the higher polluting the car, the more it’s taxed.
My old tdv6 D3 was £330 a year, but others with exactly the same engine were £550.
My Freelander 2 is £265 a year.

There is also a FYR ( first year rate ) for tax and also for the first 5 years any car over £40k pays an extra £310 on top of their annual VED.

we don’t charge extra for engine displacement. But don’t give them ideas!!!

Its rather confusing to read sadly.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
So on the UK configurator you can spec a 110 (non hard top) with coil suspension and the rear locker and TR2. Basically the biggest thing ASPW was complaining about.
NON HARD TOP???

I know in the UK Hard Top just means no window, But you guys can keep that V8 I want a Drop Top 90 with a really Roll bar in it??? :love:
Dreaming.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles