New Defender News

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Take-away

Jeep - Fully manual / analog selection of solid-axle technology did really well. Didn't need anything other than low range.

Toyota - Independent suspension required selective addition of technology (lockers, etc) to finish hill climb. Simple controls allowed easy addition during hill climb

Defender - Independent suspension that is technology loaded, takes forever to select through multi-level screens, so just default to "All" and finish hill climb. In summary "all" that technology was used to finish hill climb. The default "All" was virtually the same as the Toyota after they manually selected equipped technology.

Not sure I like the complexity of mutli-layers of menu's to turn on and off the various capabilities. Kind of like today's infotainment centers that take forever to do anything.

Carson G

Take-away

Jeep - Fully manual / analog selection of solid-axle technology did really well. Didn't need anything other than low range.

Toyota - Independent suspension required selective addition of technology (lockers, etc) to finish hill climb. Simple controls allowed easy addition during hill climb

Defender - Independent suspension that is technology loaded, takes forever to select through multi-level screens, so just default to "All" and finish hill climb. In summary "all" that technology was used to finish hill climb. The default "All" was virtually the same as the Toyota after they manually selected equipped technology.

Not sure I like the complexity of mutli-layers of menu's to turn on and off the various capabilities. Kind of like today's infotainment centers that take forever to do anything.
Yeah I think LR’s system in the LR3 was pretty much perfect big chunky knob and lever switches right in the center console that made it easy to quickly change TR mode and suspension as well as T Case settings.

jdlobb

Adventurer
The tug of war - historically a competition between groups of strong men, sometimes wearing skirts. But if you're talking about cars, this means just two people trying to prove their vehicle has better pulling power. It's quite pointless and very entertaining at the same time and today, Carwow lined up the two generations of the Land Rover Defender for such a stunt.

XJLI

Adventurer
The Arctic Trucks setup is perfect. 30mm/1" lift and 35s, hopefully you can just program that rise into the IID tool or similar and not need to use rods.

LR5.jpg

al415

Observer
I’ve seen a few of them around my area. The other night I was behind a white one while driving my 95 300tdi. I tried to keep up with it to get a better look at the tail lights etc. No chance. Looked good as it pulled away though.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Funny he complains about not wanting to be a G Wagon kind is person, but he’s okay being a Land Rover kind of Person ?. I’m always self conscious about how much driving a Land Rover makes me look like a frat boy loser.

I miss my Series one Disco. ?

Last edited:

DieselRanger

Funny he complains about not wanting to be a G Wagon kind is person, but he’s okay being a Land Rover kind of Person ?. I’m always self conscious about how much driving a Land Rover makes me look like a frat boy loser.

I miss my Series one Disco. ?

Well, being perceived as a frat boy loser is perhaps better than being perceived as a wanna-be rapper / Russian gangster.

Here in Colorado, most people just assume you're driving your wife's car.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Here in Colorado, most people just assume you're driving your wife's car.
Truth!!! My Wife always looks more at home in ether of Our Discovery's and sorry for heading off topic with the last post. It sounds like this will be the right car for Doug Demuro. I just need to brake down and Get something old or convertible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles