New Defender News

naks

One of these things is true, at least.
This is your regular reminder that this guy is extremely biased due to his own rocky relationship with JLR, and he put out videos trashing the new Defender's capability before anybody had even driven it. Stop giving him legitimacy by sharing his clickbait nonsense.

tbf, he's brutal with every manufacturer out there - Mitsubishi took him on one of their Pajero launches, and he absolutely trashed the vehicle in his review and was then banned by Mitsubishi as well.

A.J.M

Explorer
Long post warning and I make no apologies for it.

The TFL110 issues do confuse me a little bit.

yes the car had some camera issues but that should have been sorted.
The engine issue, that’s unusual but I would have hoped a replacement engine would have sorted that.

with the old unit being sent back to be stripped down and investigated to see what’s went wrong so it can hopefully be prevented in the future.

As powerful U.K. are showing, fitting a winch isn’t hard. People on the defender fb pages have fitted the air compressor etc without killing the cars and others have fitted other items without the car dying so this has to be some incompetent dealership to screw it up.

That can’t really be blamed on JLR, if the dealer isn’t brilliant.
Hell, my gf and I are having issues with our local VW dealer over her Polo and their inability to find and fix various issues that she, as a total non car person, can hear and point out. Doesn’t mean all VWs are rubbish.

ASPW, he is to my and in my opinion, biased against it and has been from the start.
His older videos have him slating the car without actually driving it or experiencing it for himself.

His call to ARB was clickbate garbage to me.
It took 2-3 years before ARB made a bumper for the D3. So what point he was trying to make is lost on me.

Call Lucky8, they have made a few products for the new 110 and have already shown their car with the bumper off as they are working on a different bumper.
Front runner have roof racks for it.
Other companies have kit coming out.

the cars been out for 7 months in a year when most of the developed world was in lockdown for 3 months due to a global pandemic and he’s moaning about a lack of aftermarket kit.

get some ************** perspective mate.

Ive watched a lot of his videos over the years and have agreed and disagreed with points.
For the new Defender, I don’t agree with his views.

I’m sure that a ginger Scottish bloke not agreeing with him will crush him but he will have to carry that burden.:p

ChasingOurTrunks

Long post warning and I make no apologies for it.

The TFL110 issues do confuse me a little bit.

yes the car had some camera issues but that should have been sorted.
The engine issue, that’s unusual but I would have hoped a replacement engine would have sorted that.

TFL was offered the option of a replacement engine, but they refused -- and I get that. Buying a brand new car, some may want to have it numbers matching (especially TFL, who churn through these vehicles -- an engine swap could conceivably harm the resale in a year). Personally I would have taken the new engine for sure given the rest of the vehicle was custom-ordered to my spec, but I can't fault them for their decision on that one. Otherwise I totally agree with you - a post-mortem on that rig would be a good move.

I’m sure that a ginger Scottish bloke not agreeing with him will crush him but he will have to carry that burden.:p

I LOL'd at this comment :D

The more I reflect on APSW's video, the more I actually like it (but I do tend to like most of his stuff). He's not saying it's a bad vehicle -- far from it, and he comments on how much better it is than the old one and how desirable it is -- it's just not for him. Many users on these boards have had a similar reaction, and his video is very much like a forum post (just via a different medium). He's sharing his opinion based on his experience, and that's a totally fair opinion to say that the new Defender just isn't for him based on the critiques or unknowns he mentioned. I'm thinking that geography plays a role in this too -- If I could wander down to my local dealership and purchase a Troopy, a 70-Series Ute, a Hilux, or a 200 series all for under ~$80k CDN or $65k USD, maybe the Defender would be lower on my list too for a new rig (In fact, it definitely would!).

I say that because all of these Toyotas are proven touring platforms time and time again, they are way cheaper to own and maintain as compared to most JLR models, and they are far easier to get parts and service for just on the fact that they sell so many of them every year in the markets where they are available -- in a few years time if the Defender proves itself to be as properly good as I hope (and think) it is, perhaps that equation will shift, but JLR has to earn it first -- and based on most of the info I can see, they are going in the right direction overall on that score, as most people (TFL not withstanding) seem to be in love with their new Defenders and are enjoying them problem-free so far.

Carson G

TFL was offered the option of a replacement engine, but they refused -- and I get that. Buying a brand new car, some may want to have it numbers matching (especially TFL, who churn through these vehicles -- an engine swap could conceivably harm the resale in a year). Personally I would have taken the new engine for sure given the rest of the vehicle was custom-ordered to my spec, but I can't fault them for their decision on that one. Otherwise I totally agree with you - a post-mortem on that rig would be a good move.

I LOL'd at this comment :D

The more I reflect on APSW's video, the more I actually like it (but I do tend to like most of his stuff). He's not saying it's a bad vehicle -- far from it, and he comments on how much better it is than the old one and how desirable it is -- it's just not for him. Many users on these boards have had a similar reaction, and his video is very much like a forum post (just via a different medium). He's sharing his opinion based on his experience, and that's a totally fair opinion to say that the new Defender just isn't for him based on the critiques or unknowns he mentioned. I'm thinking that geography plays a role in this too -- If I could wander down to my local dealership and purchase a Troopy, a 70-Series Ute, a Hilux, or a 200 series all for under ~$80k CDN or $65k USD, maybe the Defender would be lower on my list too for a new rig (In fact, it definitely would!).

I say that because all of these Toyotas are proven touring platforms time and time again, they are way cheaper to own and maintain as compared to most JLR models, and they are far easier to get parts and service for just on the fact that they sell so many of them every year in the markets where they are available -- in a few years time if the Defender proves itself to be as properly good as I hope (and think) it is, perhaps that equation will shift, but JLR has to earn it first -- and based on most of the info I can see, they are going in the right direction overall on that score, as most people (TFL not withstanding) seem to be in love with their new Defenders and are enjoying them problem-free so far.
Shoot even as a LR fan If I had the opportunity to buy a new 70 series I would buy one over the Defender.

XJLI

Adventurer
Shoot even as a LR fan If I had the opportunity to buy a new 70 series I would buy one over the Defender.

They’re totally different vehicles now. You’ll hate that 70 if you have to drive 6-7 hours on the highway on your way to the trail. The stuff they’re doing in Africa and Australia is on another level than what we do in the states.

ChasingOurTrunks

They’re totally different vehicles now. You’ll hate that 70 if you have to drive 6-7 hours on the highway on your way to the trail. The stuff they’re doing in Africa and Australia is on another level than what we do in the states.

This is interesting to me -- In what way do you mean they are totally different vehicles? The Defender certainly is a very different vehicle in terms of how it does what it says on the box -- IFS/IRS, lots of electronic gizmos, etc. -- so I can totally see that perspective. The reason for my question is that both the Defender and the Toyotas I mentioned both arrive at the same destination in terms of what they are designed for - an off-road capable, reasonably high-payload touring machine. I would have thought that a lot of people looking for a new tourer (like me) would probably have both on the list to check out if both were available.

ChasingOurTrunks

Perhaps I missed it, but here's a video from Expo's very own staff on the new Defender that I didn't notice was shared yet in this thread. It's another example of an excellent overall view on the new Defender in my opinion:

(If this is a repost my apologies)

naks

JLR and Defender owners

a1d1b1d41d485fe9b4e1e0fa3c5a38bf.jpg

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Copple

I do find it somewhat comical that the majority of the negative comments seem to stem from the styling vs the capability. Had Defender given us the bare bones Jeep alternative it would have sold in limited numbers, we’d only need to look at the last few years of original Defender sales to prove that point. People love to complain but few people were going to actually buy a new one to begin with. I’ll be the first to admit that I fall in love the the nostalgia of classic cars. But the point above about driving 5-7 hours in that same car is a valid one. I’ve driven from the Carolinas to Kansas and back in a Superformance 427 and back (epic trip) so I can at least say with some validity that I’ve been there!

I should say that I’m waiting on my 2021 Defender anxiously, ordered with the off road packages and locking differential for you purists... Heck, I’m not really sure where I was going with this post other than to say I’ve been enjoying some nice IPA’s and look forward to seeing everyone on the trails/roads/dealer service bays!

Corgi_express

I looked in to shipping the bull bar from Australia. The shipping is over two thousand AU$, for a three thousand dollar kit. Ouch.

I'd be super happy if some importer got a whole crate of them and could save on the shipping so we only have to pay a few hundred for the last leg of the journey, or pick one up at a show when those are a thing again.

Carson G

I looked in to shipping the bull bar from Australia. The shipping is over two thousand AU$, for a three thousand dollar kit. Ouch.

I'd be super happy if some importer got a whole crate of them and could save on the shipping so we only have to pay a few hundred for the last leg of the journey, or pick one up at a show when those are a thing again.
I’ll be interested to see what Lucky 8 comes up with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles