New Defender News

krick3tt

Adventurer
quote: 'They won’t be running in 10 years.'

I misread the post it was 10 years. I sometimes read things wrongly, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

A.J.M

Explorer
Likewise, but it's unlikely we'll see them here in the US and A.

yeah, that’s a bit of a shame.

the D300 on paper is a proper and capable engine.
300bhp, 472lbft of torque, most of which comes in at 1500rpm.
0-60 in 6.7 or so and WLTP U.K. mpg of 30 combined.

that’s plenty for me.

plus the same engine is in 300/350 bhp power outputs for the RRS and MK4 RR.
I’m curious about what the changes from 300 to 350 are. If it’s just a map then that’s an easy 50bhp to add with the extra torque to match.

DieselRanger

yeah, that’s a bit of a shame.

the D300 on paper is a proper and capable engine.
300bhp, 472lbft of torque, most of which comes in at 1500rpm.
0-60 in 6.7 or so and WLTP U.K. mpg of 30 combined.

that’s plenty for me.

plus the same engine is in 300/350 bhp power outputs for the RRS and MK4 RR.
I’m curious about what the changes from 300 to 350 are. If it’s just a map then that’s an easy 50bhp to add with the extra torque to match.
I like the Td6 for its seemingly bottomless (topless? :cool::ROFLMAO:) torque, but have always felt 300hp would serve its heft better.

A.J.M

Explorer
It’s going to be interesting for the 3.0 engines.

they come in 200/250/300 bhp figures from the same engine.

I believe there is some differences between the 200 and 250 engines but software only for 250-300.

soflorovers

As someone who is currently in the middle of restoring his Discovery 2, I just want to be very clear for the record: If you're the sort of person that complains that the new Defender has too much plastic, I IMPLORE you to go mess with a D2 and tell me the Defender is bad. There isn't a single piece of OEM plastic on my truck (105k miles - 2004) that hasn't broken into 20 little pieces.

T-Willy

Defender P400e

"...it apparently returns 85.3 mpg on the WLTP combined cycle."

This technology, if reliable, is groundbreaking for remote touring. That's 400 miles of range from a five-gallon gas can. The Jeep 4xe is promising similarly impressive numbers at 50 MPG combined, if I recall. I wonder if Defender retains its 1960 lb payload on this platform.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
The WLTP test profile is rather limited, short drives, no hills and constant temp environment. Probably somewhat informative for very urban use cases only.

"......The new WLTP laboratory test cycle is longer than the NEDC cycle in both time and distance - cars are now driven for 30 minutes and around 14 miles......"

From the Defender article - "....Max towing capacity for the P400e comes in at 6,613 pounds, a marked downgrade from the 8,201 pounds and 7,716 pounds that the regular 3.0- and 2.0-liter versions can tow, respectively......"

The batteries are heavy. Which is why LR has said BEV is a poor choice for larger vehicles.

Carson G

"...it apparently returns 85.3 mpg on the WLTP combined cycle."

This technology, if reliable, is groundbreaking for remote touring. That's 400 miles of range from a five-gallon gas can. The Jeep 4xe is promising similarly impressive numbers at 50 MPG combined, if I recall. I wonder if Defender retains its 1960 lb payload on this platform.
That would be around 3400 miles of range with a full tank and 4 five gallon cans.
Absolutely bonkers.

naks

surely that's not correct?

Once you've used up the charge, then you're just lugging flat batteries around? Ok, there will be some recharge on downhills, braking, etc., but still...

mpinco

Expedition Leader
That would be around 3400 miles of range with a full tank and 4 five gallon cans.
Absolutely bonkers.

Not even close. The D110 with a 2.0l engine is rated at 18 mpg combined. With a 24 gal tank + (4*5gal) for a total of 44gal
44gal * 18mpg + 27 miles = ~800 miles total. That might be extended if there was significant downhill work. I suspect that BEV range gets consumed much faster than the WLTP spec profile.
Since your now hauling around 8,201-6,613lbs = ~1600lbs of batteries all the time I would expect fuel mileage would be closer to 15mpg for the 2.0l so range would be in the 650 mile range.

The cost savings is all urban use profile. The penalty is GVWR and towing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles