New Defender News

ChasingOurTrunks

I looked in to shipping the bull bar from Australia. The shipping is over two thousand AU$, for a three thousand dollar kit. Ouch.

I'd be super happy if some importer got a whole crate of them and could save on the shipping so we only have to pay a few hundred for the last leg of the journey, or pick one up at a show when those are a thing again.

I find it interesting that the JLR front end bar work is being sold as a “bull bar” but I think it’s a terminology thing — I’ve heard this language in several places, the JLR bar work available in Australia provides pretty minimal front end protection when compared to a full replacement bumper like an ARB or TJM. The one available from dealers is more akin to what I would call a “brush guard” here in Canada — I have one on my full-size — and they are typically well under the $1k mark, which makes a $5k ask on those bars to be a bit rich for my blood.

The JLR model looks very good and fits the vehicles really nicely but I wonder if it would take a collision with a deer (or Kangaroo) and preserve the function of the vehicle? It doesn’t look like it would to me but I’ve not seen one in person so I’m not sure how stout they are.

T-Willy

I saw my first new Defender in the flesh yesterday. As others have reported, it's larger and better-looking in-person than appears in photos. Handsome, well-proportioned truck. I had to chuckle though, in that the driver was using full ride height to tackle bumper-to-bumper city traffic--a high-stepping pavement pony in the Thanksgiving super-spreader tourist event now underway in Sedona.

Carson G

I find it interesting that the JLR front end bar work is being sold as a “bull bar” but I think it’s a terminology thing — I’ve heard this language in several places, the JLR bar work available in Australia provides pretty minimal front end protection when compared to a full replacement bumper like an ARB or TJM. The one available from dealers is more akin to what I would call a “brush guard” here in Canada — I have one on my full-size — and they are typically well under the $1k mark, which makes a $5k ask on those bars to be a bit rich for my blood.

The JLR model looks very good and fits the vehicles really nicely but I wonder if it would take a collision with a deer (or Kangaroo) and preserve the function of the vehicle? It doesn’t look like it would to me but I’ve not seen one in person so I’m not sure how stout they are.
Based off what I know of the cooling systems it should keep the vehicle operational albeit in limp mode more than likely. The original design of the LR bull bar was better in that it protected all the heat exchangers well were as the final design really only protects the main radiator leaving the inter cooler heat exchangers somewhat exposed. IIRC the original design had to be changed because the extra bars interfered with the parking sensors.

DieselRanger

I saw my first new Defender in the flesh yesterday. As others have reported, it's larger and better-looking in-person than appears in photos. Handsome, well-proportioned truck. I had to chuckle though, in that the driver was using full ride height to tackle bumper-to-bumper city traffic--a high-stepping pavement pony in the Thanksgiving super-spreader tourist event now underway in Sedona.
I've seen several around Colorado Springs - about as many as I've seen of the Discovery 5. Three or four have had the full kit, almost every one has had the roof rack. Up close they are much better looking than they appear online. One had what looked like the Lucky8 sliders.

Judging by the numbers I've seen on the road this close to launch, during the pandemic, vs the Discovery 5 after its launch - I'd say the Defender is going to be much more popular than the D5 and may even help LR hit their targets....

TOUGE

I've seen lots of new(above 10) Defender around Los Angeles, mostly in the Beverly Hills, Beverly Grove, Brentwood and Malibu areas all driven by the same type of person. Did see one with the side storage box and ladder yesterday at LAX, the side boxes don't look as ridiculous in real life than they do pictures.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I've seen lots of new(above 10) Defender around Los Angeles, mostly in the Beverly Hills, Beverly Grove, Brentwood and Malibu areas all driven by the same type of person. Did see one with the side storage box and ladder yesterday at LAX, the side boxes don't look as ridiculous in real life than they do pictures.
What type of person??:LOL:

mpinco

Expedition Leader
That’s what I thought but I’ve been keeping an eye on the other models as well and Defender is definitely out selling them.

Industry sales are down month over month while Land Rover is saving JLR. Thinking Defender and Evoque are the sales leaders although Range Rover also up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles