New Defender News

mpinco

Expedition Leader
In summary the new Defender is the best Discovery / LR5 Land Rover could design and offer. As LR's new design director Massimo Frascella stated design of next gen LR product is NOT a democracy and there is and will be actually very little input from the community. They have a vision and we knew that with the Evoque. The Evoque was the fashion statement, their forward vision. LR's go-forward design language will be Evoque and so be it. JLR will live or die based on that vision, period. The other piece of that vision is Blackberry QNX virtualization that will be needed to support the electrification of many if not all functions that LR envisions they will need in a high tech platform. It is a very upper class urban high tech vision.

Which is why the door was opened to Ineos Grenadier for real "Defender" class product.

XJLI

Adventurer

IN THE WILDERNESS!!!!! ONLY TOOK 1 MINUTE OF SCREEN TIME TO GET A BUMPER ON MY LC70 WITH A FRAME AND BODY THAT HAS BEEN THE SAME SINCE 1984!!

I like ASPW, but he's gotta get the sand out. If he gets a Defender for his channel, his view count will go way up. If it breaks??? Even more. Doug became so popular because hie Rover kept breaking. It's literally a proven way to make your youtube channel grow.

Carson G

IN THE WILDERNESS!!!!! ONLY TOOK 1 MINUTE OF SCREEN TIME TO GET A BUMPER ON MY LC70 WITH A FRAME AND BODY THAT HAS BEEN THE SAME SINCE 1984!!

I like ASPW, but he's gotta get the sand out. If he gets a Defender for his channel, his view count will go way up. If it breaks??? Even more. Doug became so popular because hie Rover kept breaking. It's literally a proven way to make your youtube channel grow.
I mean look at TFL’s channel every LR video they have ever made has a higher view count than most of their videos even if the vehicle doesn’t break.

Not only that but if he gets one and it’s decent sales will probably go up on the Defender as will aftermarket support.

JackW

Explorer
I imagine that ASPW really wants is something like the Ineos Granadier - unfortunately a certain amount of electronics is a requirement for any vehicle to be sold in today's world due to regulations.
I would be a potential Ineos customer but I'm not confident that it will ever be sold in the USA due to the problems of getting it EPA and CARB certified (because diesels are EVIL in California).

And that's one of many reasons that I'll never get rid of my all mechanical, coil sprung 300 Tdi powered Defender 90. Fortunately it fits me just right and I can use the new D110 for times when I need something more spacious and comfortable.

T-Willy

I would be a potential Ineos customer but I'm not confident that it will ever be sold in the USA due to the problems of getting it EPA and CARB certified (because diesels are EVIL in California).

Other manufacturers certify and sell modern diesels in the U.S. and California--why and how would it be different for Ineos using the BMW diesel?

Last edited:

TOUGE

Other manufacturers certify and sell modern diesels in the U.S. and California--why and how would it be different for Ineos using the BLM diesel?

I would think it's a cost thing of getting testing/cert in Cali. For the 50-100 cars they might sell in the US the cost of making it pass Cali's regulations prolly isn't worth it. I also believe even if they use a engine from a BMW that's already certified, Ineos would still have to pay again for full testing.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
What a pretentious crock of crap :rolleyes: What kind of arrogance does it take to pretend like you speak for everyone when there is tons and tons of evidence that other Land Rover fans absolutely love the new Defender. How anybody takes this guy seriously is beyond me. Past accomplishments do not give you carte blanche to just spout off nonsense and think it has any bearing on reality.
Is that poster still here? Where is the post..lol

mpinco

Expedition Leader
It is a general consensus that LRs new "Defender" is the latest Discovery/LR5, that LR made an overt decision to not offer a true Defender class product. As LR new design director stated product decisions are not a democracy.

Worms

I know I'm probably driving with computer technology from the dark ages, but am I alone in letting the vehicle systems boot-up by turning on the ignition and waiting for the systems-check to complete before firing it up? Definitely seems to result in fewer spurious error codes to clear.

A.J.M

Explorer
So ASPW has some sand in his chuff then because what he said was a load of garbage.

Shame.
Guess that’s what happens when you take a stance on a car before driving or experiencing it and then trying to justify it when the evidence says otherwise.

the new 3.0 engines have landed in the U.K.
A D240 owner now has a D300 and says it’s considerably better.
I drove a D240 and wouldn’t say it was a slouch of a thing and drove very well.

but a D300 is what I want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles